2.0 - CR vs. PD

Now I know this has been done to death in various places, but so far the only preference for PD is for the kick it gives, but other people say it runs out of puff when you need it.

I am changing my 1.9 for a 2.0 - makes sense to go CR, doesn't it? Better fuel economy, lower emissions, quieter (although not always a bonus!), smoother delivery.

CR is slightly more expensive, but for a reason, right? It's better!?

Having had a PD vRS Estate and now driving a CR vRS Estate, I'd say the CR is better, not just because it's smoother and quieter, but it is also (touching wood) more reliable too and more economical.

The power delivery of the PD is certainly stronger initially, but the CR makes up for it by holding onto a gear for a bit longer.

If you can stretch to a newer CR, you won't be disappointed.

I own a PD never driven a CR, mine is remapped and the drive is brillant i forget its diesel sometimes apart from the shorter rev range.

however i was walking through town the other day and seen a 2009 or 2010 audi a4 and it was a 2.0tdi s-line and the engine was very quite so if that was the cr it sounded alot sweeter then mine.

But I have also read there has been some common faults with the CR's and the PD's lasting longer. Obviously everything has a fault and the way you service and drive it makes a big difference to, I would advise you test drive the pair and do some more research before you make the final decision.

• Like 1

its a common misconception that the CR engine is more modern tech, it is in fact based on technology older than PD. VAG basically went backwards to CR from PD because the PD engine could not cheaply be made to comply with EU emissions regulations unlike the older CR engines. Before the VAG PD engine all diesels were in fact CR.

• Like 1

Having had a double digit number of problems with the dpf and the pd engine in the space of a year go if you can for the CR, its a lot quieter, has better fuel economy and is less likely not to trigger off dpf sensor faults and the subsequent regens. And the visits to the lovely dealers to try and get it sorted:)Keep the blood pressure down and go for the CR!

I jumped from a PD to CR vRS last week and do not regret it. I much prefer the quieter CR engine and the power delivery is a definite improvement. Reliability concerns were my main reason for moving away from the PD engine, they seem to be gaining a ever increasing bad reputation.

Having had a double digit number of problems with the dpf and the pd engine in the space of a year go if you can for the CR, its a lot quieter, has better fuel economy and is less likely not to trigger off dpf sensor faults and the subsequent regens. And the visits to the lovely dealers to try and get it sorted:)Keep the blood pressure down and go for the CR!

My 2010 2.0 tdi pd 140 hp does NOT have a dpf as standard, certainly one less thing to worry about, as you state the dpf on the pd is a pain and would not have purchased my octy if it was a pd/ dpf combination.

Edited by mellyboy

What's the situation with CR and DPF - do any CR engines have DPFs?

I believe all the CRs have DPFs, they're there to meet the EU emissions regulations, i think that you can expect that any diesel manufactured from now on will have one... ad the majority from at least a year ago will also have them...

I had a police class 1 driver & motorcyclist in my car yesterday for my IAM test (which I passed with highest mark...) and he didn't realise I was driving a diesel engined car...He is used to BMW 530d's for work, which he told me have the same output as the standard 535d. The CR140 in Elsie the Helipad is nice and smooth and the power delivery is linear up to the red line thanks to Ben at Shark Performanceemoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Thanks all :)

CR looks like the way to go... now I have to find one :)

Having just read this thread from start to finish im so relieved to see you've seen the light "you know it makes sense" CR it the way forward

Sounds like the right choice to me. I went from a PD Leon FR to a CR Octavia vRS mainly due to looking to avoid the dodgy fuel injector problem (and get a new toy obviously). I've not been disappointed with the results. It feels just as quick (dare I say quicker), better economy and much quieter.

Having just read this thread from start to finish im so relieved to see you've seen the light "you know it makes sense" CR it the way forward

Seeing the light would be to choose the TSI surely? :rofl: