MK1 Octavia (hatch) rear wiper motor

Afternoon

My Rear wiper has gone on the blink and interestingly enough this has only happened since my dealer changed the wiper blade itself as it was blocked and not releasing water. now the motor has gone about 2 weeks after the change. have already tried replacing the fuse but to no avail. is there anything i should be looking for on the old motor as a sign of a leak? my guess is that water has got into the motor and caused it to fail possibly?

also what sort of timeframe am i looking at the reaplce the motor on a hatch? any special tools needed?

thanks in advance

No special tools bar a few sockets. The hardest part is getting the hatch plastic cover back on.

The motors generally do fail so probably a coincidence. Probably best to find a replacement as I fixed mine and soon after it packed up again. OR remove it and use a rubber bung/grommet.

Afternoon

My Rear wiper has gone on the blink and interestingly enough this has only happened since my dealer changed the wiper blade itself as it was blocked and not releasing water. now the motor has gone about 2 weeks after the change. have already tried replacing the fuse but to no avail. is there anything i should be looking for on the old motor as a sign of a leak? my guess is that water has got into the motor and caused it to fail possibly?

also what sort of timeframe am i looking at the reaplce the motor on a hatch? any special tools needed?

thanks in advance

Very common problem, and covered many times on here. Bad design wiper asm lets in the water and also the water jet tube that runs inside the wiper asm corrodes and lets in water into the asm. The first you know about it is the water stops coming out of the wiper arm and starts dripping in the boot. So try not to use it as water will be filling up in boot. If you remove the plastic cover on the hatch you will probably see water marks.

As stated easy to replace,

Remove wiper arm, 13mm nut under the plastic arm cover plastic cover

Remove Hatch plastic cover

Remove water pipe to motor asm and mulitplug

Remove the 3 nuts hold asm to hatch

Job done

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bowders1 - a quick add on question. You say 'under the plastic arm cover'... I need to adjust the spray angle of my water jets. To remove the cover, is it just a question of (gently) prising it off? Or, is there some other way such as removing screws/nuts?

TIA Ian

Bowders1 - a quick add on question. You say 'under the plastic arm cover'... I need to adjust the spray angle of my water jets. To remove the cover, is it just a question of (gently) prising it off? Or, is there some other way such as removing screws/nuts?

TIA Ian

Not sure about the MK2 Octy hatch, but to adjust the 2 jets on the MK1 you do not need to prise up the plastic arm cover. You just need to get a pin or similar to slot into the jets that are up the wiper arm and adjust them by moving them to a position that suits your window. This is trial and error as a slight movement will send the jet shooting water well over the car.

You only need to prise up the arm cover when you what to remove the wiper arm itself.(to get to the nut)

hope this helps

Not sure if it's Mk1 or Mk2 (I bought it Dec 2008 pre the ?facelift and the blade is a bendy all-in-one type - not the cantilevered sort. The jets are too deeply hidden to get at simply with a pin. I'll try some gentle prising off tomorrow!

Update - ok so the cover comes of really easily. With the blade at rest, pull the sides apart above and below. There's a hook pivoting to the R. then the two-hole nozzle is just sitting there. I can't see if the jets can be adjusted, but sticking a pin in and trying does make a difference albeit hard to get the spray patterns 'just right'.

Edited by IanC747

• 1 year later...

Hi folks,

I also need some help re my rear wiper motor. It has packed in, what I need if anyone has it to hand is the part number, mine is a mk1 2001 vrs hatchback.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing from someone pretty soon. And incase anyone is thinking of writing to me to tell me to remove the plastic cover and have a look myself, I'm afraid I cannot as I am disabled so any help will be gratefully appreciated

Thanks ' Radioman'