4x4 Cat on a vRS?

I've just been thinking.

Giving that the 4x4 octy has a less restrictive twin cat setup, rather than the single one found on the vRS, would it be worth fitting a 4x4 cat to a vRS?

I guess it won't be as good as a proper sports cat, but it would surely be better than the vrs one.

Idea? :thumbup:

would that not mean changing the downpipe too, I assumed as the 4x4 has twin cat then the downpipe will split into two for the cat, or is it just the pipe with the cat in it that splits and joins for twin cat?

Also from what i've been told the standard VW cats are just as good as a sport cat, don't know if skoda use the VW cats or not.

EDIT: Asking about the 4x4 cat and i've got one sat on the drive lol, bit dark to look now :giggle:

Edited by 4x4 1.8t Octy

I'm not sure what it looks like, I've just heard that it has a twin cat setup. The downpipe is probably different though.

Can you have a look when its light? :rofl:

my neighbours must think i'm mad(if they saw me :wonder: )just had a quick look/feel of the cat, think it's the same size pipe all the way through from the downpipe. The downpipe is a single pipe that splits just before the cat, the left of the pic is actually the front of the car. so will need a 4x4 or custom downpipe too. don't know what size the pipes are though on either the 4x4 or vRS

I guess it won't be as good as a proper sports cat, but it would surely be better than the vrs one.

Idea? :thumbup:

Why do you think that? you have 2 restrictions and not 1. The overall mas of the 2 may be bigger than the VRS one.

would that not mean changing the downpipe too, I assumed as the 4x4 has twin cat then the downpipe will split into two for the cat, or is it just the pipe with the cat in it that splits and joins for twin cat?

Also from what i've been told the standard VW cats are just as good as a sport cat, don't know if skoda use the VW cats or not.

It would indeed mean messing with the down pipe to get 2 cat on and then messing with the other side to get the centre pipe lined up correctly.

Also the 2 areas of the std downpipe / cat that is resrictive on the VRS is just the same as the 4x4. The small width and joins on the downpipe and the cat itself. A sport cat is something like a cell 200 or even cell 100(race cats) which is higher flow than a std vw/skoda cat.

Surely one single large pipe is better for flow? Where the two pipes rejoin there will be a restriction/disturbance of the air flow.

For ease why not just get a 2.5" or 3" performance down pipe off the shelf?

Steve

+1

sorry but imho a bit of a pointless exercise to try an do it.. but OP good to have thoughts buddy.... :thumbup:

Interesting why a 4x4 has 2 cats though?

You are on to something there......... :rofl:

Because of the height of the prop shaft. You can just about make it out in the pictures.

Steve

Ah yes, forgot the drive train to the rear axle. :thumbup:

So then the 4x4 does probably have a wider tunnel to take the prop and twin cats, and therfore as the VRS does not have the same tunnel, I doub't those twin cats would fit to the VRS, without some reforming.

Any chance you could measure the diameter of the inlet pipe to the cat and the distance centre to centre of the studs on the flange for me?

Octy_4x4_ToSell__004_Exhaust.jpg

Ø43.17mm

Ø9.75mm

3mm

distance centre to centre of the studs on the flange

not quite sure what measurement you mean there

distance centre to centre of the studs on the flange for me?

not quite sure what measurement you mean there

Octavia4x4Flange.jpg

The distance in yellow please.

Edited by SimonJ

Wow, you can see how restrictive the cats are, can't you. :o

I guess the downpipe is the same diameter (before it splits) as the vRS anyway, I just thought the twin cats might be less restrictive, that's all. Obviously the ideal solution would be a proper sports cat, but if you could find a twin cat car in a scrappy, it might be worth a shot.