Sound Proofing (changed title) + Alternative to Plastic Wheel Arch?

My_Yeti

Hi,

Just browsing on google regarding sound deadening, as I am quite keen to dampen the tire roar, kind of decided on either Duralay King 0.8 TOG or Trade Priced Prima 12 PU. Planning to line the boot and spare tire well, should have some left over for front foot well and under rear seats.

Anyway, just been looking at different car parts website and came across this: http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/WHEEL_ARCH_MOULDING_BLACK_TRMWAB

I have never seen this before, but could be an excellent alternative to the plastic wheel arch, I guess it would look similar to Quahqai and Tiguan's wheel arches when fitted?

Edited by My_Yeti
  • Like 1

I don't think you are looking at the right type of insulation. The purpose is to reduce sound transmission through the sheet metal and to stop flat sheet metal panels from "drumming". Soft insulation will not accomplish the second task and is not very effective at the first.

You need something dense taht sticks to the panels and dampen the sound and is dead enough to stop the panels from drumming. The standard method in vehicles is heavy tarpaper with glue on one side. The thicker and heavier the better. Mostly, it is a waste to use it on very curvy forms, so concentrate of flat areas. If you really want to do something inside the wheel arches, take the original plastic or fibre liners out. Use a heavy undercoating mastic in the wheel well and put the original liners back on.

The first two linked items are not at all suitable for car use. They are indoor products and if fitted in a car will easily soak up condensation, causing misted up windows and rust.

You need to look for proper vehicle insulation products.

Personally I don't think the Yeti is very noisy.

Anyway, just been looking at different car parts website and came across this: http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/WHEEL_ARCH_MOULDING_BLACK_TRMWAB

Notice they also do some nice grill mesh - ideal for the posters who where looking to put a mesh to stop damage to the intercooler rad!!

I used a company called noisekiller that I found recommended on the Octavia forum. They fitted sound insulation to the boot, under the back seat, transmission tunnel and both front and rear footwells. It did make a bit of a difference. I had come from a BMW e39 5 series touring which was very quiet. the Skoda insulation was about 5mm thick, the BMW's was about 50mm.........no comparison.

I used a company called noisekiller that I found recommended on the Octavia forum. They fitted sound insulation to the boot, under the back seat, transmission tunnel and both front and rear footwells. It did make a bit of a difference. I had come from a BMW e39 5 series touring which was very quiet. the Skoda insulation was about 5mm thick, the BMW's was about 50mm.........no comparison.

I would be interested to find out more about them. I visited their website yesterday and is very keen and after researching on the Octavia forum, I found a video comparing before and after fit and my main concern, which is tire roar doesn't seemed to be reduced.

So what is your finding, you said a bit of difference - how is tire roar, has that been sorted?

I am planning to fit the underlay I posted earlier in the boot (as suggested by Octavia forum) and hopefully that would reduce some noise as there is virtually no sound proofing there. My old Audi A6 has double boot and two insulation and that was much quieter.

Thanks Agerbundsen and Llanigraham, I have had a look at Dynamat and Noisekiller, but both are substantially more expensive and I thought 2.99 might worth a try.

I think someone use Cloud 9 underlay which is the same as mine which is rubber based, of course I will be keeping a closer eye on any damp, but I deliberately went against wool based underlay. Apparently it drowns out 41 db of noise.

I would be interested to find out more about them. I visited their website yesterday and is very keen and after researching on the Octavia forum, I found a video comparing before and after fit and my main concern, which is tire roar doesn't seemed to be reduced.

So what is your finding, you said a bit of difference - how is tire roar, has that been sorted?

I am planning to fit the underlay I posted earlier in the boot (as suggested by Octavia forum) and hopefully that would reduce some noise as there is virtually no sound proofing there. My old Audi A6 has double boot and two insulation and that was much quieter.

Remember your A6 was a £30-40k car originally I guess, and you are comparing a £14-£18000 car with it. You will never get close. You will be able to improve things a little, but in my experience it did not make much noticeable effect on tyre noise, which is so much better in the Yeti than the Octavia.

I my experience you would have to strip out the inside of the car, the whole of the dash and seats, remove all the carpets and then apply Dynamat, which appears to be the best from what I can tell, as you really need to deal with the bulkhead and the front wheelarches as well as the lower parts of the car.

I think Agerb's suggestion of a heavy mastic/ undercoating would be the cheapest and most sensible suggestion of our 'cheap' cars....(or buy a Q5emoticon-0140-rofl.gif)

The first two linked items are not at all suitable for car use. They are indoor products and if fitted in a car will easily soak up condensation, causing misted up windows and rust.

You need to look for proper vehicle insulation products.

Personally I don't think the Yeti is very noisy.

compared to Concorde....emoticon-0140-rofl.gif (or an Octavia)

I don't think you are looking at the right type of insulation. The purpose is to reduce sound transmission through the sheet metal and to stop flat sheet metal panels from "drumming". Soft insulation will not accomplish the second task and is not very effective at the first.

You need something dense taht sticks to the panels and dampen the sound and is dead enough to stop the panels from drumming. The standard method in vehicles is heavy tarpaper with glue on one side. The thicker and heavier the better. Mostly, it is a waste to use it on very curvy forms, so concentrate of flat areas.

Something like this?

I had a look at those pads, but they look quite thin and I am not sure how effective they would be.

WRT your earlier reply. Thanks. I find the tyre roar quite intrusive, but when I drive on the smoothest tarmac on newly paved motorways then all I could hear is some wind noise. Tyre roar is my main concern, and ripping out the interior is perhaps a little beyond my skills set and I would not want to do that to a new-ish car.

