steering noise when turning wheel

well tonight while parking up at the supermarket and turning into a parking bay there was a strange rubbing noise coming from what sounded like the gearbox.

when in 1st and reverse i noticed this more.

however went to see grizzle to let him hear it (thanks mate for coming out in the rain on a sat night)

he looked at it and turned it not in gear and sounds like it is coming from the sterring.

grizzle will prob be able to describe better where exactly it was coming from but very strange noise coming from steering.

has anyone had this problem at all?

car is only just a month old, not been driven harshly. few blasts on motorway straight but thats it. so not like its been rally around corners.

anyone with any experiences of this would be great to hear.

cheers

To me the sound is exactly like a goosed CV joint but its happening on both side and with 1700 miles on the clock surely its not CV joints/boots gone, above 2-3mph clutch in or out the noise is there, without gettin it jacked up and having a look there was nothing obvious i could see.

No worries Andy, was only re-living my youth listening to Clyde 1 and watching football lol.

Picked up my vRs March 2010 and after a couple months experienced a "clicking" CV joint noise. The dealer confirmed there had been a number of of "duff" CV joints on new cars. They ordered CV joints for both sides, however I received a telephone call saying the new parts wouldn't fit on the drive shafts?. They ended up replacing the complete drive shaft assemblies on both sides under warranty.

Skoda have released a bulletin about a rubbing/squeak noise, its the cv boots rubbing against themselves. Its only audible when moving very slowly.

just to pick up on this, it appeared to stop but has came back and is getting worse i can hear something driving now coming from under the gearbox. might be related. really not impressed to be honest.

going a drive with mechanic at 3pm today to listen to it.

let you know how i get on.

Skoda have released a bulletin about a rubbing/squeak noise, its the cv boots rubbing against themselves. Its only audible when moving very slowly.

where can i find this bulletin and read?

cheers

• 4 weeks later...

well car was in last week being looked at. the noise on the steering when turning on near full lock is terrible when it has been raining.

dealer says that all vrs do this. i find this hard to believe. does everyone when the car is wet make a terrible rubbing type noice like something is going to snap?

also when driving with no music on i can hear a slight ticking from my engine coming through the gearbox it seems. again was told this noise was normally on the vrs.

not sure it will get better. noise started when i reach around 1k on it.

the car has not really been booted so a bit concerned.

anyone got any views on this? does your vrs do it when on near full lock? does anyone get a ticking noise when driving from the tsi enngine?

it is a my11 plate if that makes any difference.

cheers

if i was you i would go to another dealer....

if there is a dealer bulletin as said previously this should just be changed by the dealer if it affects your car

PS the bulletins are only given to the dealers, but as some of the very helpful ppl on hear work for dealers thats where the info comes from :thumbup:

thanks dallan.

i find it strange that when the car was in for the whole day they come back with that it is a characteristic of the car.

it sounds terrible and not like it should but i just wondered if other had the issue.

guessing not by the responses so must be an issue with my car specifically.

Mine does this too. There's a strange noise when on full lock, or close to it, at parking speeds. Only when turning to the right though!

It's intermittent and wasn't acting up when I took it in to my dealer, predictably! Definitely doesn't sound good.

Not hugely worried as steering seems unaffected. Will ask the dealer to have a look next time it's in.

Sounds like a very similar noise to what I've been experiencing with my 2008 Octavia (just bought it ourselves last month).

See my thread here - http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/204919-vibration-through-the-steering-wheel-65mph/

I'm planning to take it back to the garage where I bought it, but maybe it is normal.