Anyone point me to an engine oil thread please?

oldstan

Can't see an answer by searching....what oil goes in the 1.2 Yeti? Dealer spares man said 5/40 others seem to settle on 5/30 and the book just seems to say VW504 and not specify either of the aforegoing to help choose. I can accept it has to be fully synthetic but would like to have a couple options as I have access to a wholesaler to buy from and would like to know what's acceptable (Castrol?)

TIA

Edited by oldstan

Can't see an answer by searching....what oil goes in the 1.2 Yeti? Dealer spares man said 5/40 others seem to settle on 5/30 and the book just seems to say VW504 and not specify either of the aforegoing to help choose. I can accept it has to be fully synthetic but would like to have a couple options as I have access to a wholesaler to buy from and would like to know what's acceptable (Castrol?)

TIA

I use Castrol Edge (fully synthetic) 5-30w which meets the Skoda spec (generally £17/litre(Halfords), but found in ASDA

at £10/litre £30/4 litre.

Edited by kibby

Mine has variable service. I had to add half a litre after 13000 km. I buyed Castrol Edge 5/30 (as it is stamped on the oil cap).

I guess that VW504 specification applies only to 5/30 fully synthetic oil.

Bye,

Ratz

TIA

I would buy the VW spec oil just in case. Anyway it depends how much oil is left.

Mine stopped using oil, what I seem to notice is that it is happier at top of the marker (not full), becaused when the dealer top it to full, it quickly burns it off, therefore if you are between the two markers then I'll probably leave it.

Hi oldstan,

if your using the longlife service regime then VW504 standard oil must be used.

VW504 is fully synthetic 5W-30. To confirm this the following is a screen shot of the ETKA parts system;

Oh yes Castrol Edge will meet this standard.

Hope that's of help,

TP

Hi oldstan,

if your using the longlife service regime then VW504 standard oil must be used.

VW504 is fully synthetic 5W-30. To confirm this the following is a screen shot of the ETKA parts system;

Oh yes Castrol Edge will meet this standard.

Hope that's of help,

TP

Ta for that,Tim. The dealer Service Administrator said, knowing that I do a low annual mileage, that with the 1.2 petrol you don't get a choice between flexible service or fixed service...it's fixed. The manual, page 246 has an awkwardly worded paragraph (with the yellow caution symbol) which seems to imply you can top up with a lesser spec oil but only with up to half a litre....and the opening para. does say you can mix oils with the QG1, fixed, regime.

The dealer parts man said use 5W/40W...and I'm pretty sure it was Castrol Edge he indicated and, I'm sure, had it on his shelf. I'll double check with him.

The Castrol site, as you will know well, shows Castrol Edge VW502 to be fulfilled by 5W 40W (ie. QG2) rather than 30W which is for extended / variable / flexible ...ie. VW504 (QG1)...so with my 1.2 would assume this is the one.

Hope I've understood that right.

For the sole purpose of topping up, I've bought an independantly branded 5/40 fully synth. which, maybe, was a bad move, and I should have stuck to the 5/40 Edge??? I should probably change it.

Ongoing thanks, as always.

And ditto to other contributors.

Edited by oldstan

I think you will find VW spec 504.00 [petrol] 507.00[diesel] are 5w-30 only,I have never seen any other grade that meets the same spec.

I think you will find VW spec 504.00 [petrol] 507.00[diesel] are 5w-30 only,I have never seen any other grade that meets the same spec.

Yes.... thanks, I started to realise that last night and you've confirmed that. And the 502.00 is fulfilled by a couple other specs..... eg. 0w/40 and 5w/40 according to VW spec sheets on the web. There are dozens of alternatives, Mobil 1, Castrol SLX Professional, Castrol GTX Magnatec, Shell Helix, plus others I've never heard of.