Retrofit Cruise Control

Hi all,

I have recently purchased cruise control for my Octy Vrs Mk1.

I have searched and found many posts and some links explaining the process, but was surprised not to find a guide on this forum.

Now from what I have read I believe I have the old version of cruise control, part no BLO 953 513J.

I got the stalk and one loom of wire. As I understand it I need another loom of wire for this to fit my Vrs, is the second loom something I can jury rig myself?

If anyone knows of a comprehensive guide for the Octy Vrs I would be very grateful, particularly the wiring guide.

Many Thanks

Paul

You need to second loom to take to the ecu from the connection point. Yes you could make it yourself, just depends on how good your soldering skills are and if you know which terminals to get into on the ECU plug.

Hi all,

I have searched and found many posts and some links explaining the process, but was surprised not to find a guide on this forum.

Now from what I have read I believe I have the old version of cruise control, part no BLO 953 513J.

I got the stalk and one loom of wire. As I understand it I need another loom of wire for this to fit my Vrs, is the second loom something I can jury rig myself?

If anyone knows of a comprehensive guide for the Octy Vrs I would be very grateful, particularly the wiring guide.

Many Thanks

Paul

If you have a Skoda supplied kit it will only come with the stalk and one loom this fits in the stalk and a single wire with fuse point feeds to the fuse box ,then feeds through the bulkhead connectors and requires a hole to be drilled in the connector plastic cover,a grommet is then fitted and the loom passes through this and then is taken diirectly to the ecu.

other kits supply two looms, the 1st comes from the stalk and goes to a spare bulkhead connector,the second goes to the other half of the same connections/connector acting as an extension exactly as Techie mentioned then to the ecu.

Bazaa

Hi all,

Many Thanks

Paul

Search ebay for the cruise control,wiring loom and the ad will come with a PDF install guide. just follow that.

make sure you follow the 1.8t guide though which covers the extra wiring and the 121 poll loom

I am waiting for my 2nd loom and will be doing a DIY install to :thumbup:

• Like 1

If you have a Skoda supplied kit it will only come with the stalk and one loom this fits in the stalk and a single wire with fuse point feeds to the fuse box ,then feeds through the bulkhead connectors and requires a hole to be drilled in the connector plastic cover,a grommet is then fitted and the loom passes through this and then is taken diirectly to the ecu.

other kits supply two looms, the 1st comes from the stalk and goes to a spare bulkhead connector,the second goes to the other half of the same connections/connector acting as an extension exactly as Techie mentioned then to the ecu.

Bazaa

You did get a MK1 Octavia petrol kit with both looms and the TDI kit with one loom. Both however have now been discontinued from Skoda.

retro cruise control kit BEA300003

is available from skoda or TPS- £69

and has only ever been suppled with one loom for mk1 octavia petrol for retrofit .

http://www.accessories.skoda.co.uk/productdetail.aspx?p_no=BEA300003

Techie do you know the pt no. of the kits that were supplied with two looms by skoda.

Very interesting as ive only seen two looms with ebay suppliers.

cheers bazaa

still confused, is there not a decent guide specific to the octy vrs anywhere!?

As Im getting conflicting advice from you guys. Do I need a seperate loom or do I reroute the one I have directly to the ecu!?

confused.

You still do the same thing, just the 2 loom option means you dont need to drill a hole to get the wire through, you use an existing connector that isnt being used currently. Everything else is the same.

You still do the same thing, just the 2 loom option means you dont need to drill a hole to get the wire through, you use an existing connector that isnt being used currently. Everything else is the same.

Ok so the loom I have should go directly to the ECU I just need to drill a hole somewhere.

Do you happen to know where I might find a guide showing me where to drill said hole?

Many Thanks

Paul

retro cruise control kit BEA300003

is available from skoda or TPS- £69

and has only ever been suppled with one loom for mk1 octavia petrol for retrofit .

http://www.accessories.skoda.co.uk/productdetail.aspx?p_no=BEA300003

Techie do you know the pt no. of the kits that were supplied with two looms by skoda.

Very interesting as ive only seen two looms with ebay suppliers.

cheers bazaa

From memory...

The orginal kit 1J0012175A had all three looms in the kit.

This was replaced by BEA300002 (diesel) and BEA300003 (petrol). For a short period BEA300003 included all three looms.

The latest part numbers are 1J0998527A (diesel) and 1J0998527B (petrol).

Not at work today so you need to confirm the codes.

Ok so the loom I have should go directly to the ECU I just need to drill a hole somewhere.

Do you happen to know where I might find a guide showing me where to drill said hole?

Many Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul.

If you have purchased a kit that is for the VRS(same as 1.8t petrol engines) then that kit will come with all the parts. (2 looms and a stalk)

Which should be the following:

-Replacement Indicator Stalk with Cruise Control Function (std across the range)

-Stalk-Bulkhead Loom (std across the range)

-121 Pole ECU Loom (this is specific to the 1.8t petrol)

The 121 loom is only for 1.8t petrol else a another loom is used for diesels

There should be no need to drill any holes in the car those holes will be there or have a bung in them.

As mentioned before some of the ebay ads are very good in supplying info.

Like thise one. which shows the old version and new version stalk plus the 2 looms you shuold have.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-TT-A3-1-8T-Retrofit-Cruise-Control-Kit-/370095852365?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item562b6e8b4d

Even has a a link to the PDF instruction guide for fitting

http://vwgolfr32.co.uk/ccs.pdf

(Ignore pages 9-12 if fitting to a TDi Engine)

hope this helps...

Hi Paul.

If you have purchased a kit that is for the VRS(same as 1.8t petrol engines) then that kit will come with all the parts. (2 looms and a stalk)

Which should be the following:

-Replacement Indicator Stalk with Cruise Control Function (std across the range)

-Stalk-Bulkhead Loom (std across the range)

-121 Pole ECU Loom (this is specific to the 1.8t petrol)

The 121 loom is only for 1.8t petrol else a another loom is used for diesels

There should be no need to drill any holes in the car those holes will be there or have a bung in them.

As mentioned before some of the ebay ads are very good in supplying info.

Like thise one. which shows the old version and new version stalk plus the 2 looms you shuold have.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-TT-A3-1-8T-Retrofit-Cruise-Control-Kit-/370095852365?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item562b6e8b4d

Even has a a link to the PDF instruction guide for fitting

http://vwgolfr32.co.uk/ccs.pdf

(Ignore pages 9-12 if fitting to a TDi Engine)

hope this helps...

Hi Bowders,

I bought the older version which comes with only one loom. Here is the link to the one I bought:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150571755176&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

As I only have the one loom the way I have understood it is I either; 1. Buy an extra loom, 2. Make an extra loom or 3. route the loom I have through the bulkhead (drilling a hole somewhere) directly to the ECU.

As I am skint at the moment I am looking at ways to do this without spending anymore money, therefore I am left with options 2 or 3.

I'm guessing I could probably make a loom from the loom I remove when swopping the stalks

Now, could anybody give me some detail on this second loom and so I can see what is required to make my own, eg how many wires and what length...

Failing that could somebody advise me on where to drill this hole and how to route the one loom I have.

Many Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,

So you are missing this wiring loom

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Golf-Bora-Leon-TT-1-8T-Cruise-Control-121Pole-ECU-Loom-/360213204109?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53de614c8d

which is needed for the 1.8t petrol engine.

I have that loom and waiting to fit it to my motor with the cruise control bits. So i guess i could measure the length etc and advise how many wires :thumbup:

That loom is £23 so i bit the bullet and bought it rather than try and make one up and find the right crimps. Not sure if you can just extend you other cables and looms you have left over but don't see why not.

Page 10 on the install guide which is in all these ebay add can assist you on where to fit the cables. As you need to go through the bulk head just use the main wiring loom in the bulk head rather than drill any holes.

If you remove the fuse box(side of the drivers dash) and the plastic trim covering wipers to expose ECU you should be able to see where the main loom comes out.

Hi Bowders,

Thanks for taking the time to help. If you could possibly post a picture of the second loom you have that would be useful, and perhaps a rough idea of the length.

Thanks again mate, its starting to make a bit more sense now ;)

Best Regards

Paul

Mali post a picture of your loom,

then we can see if it is the one that goes directly to the ecu or part of a two part one, it will be better if you can show the terminals on the end clearly.

bazaa

Here you go, its approx 1 metre long.

post-6465-0-99579500-1304958490_thumb.jpg

this is different to the ones i fit so must be the two loom version

follow this link it is a different car but is pretty much the same

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/221940.aspx

and this shows the second loom http://www.carbasics.co.uk/vw_golf_mk4_cruise_control.htm

bazaa

Edited by bazaa

cheers mate, only problem with that guide is the link for 1.8t models doesnt work....

Also on the first link I get as far as the fuse box part where it mentions a small black clip that I dont have?

With this terminal now removed, splay out the hooks if they were pushed back, and insert the terminal into the loose plastic clip that came with the Cruise Control wiring loom. (Part# 191972701).

coming out of the back of the fuse box on fuse 5 there will be a black wire with blue trace. you just join or solder your wire the one without a crimped end it looks like it is the same colours to the original wire there is no need to remove the wire from fuse box to do this.

Sorry just read back on your posts your loom might be long enought to go straight to the ecu with careful routing the ecu plugs have spare self cutting terminals in. you would just remove the ends/crimp terminals on your wires then push your wires down into the ecu terminals and clip them back in.

Edited by bazaa

Hi Bowders,

Thanks for taking the time to help. If you could possibly post a picture of the second loom you have that would be useful, and perhaps a rough idea of the length.

Thanks again mate, its starting to make a bit more sense now ;)

Best Regards

Paul

The length of the wires are 48" exactly. There are 4 wires. I took pics but can't get them up and on line till later.

From memory...

The orginal kit 1J0012175A had all three looms in the kit.

This was replaced by BEA300002 (diesel) and BEA300003 (petrol). For a short period BEA300003 included all three looms.

The latest part numbers are 1J0998527A (diesel) and 1J0998527B (petrol).

Not at work today so you need to confirm the codes.

rwbaldwin

sorry forgot to thank you ,I did not know this. Thank You

Bazaa

I have 2002 OI 1.6 AVU engine. The wires from the cruise control switches are supposed to be connected to the pins 1,2,3,9 on the black connector in the box under the wiper motor. Then the 9th should also go to 5th fuse. Now my confusion started when I opened the box and there were some wires already connected to those pins. Am I supposed to add my wires there or replace those wires with mine? Does anybody know what those wires might be? My fuzzy understanding was the connectors come from switches and devices and the sockets lead to the ECU. could someone explain please.

Edited by krtk0

coming out of the back of the fuse box on fuse 5 there will be a black wire with blue trace. you just join or solder your wire the one without a crimped end it looks like it is the same colours to the original wire there is no need to remove the wire from fuse box to do this.

Sorry just read back on your posts your loom might be long enought to go straight to the ecu with careful routing the ecu plugs have spare self cutting terminals in. you would just remove the ends/crimp terminals on your wires then push your wires down into the ecu terminals and clip them back in.

The length of the wires are 48" exactly. There are 4 wires. I took pics but can't get them up and on line till later.

Thanks fellas,

Hmm, I think I might have a look tonight see if the loom is long enough. I'm concerned about starting the job only to realise its not going to work and having to put it all back again.