MOT results - parking brake failure.

As above really!

Got a call back from the garage today and everything else passed no bother at all. However they have said that It failed on the parking brake and that I needed a new O/S calliper.

Does this seem right? If they order it, cost will be £120 plus VAT so I will be looking for one myself.

Anyone recommend a site?

Thanks In advance ;)

Im sure theres a post somewhere regarding this issue. Had the same problem myself with the handbrake not releasing properly sorted with a couple of springs which prevent it from sticking.

Only a few quid from dealer.

Im sure theres a post somewhere regarding this issue. Had the same problem myself with the handbrake not releasing properly sorted with a couple of springs which prevent it from sticking.

Only a few quid from dealer.

Not bad! I'm a little confused as to why the whole caliper need's replaced and it cant just be fixed ie new springs or something?

Hand brake isnt strong enough so surely there is a better way than just replacing the whole unit?

bump

I had the same issue with a vag golf....probably same setup.

The handbrake was not releasing.....there was nothing wrong with the cable itself but the cable inner sheath was moving....new handbrake cable sorted it (about £10 from dealer).

I dont understand the new caliper thing.

Actually, i do understand the brake caliper thing.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/190663-handbrake-lever-on-caliper-stuck/page__p__2274391#entry2274391

While the rear brake (foot) worked fine the lever for the brake cable was stuck in the 'On/Brake' position. However, the wheel still was free/spinning.

So, i took the caliper off, unclipped the brake cable, checked to see if the cable was free - it was - & using a hammer & half a can of WD40 I freed up the lever. Once the lever was free enough i pumped it with my hand (!!!!), added more WD40, wound the piston back in (you need a tool for that) repeated until i was happy that it was no longer going to jam up.

I wonder if you have the same issue?

Thanks for the replies guys,

Chris Berry - Quite possible Its the same situation as yourself then! I'm picking the car up tomorrow morning as I'll need it for work etc. so I'll get a proper description as to the problem and let you know. If this is the case I will spend some time at the weekend doing what you have done and see how I get on, saves me spending £100+ :)

Legend, cheers man! Actually spotted these earlier but meh Its the idea of not knowing the condition that these are In and If they are worn out or that,

I'll speak to the garage and find out in detail why I need new calipers and take It from there!

Well seems i have a similar problem. Got mine back, fine apart from parking brake efficiency below requirements and offside rear parking brake recording little or no effort. They couldnt even say what the problem was as they would need the car for a while, i remembered this thread so thought id have a look. Any suggestions as to what mine are? Obviously the first one sounds similar, new calipers needed probably. Think im going to order new rear brake pads at the same time too.

Sorry for thread hi-jack, just easier having it all in one place!

My rear brakes have the same issue as well. Mechanic looked at them yesterday and managed to free them up, and they are working fine for now, but he did suggest trying to find a new calliper. Said it's usually common on 100k miles+ golf's but mine was the first fabia he had seen like it :thumbdown:

Not bad! I'm a little confused as to why the whole caliper need's replaced and it cant just be fixed ie new springs or something?

Hand brake isnt strong enough so surely there is a better way than just replacing the whole unit?

bump

The issue will be, if its the handbrake mechanism that has seized or is malfunctioning, that the part that has failed is part of the rear calliper. Now if you have a seized "lever movment" and you can free it up, then that is all you need to do - though re-zeroing the pistons is usefull. The extra (externally mounted) spring, was to correct a slightly differant failure, which was that the handbrake lever, mainly the O/S one, stopped getting returned to its rest position by what ever system is built into these callipers - and adding an external spring sorted that out without the need to replace the calliper. I'd reckon that most braking systems benefit from getting a "post winter" clean up - that is if you are capable of doing that type of job. It allows you to free up everything that needs to move and re-lub it and remove any build up of road curd and brake dust - and maybe even rust.

Edited by rum4mo

The calipers are common across the VAG range, so they can easily be picked up from a breakers for about £20. Most of the exterior parts are alloy so they are fairly easy to clean up and paint if needs be.

Many thanks for the help guys!

So me and a friend took the wheel off and had a good look at the handbrake. The lever on the O/S wasnt fully returning and so I just moved it back and forth with my hands and caked it in DW-40, tightened the handbrake and although Its still not fully returning It is so much better and Is difficult to drive away with the handbrake on!

Its due its retest at 2pm today so Im hoping It will be fine,

what do you guys think?