Drivers side rear door lock

2002, Octavia 110bhp laurin & Klement Estate ...Any one any ideas how to actually open the drivers side rear door as the door won`t actually unlock from fob or using key in driver door?

I had it put on vag-com yesterday for turbo overboost fault and there was an error for the door lock but since then it won`t open at all...Is there any way to get to the mechanism as obviously cant get the whole door card off as the fixings are out of sight when door shut.. And is it likely to be a simple fix or a new actuator or whatever operates the lock mechanism?

Cheers

Andy

2002, Octavia 110bhp laurin & Klement Estate ...Any one any ideas how to actually open the drivers side rear door as the door won`t actually unlock from fob or using key in driver door?

I had it put on vag-com yesterday for turbo overboost fault and there was an error for the door lock but since then it won`t open at all...Is there any way to get to the mechanism as obviously cant get the whole door card off as the fixings are out of sight when door shut.. And is it likely to be a simple fix or a new actuator or whatever operates the lock mechanism?

Cheers

Andy

Try operating the locks while giving the outside of the door a thump with your fist where the lock is located. That might get the door open.

If not, you can pull the door trim off, start at a corner at the bottom, run along the bottom and up the sides. The torx screws in it screw into plastic plugs which are clipped into the door, so at worst you might break those but they are one a few pennies each from your local dealer.

If you have a wiring fault (broken loom) where it enters into the door, you might find that if you can get the trim off you can inject +12vdc into the lock and get it to open - experiment on the other door, or have a search for additional details on here.

Edited by mbames

Mine did this, way to unlock is was to keep trying the outside door handle whilst repeatedly pressing the unlock button on the fob. It will open eventually.

Mine did this, way to unlock is was to keep trying the outside door handle whilst repeatedly pressing the unlock button on the fob. It will open eventually.

Its obviously an intermittent thing as I went out earlier and all doors opened, so I`ll have the door card off and have a look later. Is it likely to be a dodgy spring or just damp or similar on the loom?

It's more than likely damp or a break in the loom. Every time I scan mine with vagcom I get errors for the drivers rear door, so I presume there is a wiring issue there. Not gonna bother fixing it, as no one uses that door anyway.

It might be the loom for the door rubbing on the B-pillar as it passes through into the door, and shorting out intermittantly.

That's exactly what happened on my drivers door, and it knocked out the central locking every time the door got opened!

Probably better off investigating it now, before it stops working all together.

If it's just a wire that rubbed through its insulation you may be able to rescue it before it breaks through.

The door looms are really badly protected on this car, so one to watch out for.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a previous owner has had a go at this as the door trim is smothered in araldite on the rear side!! Checked all the wiring /plugs etc and can find nothing glaringly obvious.Am unable to remove the door lock as again previous owner has chewed up one of the star bolts and I can`t get it to move at all. Could it be a dicky solenoid as it is fairly intermittent?

• 2 weeks later...

My rear drivers door is also not opening. Has had the problem for about 6 months. At first I was not bothered as I don't use that door much but today took the car for MOT and the garage say it will prob fail if the door won't open.

I need to fix this asap but cannot afford to take it to a dealer.

The problem started as intermittent but got worse and now will not open at all. If I pull the inside handle it will not quite open and when I use the key fob it sounds like it is trying to open.

Has anyone actually fixed this problem as I know quite a few of you have had similar problems.

• 2 months later...

My rear drivers door is also not opening. Has had the problem for about 6 months. At first I was not bothered as I don't use that door much but today took the car for MOT and the garage say it will prob fail if the door won't open.

I need to fix this asap but cannot afford to take it to a dealer.

The problem started as intermittent but got worse and now will not open at all. If I pull the inside handle it will not quite open and when I use the key fob it sounds like it is trying to open.

Has anyone actually fixed this problem as I know quite a few of you have had similar problems.

I'm having the same problem on my front passengers door. Did you find a solution?

• 2 months later...

So has any-one found a smart trick?

If I can get the door trim off, is there a technique to making the door unlock?

I like the concept of tapping the door while trying the unlock, that got some strange looks from the neighbours, I may do it in the garage next time and try a bit harder, as no joy :-)

same issue here. I've managed to get access to the lock through removing the fabric panel in the door card, but still cannot get the lock to operate. Levers are being moved by the exterior and interior handles but lock not operating. I've disconnected the electrics to the lock, but that didn't make any difference...so any thoughts members ????

This appears to be quite the common issue :(

My door is also locked and wont open, you can hear stuff moving inside but it just doesnt lock, almost like its jammed inside. I shall keep an eye on this to see if anyone is able to fix it :)

Finally got some time to get to this. Got door skin off, basically had to pull off the pillar plastic to give a bit of room to undo the screws by the pillar. Then undid the 2 at the bottom, but no access to the ones on the swinging side, so pulled... only broke one, so door skin will go back on.

I have had to cut the membrane with a knife in the hope that some good strength tape will hold it back in place, and I can see the lock :-)

Now what? It is a sealed unit, all the pulls pull but nowt happens. Disconnected electrics but a bit stumped. Any hints? Do I start to dismantle with ample use of a hand held mirror to see if anything broke.

Too dark to carry on now, so will update next spot of daylight I get free.

Edited by Serverlator