New SE Plus Trim - why a new 1.8 engine?

You may have seen that Skoda have launched a new SE Plus trim for the range, including the Octavia. Looks good value, though the new, more restrictive 5% vat offer takes the gloss off it for new customers.

My link

My question is: why the new 152PS rated 1.8 TSI engine available exclusively in the SE Plus? Is it to trial a new version of the engine prior to the brand new Octavia fom 2012/2013 (and for other models)? Is it to differentiate from the more expensive Elegance / Scout etc?

It's all the more confusing as, looking at the performance specifications on the Skoda website, there appear to be very few differences other than the power rating: torque is the same as the existing 160PS engine, CO2 and fuel economy does not change, acceleration is the same and weight is unaffected. Only the maximum speed is different: it reduces from 139 to 135mph (for the hatch).

The comparison on the Skoda website uses different terminology for some of the detail description.

My link

For example:

1.8 TSI 160 PS (different wording highlighted in bold)

Clutch Hydraulically-activated single-plate dry clutch with diaphragm spring, asbestos-free coating

Suspension McPherson axle with bottom triangular control arms and independent multi-link suspension with one longitudinal and two cross arms torsion stabiliser

Braking system Hydraulic dual curcuit brake system with diagonal interconnection, vacuum assisted dual rate brake booster

Front brakes Disc brakes, with hollow discs, internal cooling and single-piston floating caliper

Rear brakes Disc brakes with full discs and single-piston floating calipers

Handbrake Mechanical handbrake operating on rear wheels

Steering Direct rack and pinion steering with electronic with electrohydraulic power steering

WHEREAS

1.8 TSI 152PS

Clutch hydraulic single dry clutch disc with membrane spring, asbestos free

Suspension McPherson suspension with lower triangular links and torsion stabiliser/multi-element axle, with one longitudinal and three transverse links, with torsion stabiliser.

Braking system Hydraulic dual diagonal circuit braking system vacuum assisted with Dual Rate system

Front brakes Disc brakes with inner cooling, with single/piston floating caliper

Rear brakes Disc brakes

Handbrake Mechanical handbrake operating on rear wheels

Steering Direct rack and pinion steering with electromechanical power steering

Is the different wording meaningless (i.e. for the clutch, the word 'diaphragm' replaced by 'membrane')? Or are there some other detail changes?

ANY THOUGHTS???

Edited by zippy

Probably a trainee marketing bod who does not know his cylinder block from his crankshaftemoticon-0120-doh.gif

He used the wrong conversion from Kw to hp

I thought that to begin with but it's definitely a new engine...! It's advertised as such and has a separate entry on the performance section of the Skoda website (I've added the link to my original post).

I have a 1.8TSI in SE trim which I had under the scrappage scheme in Sep 2009 when I had wanted a 1.4TSI which could not be supplied within the 4 months allowed under scrappage.

Are Skoda supplying 1.8TSI again due to engine shortages?

I think they have cut corners in the spec.

The Sat Nav is an Amundsen not a Columbus and the Bluetooth is a GSMII not a GSMIII with RSAP

whats a Amundsen ?

whats a Amundsen ?

A cheaper version of sat nav without the hard drive so you can only play your own music via sd card or cd player and you have to have the map disc in the player for the maps.

Ian

speaking of engines.......i noticed skoda uk is still using the "wrong engine description" for the octavia vrs petrol models - its a 2.0L "TSI" engine, not a "T FSI"!!!

they're two different engines altogether!

as the op has said, why a 'new' 152ps take on the 1.8tsi engine?? ive asked the same question over on the superb forum, just seems strange that skoda only offer it in the new 'se plus' trim and all other trims keep the 160ps.

i did notice that under the performance section on the superb page the 160ps is listed as euro4 and the 152ps as euroV.

• 11 months later...