Which new Roomster? SE 1.2 TSI 105PS or SE 1.6 TFI 105PS

I need to decide this week which Roomster to order. I plan to keep it for 10 years and the good features are that I can put my windsurfers and gear in it with the back seats out and front passenger seat tilted flat. Also as an alternative I will be able to put 2 bikes fixed upright inside.

SE 1.2 TSI 105PS?

I'm not confident the version with the DSG will be reliable and I don't want to get out of practice of manual gear changing. Also with such a small capacity engine being turbo boosted up to 105PS I wonder if the engine will last without problems.

SE 1.6 TFI 105PS?

Probably a strong engine not too stressed. However having a DPF is a concern to me.

So what does the team suggest please?

You can have the TSI with a manual box too.

DPF is usually only a concern if you do a lot of town driving.

I'd take both for a test drive and see which you prefer... If you're keeping it 10 years then the price difference is less important and it's more important you like the car!

I've no complaints about the TSI in my Fabia, very strong engine. You won't need to rev it's head off either, it gets a big boost of torque at low rpm. Good gearbox on it too.

It isn't boosted that far really, Suzuki are getting 95bhp out of a non-turbo 1.2. That will be very peaky, VAG have gone the exact opposite.

IMO, it depends on what mileage you do each year really, if you'll be up to 20K, then the diesel is the one to go for, if it's more like 10K or less, then either will be a good choice. I don't see VAG making a small capacity turbo engine that won't last 150K miles.

Thanks Octavia 281 for your prompt reply. :thumbup:

I've arranged a test drive tomorrow but my local dealer only has the diesel version. I'd like to try the 1.2 petrol manual and will probably have to try another dealer.

I've only just "discovered" the Roomster as I have been looking for a car that meets 2 of my essential requitments of being able to carry large sports gear.

Time is running short for me to order before the 20% Vat reduction cutoff on 2nd May :whew: .

Edited by welshmike

Thanks Mike, :thumbup:

That is encouraging to learn. As I wrote in my initial message I'm a bit concerned about DPFs. The car will be doing less than 10k per year, some of it short local trips of 3 miles one way driven by my wife, the rest I'll be driving more than 20 miles one way. The SE 1.2 TSI 105PS manual looks like the best choice for us. :happy:

Re your second reply. Hopefully my locat dealer has a Fabia 1.2 TSI 86PS or 105PS.

Edited by welshmike

Get the 1.2TSi petrol without the DSG box.. how about the Scout version?? tougher lower bodywork!! And remember to spec the spare wheel!! B)

EDIT

The Scout you can get without the glass roof!! Might be better in the long run..stone chips stress cracks...people are allready having problems..further down the line it might increase your insurance.

Edited by fabdavrav

SE 1.6 TFI 105PS?

Probably a strong engine not too stressed. However having a DPF is a concern to me.

So what does the team suggest please?

You can have the TSI with a manual box too.

DPF is usually only a concern if you do a lot of town driving.

Am I missing something here, The TFI doesn't have a DPF.....................emoticon-0145-shake.gif

Just put this proposal through the Skoda configurater for a minimum spec.

Roomster Scout 1.2 TSI 105PS 5spd

Engine 1.2 TSI 105PS 5spd

Colour Pacific Blue

Total price: £16,300

RRP: £15,620

finished configuration, 25 April 2011 22:01

Optional equipment

1. Acoustic rear parking sensors - 7X1 £280

2. Bicycle holder in luggage compartment - NG7 £175

3. Electric rear windows - PHZ £155

4. Heated front seats - PW0 £165

5. Passenger airbag with switch-off function - 4UF £80

6. Space saver spare wheel - PJA £65

7. Third rear headrest - PKE £65

8. Tow bar, removable and lockable - 1D2 £315

Ideas??? B)

Get the 1.2TSi petrol without the DSG box.. how about the Scout version?? tougher lower bodywork!! And remember to spec the spare wheel!! B)

EDIT

The Scout you can get without the glass roof!! Might be better in the long run..stone chips stress cracks...people are allready having problems..further down the line it might increase your insurance.

I see that the Scout costs a bit less than the SE. What does it not have that the SE has? It's not clear to me if the SE comes by default with the glass roof.

