256mm vented rear brakes

Hi,

I've got myself some Octy vRS mk1 rear brakes.

With regards to the spalash plates on my Fabia, I'm not sure which route to go down.

Should I have my existing splash plates trimmed to fit the bigger discs or purchase and fit the bigger splash plates from the Octavia to fit over the bigger discs? Do the these splash plates even fit the fabia?

My mechanic has said fitting the new brakes and cutting the spalsh plates will take one hour per side, but removing the hubs and fitting the new spalsh plates will be an extra hour per side. Obviously the latter option will be quite a bit more money.

Will my existing brake lines fit the new set-up?

Has anyone had any trouble with rust after fitting 256mm rears with trimmed splash plates?

Any thoughts/ advice on this?

Cheers

The octy splash plates need the holes elongating to fit. I just didn't fit them, left them off. Standard lines are fine, mine were on in under 2 hours on my driveway, with removing splash plates.

Matt

Do you fancy fitting mine then? :giggle:

Joe

How do you remove them?

When I did mine, I just cut them, I thought the guards integral part to the hub!

there not part of it but you do have to remove the hub to get to the bolts but thats not hard.

One of the brake kits wasn't working properly so I pulled it apart. Rather worringly on one of the pins between the caliper and the carrier is bent. Not good.

Thats the trouble with Ebay. You take youre chance...

Caveat emptor and all that! :thumbdown:

019-1.jpg

018-1.jpg

017.jpg

You can tell in the pictures that one of the pins is bent. I'm going to take the pin off (spanner job) and attempt to hit it untill straight. Failing that I'll have to see if I can source a new pin or more likley have to purchase a new caliper or carrier.

Any thoughts suggestions of what I should do?

• 2 weeks later...

Pin is cheap anyhow, buy a new one. I'll check I ain't got any spare.

I've been to TPS and they said that they don't do the slider on it's own . I would need to buy a new carrier for approx £80.

I've had a go at bending the slider, I'ts better but not perfect.

Did you have any spare in the end?

Cheers

You should be able to get pin on it's own from Skoda...also the piston dust skirt needs pushing back in looking at that photo! Also grease the pins with a high temp clear/yellow grease. I've just done a full strip and rebuild on my rear calipers.....new seals, skirts etc!! B)

mooooo? Confused :(

Anyway, I'm sending off them for refurb Here

They want £200 for a full refurb inc painting, £135 inc slider bolt without painting. Not cheap. :thumbdown:

You should just get a set of new piston seals & dust skirts (£16 for all four items from Skoda), a new slider pin or two from Skoda, and a full set of slider pin bolts (4) from Skoda......You could even buy a piston windback tool and proper two part caliper paint and still have change from £70!!! B)

You should just get a set of new piston seals & dust skirts (£16 for all four items from Skoda), a new slider pin or two from Skoda, and a full set of slider pin bolts (4) from Skoda......You could even buy a piston windback tool and proper two part caliper paint and still have change from £70!!! B)

I'm going to buy the refurb kit and have a crack at refurbing myself.

Cheers

I'm going to buy the refurb kit and have a crack at refurbing myself.

Cheers

If you need any help with procedure you know where we are!! And you will need a caliper piston wind-back tool (I've got one made by Laser Tools)....B)

Edited by fabdavrav