Bentley or Haynes Manual?

Which is the better one to get for the octavia?

Do either list vRS specific stuff too?

I need nice clear wiring diagrams ideally.

I i have a haynes and it is really good for the 1.8 turbo also covers other models

Haynes you cant go wrong, it even has pictures and guides to the 1.8T engine. :thumbup:

I have always gone with Haynes , you look back on the list of cars by the manuals I have ......

They have always been Haynes.....

Sarah

I've never used a Bentley manual, but I do occasionally work with electrical schematics and IMO Trading Standards should be after Haynes for describing their pics as such.

The Bentley manuals are generally made only for USA models and are not available for all European cars. I have a few Bentley manuals for Golf MK4 and an old '71 Beetle & VW camper van bus .

IMHO the Bentley manuals are in a different league than the Haynes. My MK4 Golf Bentley manual is 2.5 inches(60mm) thick & weighs about 4 times as heavy as a Haynes manual ( and it's got a soft backing ) !

The Bentley illustrations & photos are much better than those in the Haynes manual.

Bentley manuals are about 4 times more as expensive as a Haynes manual but if you can get a second hand one and intend to keep your car for a few years they can be a good buy.

Edited by vwcabriolet1971

• 4 weeks later...

Bentley manual for a full, comprehensive explosion diagrams, full detail etc - As said, different league opposed to the Haynes. Everything is very methodical, step by step and used by VW technicians in the states when the aircooled's were the daily hack.

Haynes for a brief, confusion of what to do. E.g "Take the door panel off. This is done by using a screw driver. Once removed you can now get access to the winding mechanism."

I've used many of both and my advice is to try find a Bentley Manual. They are a bit more expensive, but buy right, buy once ;)

Haynes are OK for basic home maintenance - but they often leave out some crucial stuff.

Bentley are much more detailed.

Anyone used Clymer manuals?

As someone else said, just get the full workshop manual from Skoda.

I have it, and it's superb. Much better than the Haynes "manual"! It has specific chapters for the RS engine and gearbox.

I have the Haynes too, but rarely use it because it seems to skim over most things, or lie about stuff! If you have a Haynes manual check out the section on winding in the rear pistons. It shows the guy using some circlip pliers to simply rotate the caliper pistons to wind them in.... which is completely impossible and they would have found that out if they had tried it! It's a really stupid mistake, and made me lose all faith in the book.

Bentley don't make any manuals for Skoda's, so the closest you could do would be to get one for Mk4 Golf.

Have never used the Bentley manual so interested in finding one.

I did once try to load a software CD for the workshop manual but gave up as it to wanted to only work for MK2 Skoda Octavia's

I used to be a big supporter of the Haynes manuals and used them right up from my old MK1 Mexico days. But todays version of Haynes are very poor and aimed at light work and not technical stuff. It is if the car manufactures have paid Haynes to cut short of anything decent in them. The statement "refer to the main dealer" is so annoying. Basic stuff yes it is ok.

As someone else said, just get the full workshop manual from Skoda.

I have it, and it's superb. Much better than the Haynes "manual"! It has specific chapters for the RS engine and gearbox.

I have the Haynes too, but rarely use it because it seems to skim over most things, or lie about stuff! If you have a Haynes manual check out the section on winding in the rear pistons. It shows the guy using some circlip pliers to simply rotate the caliper pistons to wind them in.... which is completely impossible and they would have found that out if they had tried it! It's a really stupid mistake, and made me lose all faith in the book.

Bentley don't make any manuals for Skoda's, so the closest you could do would be to get one for Mk4 Golf.

Using pliers to try and rotate rear brake pistons is also very dangerous - if the pliers slip you may find them buried deep in your other hand.