I understand a new set of tires might actually make a difference to road noise, will investigate that.

I had a look at those pads, but they look quite thin and I am not sure how effective they would be.

WRT your earlier reply. Thanks. I find the tyre roar quite intrusive, but when I drive on the smoothest tarmac on newly paved motorways then all I could hear is some wind noise. Tyre roar is my main concern, and ripping out the interior is perhaps a little beyond my skills set and I would not want to do that to a new-ish car.

I understand a new set of tires might actually make a difference to road noise, will investigate that.

I put Michelin Primacy HP's on my Octavia and it made much more difference than the sound insulation did.

I put Michelin Primacy HP's on my Octavia and it made much more difference than the sound insulation did.

Just wondering what you had before? I have original Good Year Excellence on and they are apparently one of the quietest, so I don't actually know what o buy instead, well anyway, it would be until a while later when they are worn.

Just wondering what you had before? I have original Good Year Excellence on and they are apparently one of the quietest, so I don't actually know what o buy instead, well anyway, it would be until a while later when they are worn.

P6000. terrible tyre which the car came with when I bought it at 2 3/4 years old & 62K

I did the same on my Octy Combi with the same result. I also put the bitumen sticky panels in selected places in the boot and under the rear seat, which helped some. The Octy was significantly noisier than the Yeti, which i find very quiet and comfortable. There is little wind noise till you get over 140 km/hr - which is not a daily occurrance.

I do not find the tyre roar to be very noticeable in the Yeti. It may have something to do with the tyre/road surfaces interaction, where you may have a generaly coarser road surface in Britain than we have here. It is quite noticeable on a few motorway stretches, where a very coarse aggregate (1") was used some time ago, but those are disappearing.

Considering the basic box shape of the Yeti, I feel that the aerodynamic engineers have done an excellent job on the Yeti. The interior noise level is reported somewhere to be around 72 dBA and some speed, which is very acceptable. The 41 dBA reduction reported by someone is a HUGE number, and not really believeable. Remember that the decibel scale is logrithmic, so a 10 dBA reduction is about 50% lower noise level.

I did the same on my Octy Combi with the same result. I also put the bitumen sticky panels in selected places in the boot and under the rear seat, which helped some. The Octy was significantly noisier than the Yeti, which i find very quiet and comfortable. There is little wind noise till you get over 140 km/hr - which is not a daily occurrance.

I do not find the tyre roar to be very noticeable in the Yeti. It may have something to do with the tyre/road surfaces interaction, where you may have a generaly coarser road surface in Britain than we have here. It is quite noticeable on a few motorway stretches, where a very coarse aggregate (1") was used some time ago, but those are disappearing.

Considering the basic box shape of the Yeti, I feel that the aerodynamic engineers have done an excellent job on the Yeti. The interior noise level is reported somewhere to be around 72 dBA and some speed, which is very acceptable. The 41 dBA reduction reported by someone is a HUGE number, and not really believeable. Remember that the decibel scale is logrithmic, so a 10 dBA reduction is about 50% lower noise level.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Didn't know a lot about decibel scales, some of the roads in the UK (motorway) especially are quite coarse, some of the roads are currently being repaved with quiter tarmac.

I agree the engine noise and wind noise is very good and subdued at speed even above 70mph, however my main concern is tyre roar, which could be sorted by changing tires, as both you and rockhopper report no discernable difference in tyre roar after fitting sound insulation.

As far as I am concern sound proofing is the same between all Yeti's be it E model or Elegance.

I am wondering, I notice Agerbundsen has spare wheel fitted, and rockhopper, do you have spare wheel fitted?

I was just revisiting TP's thread on sparewheels, it seems that options provide a wooden board (and the wheel may actually eliminate some sound off the road) where as mine, only provides some thin carpets. http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/156798-spare-wheel-assembly/

As far as I am concern sound proofing is the same between all Yeti's be it E model or Elegance.

I am wondering, I notice Agerbundsen has spare wheel fitted, and rockhopper, do you have spare wheel fitted?

I was just revisiting TP's thread on sparewheels, it seems that options provide a wooden board (and the wheel may actually eliminate some sound off the road) where as mine, only provides some thin carpets. http://briskoda.net/...wheel-assembly/

I have the spare wheel fitted, but not where it left the factory and I also have the polystyrene filler and the boot carpet like you and a rubber mat. I wanted more boot space and a spare wheel.......

post-36710-0-57988200-1305068268_thumb.jpg

I bought the spare wheel after taking delivery of the car, maybe two months later. I did not notice any difference in the noise level after installing the spare and the new boot floor.

Your concern is the tyre roar, which probably comes mostly from the front, so no real change withor without the spare.

I added noise killer pack,second skin damplifier and luxury liner to my octavia estate. Reduced the noise a bit, but to be honest it wasn't worth it. Yes it made a bit of a difference but changing tyres has a larger impact.

Brilliant, thanks for all the reply.

Fitted the thickest underlay I can find that is not wool based (this is rubberish) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tredaire-Carpet-underlay-Dreamwalk-per-SqM-only-2-99-/250792757656?pt=UK_Home_Garden_FittedCarpets_Underlay_SM&hash=item3a6469c998

Also fitted a couple of layers of Bitumen based sound proofing in the boot.

Just came back from a testdrive, sound wise, tyre roar is still quite loud, but it is quieter than before, as I didn't need to yank up the radio by as much! So some result for a little more than £10 of materials (took about 1.5 hours)!