EDIT

Where do the stone chips occur? (in the SE's non-optional glass roof?)

Edited by welshmike

Just put this proposal through the Skoda configurater for a minimum spec.

Roomster Scout 1.2 TSI 105PS 5spd

Colour Pacific Blue

Total price: £16,300

RRP: £15,620

finished configuration, 25 April 2011 22:01

Optional equipment

1. Acoustic rear parking sensors - 7X1 £280

2. Bicycle holder in luggage compartment - NG7 £175

3. Electric rear windows - PHZ £155

4. Heated front seats - PW0 £165

5. Passenger airbag with switch-off function - 4UF £80

6. Space saver spare wheel - PJA £65

7. Third rear headrest - PKE £65

8. Tow bar, removable and lockable - 1D2 £315

Ideas??? B)

I'll do the configurator for a Scout in a mo. IIRC the SE went up in price this week!!!

EDIT

Total price:

£15,770

ID:17686948

RRP:

£15,090

Model Roomster

Equipment Scout

Interior style Scout

Colour Brilliant Silver Metallic £440

Optional equipment 3 / £330

Functionality Bicycle holder in luggage compartment £175

Steering wheel / interior / seats Front armrest £90

Wheel / tyre Space saver spare wheel £65

So if I order before 2 May I get 20% discount on base price.

Total will then come to about £12,600 :-)

Edited by welshmike

SE spec gives you

Panoramic fixed glass roof

Metallic paint

Elec rear windows

Rear parking sensors

Scout gives you

16" alloys

3 spoke leather wheel, gearknob, and handbrake

Black roof rails

ESP inc ASR, EDL, HBA

Front fog lights

Tyre pressure monitor TPM

Rear disc brakes

Stainless steel pedal covers

Scout bodykit

Scout cloth upholstery

and the fact that the glass roof can be left on the options list as solid steel roof is standard B)

EDIT

I'd go for the third rear headrest as the middle seat isn't comfy without it, and the pasenger airbag de-activation is a must if you need to place a baby carrier in front passenger seat! Long term planning for eventualities B)

Edited by fabdavrav

Don't bother with the armrest, it's utterly useless. It was in my car as standard and spends all its time folded up out of the way. When it's down you can't get to the handbrake and it interferes with gearchanging. Only to be used on motorways IMO.

The leather wheel is very nice though, ESP as standard is a big plus.

£12600 for that much car is a steal :)

SE spec gives you

Panoramic fixed glass roof

Metallic paint

Elec rear windows

Rear parking sensors

Scout gives you

16" alloys

3 spoke leather wheel, gearknob, and handbrake

Black roof rails

ESP inc ASR, EDL, HBA

Front fog lights

Tyre pressure monitor TPM

Rear disc brakes

Stainless steel pedal covers

Scout bodykit

Scout cloth upholstery

and the fact that the glass roof can be left on the options list as solid steel roof is standard B)

EDIT

I'd go for the third rear headrest as the middle seat isn't comfy without it, and the pasenger airbag de-activation is a must if you need to place a baby carrier in front passenger seat! Long term planning for eventualities B)

Thanks for the tip about the 3rd rear headrest and airbag de-act. There may be a second grand-child on the way soon.

Don't bother with the armrest, it's utterly useless. It was in my car as standard and spends all its time folded up out of the way. When it's down you can't get to the handbrake and it interferes with gearchanging. Only to be used on motorways IMO.

The leather wheel is very nice though, ESP as standard is a big plus.

£12600 for that much car is a steal :)

I so much agree about the price and thanks for the tip about the obstructive armrest. (will reconfig)

The list I did in previous post brings the Scout up to SE spec (minus the glass roof and metallic paint) and adds what are the MAIN important items...Mike W above states why the front arm rest is a ****, had one on a Roomster courtesy car! B)

Edited by fabdavrav

Hi Welshmike and welcome to the Forum.

I bought my Scout new 19 months ago and specified the glass roof and spare wheel. I needed the spare wheel just two months into ownership, thanks to the state of Birmingham's roads. I will specify both on my next Roomster. I have had no problems with stone chips.

