Can you get retractable blind instead of parcel shelf

avoidingmyphd

Hello. I'm soon going to change my Fabia for a Yeti. Lurking in here has been ridiculously helpful (especially Johann's post on things to think about).

The cars I've seen at dealers have all had a solid parcel shelf. Is it possible to get a retractable blind instead (either factory fit or aftermarket)?

Good question.

I removed my parcel shelf 6 months ago when I got the monster.(we usually have a small dog box in the back which is too high for the shelf.)

I must say I don't miss the shelf,but a flexible load cover would be useful.:yes:

My Audi A2 had a retractable shelf and if you never put anything on the shelf ( I don't as I don't want to be clobbered over the head by something in an emergency stop) a retractable one is perfectly fine. You also get it in and out of the car far easier and store it easier next to your load if need be as it is just a long cigar. The fixed one is a total and utter B***CH to get out without the seats tipped forward. It is too big, gets caught on everything and in general I speak various tongues of NSFW language trying to get the blasted thing in and out. And then were to put it with your load?! Horrible thing. But alas, never seen a retractable one on the aftermarket scene. Å koda certainly do not offer one. Superskoda.com: are you listening?!?! :giggle:

I assume they use that one because it is cheap and cheerful. I think there are occasions where we have to accept that the Yeti is great value compared to other equivalent cars on the market and part of the way this is done is by keeping costs down on items such as this. For my thinking this is also the reason why the seats fold in such an amateurish fashion, kept up by a bungee hook?!?!?!?! Poor design but also cheap design. As Johnny keeps saying on A Place in the Sun, Home or Away, "on your budget you are going to have to make compromises".

Does the octavia estate have a retractable shelf and would it fit in a yeti?

yes the Octavia does and no as it needs the slots to locate in. I guess you might be able to do something in the Yeti to accept it though.

I think a parcel shelf is nice, you can put things on it.

I don't think any hatchback (which the Yeti is) has a blind, the Octvia estate is way too long to have a shelf fitted.

Oh, the range rover has a shelf, whilst X5 has blind!

I don't think any hatchback (which the Yeti is) has a blind, the Octvia estate is way too long to have a shelf fitted.

Oh, the range rover has a shelf, whilst X5 has blind!

Yes, I think space is the real issue - most retractable blinds have a solid shelf-like piece immediately behind the rear seats, out of which the retractable setion pulls (as in the Octavia estate) - there simply wouldn't be room for an arrangement like this in the Yeti.

I'm sure something could be made using a bungee, fabric and some sticky back plastic.

Blue Peter here I come.

Shame I've not got a Yeti Yet :o(

I also find the solid shelf useful for coats and other light stuff. If I have a lot of luggage, I store the shelf behind the rear seats and load to the roof.

I had a retractable screen on my XT, the housing was heavy and could not be stored in the car if I wanted the extra room.