Leaking Injector Seal

The Injectors on my VRS have always been slightly damp looking and I was told that this is fairly normal on the 1.8t engine. However, when checking the oil today I noticed that Injector 2 had an increased amount of fuel around the seal. It looked fairly fresh. Pics below show how bad it is. Should I get the seals changed asap and is the car dangerous to drive?

IMG_3386.jpg

IMG_3384.jpg

IMG_3383.jpg

Mine looks the same unfortunately. Gonna get it fixed at some point.

I can't see fire being able to spread past the seal to it though, so it shouldn't be dangerous to drive.

Only leaks at boost I'm presuming.

I wouldn't have thought so.

Imagine when you are on boost - The manifold is gonna be pressurised, so fuel will be pushed out through the seals. Doubt there will be enough to make any differecne though.

That makes sense. Thanks for the help. Is it a big job to do? I imagine all 4 injectors would need to be done at the same time? Are the seals expensive?

Not got a clue to be honest. I've only just noticed that mine are doing it so haven't looked into it.

Might as well do all 4, because if 1 is gone, the others will be past their best anyway.

I'm guessing you need to unbolt the fuel rail, pull the injectors out (All 4 still attached to rail), put new seals on them and refit. Hopefully no fuel should leak.

Cheers dan.

Let us know how much they are.

I think you can get o rings which go on the injectors and plastic seats that screw into the manifold. Might as well get both. Can't see them being expensive.

I'm gonna take the mani off and replace the breather pipex underneath it too. The top one has been replaced, so the others can't be far behind..

Actually the white plastic things are the seats not the seals - they create the seal to the manifold and the injector has a rubber ring that seals against the seat.

So I might have mislead you a bit there, sorry!

Can you tell exactly where the leak is coming from?

Just spoken to a friend that works for our local VW dealers and apparently P/N: 06B 133 555H = the seats.

035 906 149A = the seals.

Seals are £3.31 plus vat each (less my discount)

Seats are £1.66 plus vat each (less my discount)

I got all the part numbers, prices and drawings for these last summer, but never got around to actually ordering them!

The job is a piece of piddle by the looks of things. Also mine are leaking worse than yours are, so it's on my list of things to do this summer (again)!

My only worry was little bits of crud falling down into the manifold when you remove the injectors. But I think as long as you give the surrounding area a good scrub up before it should be OK.

The alternative is to get a spare gasket, just incase you drop something into the manifold and have to remove it and clean it out.

• 4 weeks later...

Did you get yours fixed?

I changed them myslef, was easy enough to do, and no leaks anymore. I bought both the seats and the seals, but couldn't get the setas out so just changed the bottom o rings. Seems to have worked.

Did you get yours fixed?

I changed them myslef, was easy enough to do, and no leaks anymore. I bought both the seats and the seals, but couldn't get the setas out so just changed the bottom o rings. Seems to have worked.

same here. unbolted fuel rail, took out injectors, replaced only O rings put everything back and job done.

tip for everyone who are going to do this: don't forget to use some liquid on new O rings, will be easier to put injectors back into fuel rail.

I used engine oil.

Whatever you do, don't use silicone spray, as it can supposedly damage lambda sensors. Anyone remember the tesco fuel contamination?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to tick this off the list this weekend hopefully.

I'm not going to change the seats, just the upper and lower injector o-rings (8 in total).

Just hope it doesn't rain!

I'll be removing the rail complete with injectors and FPR, so I can clean it all up infront of the F1!