I am disappointed with the Scout's 16" wheels, which give a firm and (at times) noisy ride. They are also cr*p in the snow. The SE (15" wheels) that I originally test-drove gave a nicer ride. Sadly, 15" wheels are not an option on the Scout.

I have owned diesel cars for the last twenty years, but my next Roomster will be a 1.2TSI. The 1.2TSI develops a lot of torque for a petrol engine. It is also remarkably fuel-efficient, and of course it does not have a DPF. For these reasons, I would find it hard to justify the additional cost of a diesel-engined car. HTH

Rob

Am I missing something here, The TFI doesn't have a DPF.....................emoticon-0145-shake.gif

EDIT:

Oops, finger trouble. I should have typed TDI :blush:

Edited by welshmike

Hi Welshmike and welcome to the Forum.

I am disappointed with the Scout's 16" wheels, which give a firm and (at times) noisy ride. They are also cr*p in the snow. The SE (15" wheels) that I originally test-drove gave a nicer ride. Sadly, 15" wheels are not an option on the Scout.

Rob

Get a set of 15" rims and stick a set of 195/55/15" winter tyres on and swap over from Nov' to March on the winters like I do! Best thing ever!!!

Get a set of 15" rims and stick a set of 195/55/15" winter tyres on and swap over from Nov' to March on the winters like I do! Best thing ever!!!

I live in the South so winter tyres are not required.

EDIT

Pity about the standard 16" wheels giving a harsh and noisy ride. From Honest John's website and newspaper articles he seems to write that big wheels do that and it is worse with low profile tyres. I wonder if I can get at no extra a cost set of 15" wheels on a factory build.

EDIT: Yes the 16" wheels have wider tyres than the 15" wheels and are lower profile.

That's bad with all the potholes around.

Bit of a catch 22: SE has glass roof (bad) and 15" wheels (good), Scout has 16" wheels (bad) and can have no glass roof (good). What are Skoda thinking about?

EDIT: To avoid a glass roof my choice may becoming down to a Scout or an S.

How harsh will the Scout's 16" wheels be I wonder?

If I get an S it will be the 86PS as there is no S 105PS I would spec up the S as follows:

Roomster 1.2 S TSI 86PS 5spd

Engine 1.2 TSI 86PS 5spd

Colour Brilliant Silver Metallic

Total price: £14,325

With 20% no VAT price about £11,700

Optional equipment

Bicycle holder in luggage compartment

Black roof rails

Lower glovebox cover

Manual air conditioning

Passenger airbag with switch-off function

Remote central locking

Steel spare wheel

Sunset glass (from B-pillar back)

Third rear headrest

Edited by welshmike

I wonder if I can get at no extra a cost set of 15" wheels on a factory build.

SE has glass roof (bad)

Re: 15" wheels - I hope you have more luck than I did

Re: glass roof - I love mine; it transforms the car (good :thumbup: ). From memory, there have been very few reports of problems with the glass roof. It is a fixed pane of glass (like the windscreen).

I have 16's on my car and I wouldn't describe it as uncomfortable. 15's will be a bit more compliant though. Again, a Roomster Scout or Fabia Elegance demonstrator will tell you how the ride is.

I personally wouldn't go down to the S, go for either SE or Scout to get the 105 engine, much better pulling power if you will be carrying loads.

Re: 15" wheels - I hope you have more luck than I did

Re: glass roof - I love mine; it transforms the car (good :thumbup: ). From memory, there have been very few reports of problems with the glass roof. It is a fixed pane of glass (like the windscreen).

So with respect I hope fabdavrav was not raising undue concern about the risk of chips and cracks in the glass roof and increased insurance?

I have 16's on my car and I wouldn't describe it as uncomfortable. 15's will be a bit more compliant though. Again, a Roomster Scout or Fabia Elegance demonstrator will tell you how the ride is.

I personally wouldn't go down to the S, go for either SE or Scout to get the 105 engine, much better pulling power if you will be carrying loads.

So lots of things to check out on demonstrators this week. Looks like I may be getting indecisive but I'm not sure about that. ;)

EDIT

Thanks all for input. Time for my bed now. Tomorrow?

Edited by welshmike