New VAG 1.6 TSi Engine. New Fabia VRS?

Well there has been speculation around the demise of the twin charge 1.4TSi and the arrival of the new 1.6TSi with variable geometry turbo.

Well the details are out the new Audi S1 Quattro and the VW Polo "R" will use the new 1.6TSI and the variable geometry turbo will give loads off bottom end torque and a maximum power output of 220bhp :o

Suggestion is 180bhp and 200bhp varients will be available soon after.

So you can see why the 1.4TSi twin charge is being dropped and the 200bhp 2.0TSI. Most probably the 1.8TSi engine will be dropped too. 1.6 Turbo pertrols will be the "In" thing soon as the World Rally Championship and Formula 1 switch to 1.6 Turbo petrols.

The 2.0TSi will probably get the variable geometry turbo treatment to give 260-300bhp.

Not sure if the Polo "R" is going to be 4 motion or just front wheel drive.

So how long before we get a 220bhp Fabia? I don't think the engine will fit the current Fabia and certainly the four wheel drive can't be fitted. May have to wait until the all new Fabia arrives on the new A1/Polo chassis proposed late 2012 / early 2013.

Cheers

Lee

Edited by logiclee

Even though I do feel a bit thing about buying a car that's going to be out of date in two or so years it's inevitable. The game always moves on. I want to keep the vRS for 3- 5 years and hopefully by that time and the way it seems to be going I'll be getting something with 350bhp and 4WD just to do the commute in :giggle:

OT but is it me or aren't there slow cars anymore? Not that that's a bad thing I'm just thinking for 1st time drivers, everything seems to have around 100bhp and I can only imagine how bad it will be getting insurance in a few years time for a young driver. It's bad enough already.

I guess it depends exactly when the 1.4 goes. Once production is stopped, they will be fitting them until they run out, then I see two possibilities.

1. The new 1.6 fits in the current vRS and we have 180bhp like we do now.

2. The new 1.6 doesn't fit and the vRS will cease production until the new platform car arrives.

Another thing that occurs to me is... Could the 1.6 bring a choice of manual and DSG gearboxes? It will be going into a lot of cars, unlike the twincharger which has only ever been fitted with DSG.

Or maybe VW and Audi will separate themselves from the "budget" brand Skoda and keep the engine for themselves for a bit longer for exclusivity.

Pretty sure that Seat will have a bite off the cake aswell , but just as FWD ;).

It wouldn't surprise me if VW and Audi used it first, but at some point the 1.4's will run out. We don't know when the 1.4 production will be stopped, might not be until 2013, might be the end of this year, but they won't want to be producing both at the same time.

A 1.6 will not be significantly bigger than the 1.4, and there won't be the supercharger arrangement on it, so I would think it is very possible to fit it into the current vRS.

Pure speculation until we get more info though :(

I guess it depends exactly when the 1.4 goes. Once production is stopped, they will be fitting them until they run out, then I see two possibilities.

1. The new 1.6 fits in the current vRS and we have 180bhp like we do now.

2. The new 1.6 doesn't fit and the vRS will cease production until the new platform car arrives.

Another thing that occurs to me is... Could the 1.6 bring a choice of manual and DSG gearboxes? It will be going into a lot of cars, unlike the twincharger which has only ever been fitted with DSG.

As the 1.4 twincharge unit is fitted to over half the VW model line up including the new Jetta which is only just out as well as some Audi models I think they will produce it in sufficient numbers for a couple of years at least which should be long enough for the current Fabia.

The Audi S1 will be available with 6 speed manual and 6 speed DSG. But the current twincharge engine is available on VW models with manual 6 speed box too.

Cheers

Lee

Probably 2013 for the new Fabia chassis and model then maybe another year for the vRS, and by that time we'll all be talking about the next GTI

I thought the normal gestation period of a fabia vrs was 4 years?

Could be. The special one lasts 4 years and the main model last 6 years? For example the Mk4 Astra, Mk4 Golf and Mk1 Octavia were made from 1998 - 2004. Mk1 Fabia was 2000/2001 to 2007 and the Mk1 vRS was 2003-2007

Current VRS arrived 4 years into the current Fabia production run and after the facelift. The current Fabia is due to be replaced late 2012 early 2013 when the new model will be built on the new VAG small car platform. Audi, VW and Seat already use the new platform.

Last Fabia was 2001-2007 and current Fabia looks like 2007-2012/13 so about a six year run.

VRS is only a trim level and engine fitment into the current Fabia platform, they are not seperatly built cars, the current VRS will end with the end of Fabia 2 production.

Cheers

Lee

Edited by logiclee

dont know if its just me, but I dont mind if they change the engine to the 1.6,

makes us twinchargers a bit more exclusive :) and like StuVRS said, supercharger whine is so addicitive!

Most important question tho' is.......is the new 1.6lt going to be just a bigger version of the 1.2lt TSI??? ie. a 4 cylinder, 8v engine, with direct injection, and one turbocharger???? If so, then alot lighter than the 1.4TSI in current VRS and simpler, with less to go wrong!!! WIN, WIN, situation!!! :thumbup:B)

A lighter engine in the Fabia will just mean less ballast at the back of the car as well. Next gen vRS (PQ35 platform) should be lighter and better handling.

A lighter engine in the Fabia will just mean less ballast at the back of the car as well. Next gen vRS (PQ35 platform) should be lighter and better handling.

I like a bit of ballast in the back to keep the tyres on the ground!!! :giggle: But less nose weight is better!!! B)

The Fabia isn't light for a super mini. My wifes 1.9 tdi has the same kerb weight as my old 280bhp 4x4 Impreza Series McRae.

But I suppose most modern cars are lardy now.

Cheers

Lee

Most important question tho' is.......is the new 1.6lt going to be just a bigger version of the 1.2lt TSI??? ie. a 4 cylinder, 8v engine, with direct injection, and one turbocharger???? If so, then alot lighter than the 1.4TSI in current VRS and simpler, with less to go wrong!!! WIN, WIN, situation!!! :thumbup:B)

Perhaps more likely is that it is a completely new design, or it is based on the 1.4 with a new turbo. For the kind of power they want from it, I think it will probably be 16v.

If they base it on the 1.4 (perhaps bored out a bit or longer stroke) then the block will be the same and it will fit the current cars :)

I believe the 1.6 is all new to cope with the high power outputs and is based on the 300 bhp unit in the Polo World Rally Car.

Cheers

Lee

Edited by logiclee

I believe the 1.6 is all new to cope with the high power outputs and is based on the 300 bhp unit in the Polo World Rally Car.

Cheers

Lee

oooooooohhhhhhhh......so 16v and nice VG turbo then....what about direct injection????? B)

The 1.6 will be available later this year in the Audi S1 Quattro. It's already built and undergoing testing, was pictured in Auto Express last week.

I would think it has to be direct injection for economy and emmissions.

Cheers

Lee

• 2 months later...

If finances still good I look to change cars every 3 years as I feel thats the time in my mind to get decent a reasonable amount of the car 'back' as a deposit for the next one.

If the new vRS appears by Feb 2014 then as of now if all things equal ill probably order another. If its not around but coming i may wait that little bit longer or make a pre order but if it takes 2 years or so into the new Fabia model for them to bring out a vRS ill probalby move somewhere else as for me i dont want to keep a car 5 years (purely personal choice).

Lets hope the 1.6 engine does make it to the new vRS in 220 bhp form and that the new model vRS gets released with the rest of the range, at the start of its release !

However looking at the black hole thread (that I started) its probably best to put a deposit down a year in advance and then maybe ill get one in time !!!! :giggle: