TSI fuel consumption

I've just completed 1400 miles in my 1.8TSI DSG and am unhappy with the fuel consumption that I'm getting. Accepting the fact that the engine is tight a run from South Wales to Preston, driven carefully and using cruise control set at 70 on the motorway, which represented a good 95% of the trip, I averaged 38.6 according to the trip computer, but only 32 when I worked out the consumption fill to fill. Way short of the 47.9 that I hoped to get close to (extra urban) and not even the 38.7 (combined). The 2.0 FSI manual Octavia VRS that it replaced did over 40 on a run, and sometimes at speeds in excess of 70. (Abroad...Germany and the like, honest officer)

Tyre pressures were correct, no heavy load, so why? Am I expecting too much too soon?

AND the trip computer gives you an oil temperature reading, usually 100/105c. But nowhere in the handbook does it say what it should be, or the point where its too hot. Any Ideas?

AND a warning light comes on when the DSG clutches overheat, but what causes that to happen, and what can you do to stop it happening in the first place. It hasn't come on yet but it's better to be prepared.

Scott

That does sound a little light.

We had an expedition in a 1.8 TSI DSG Superb last weekend. The equation was, 3 grown-up blokes, luggage to drive 250km, then commute for 3 days, then drive 250km back. The trip up was dry, return was wet and about 25 percent of the travel was on freeways, the rest suburbia and twisties.

We got 42mpg. Amazing, since when the young guys were driving, they gave it some. I was the Skoda man (Roomy pilot) who insisted that we insisted and got a Superb. They were stunned.

I actually spotted one of the guys checking prices of used Octavias with the same package. They were pretty damn impressed.

Yep, I reckon that your car should do a whole lot better than that but this one was well run in...

32 does seem very light and worrying, especially if your driving style was careful.

My average over the last 6 months, which includes the winter months warming up the car while defrosting, and some very good weather and therefore good driving over the last couple of months has produced a real world average of 30.5 (showing 31.5 on the MFD) in my 2.0 TSI DSG Gti.

The only reason I didn't go for the 2.0 TSI this time was to see some increased economy.

When my S2 1.8TSI DSG was new I also could not get above 38. Now with 40.000 miles it is possible in extreme to go to 48 and with normal drive to about 43mpg. I never had so high fuel consumption like 32, only in city on short distance.

I've just completed 1400 miles in my 1.8TSI DSG and am unhappy with the fuel consumption that I'm getting. Accepting the fact that the engine is tight a run from South Wales to Preston, driven carefully and using cruise control set at 70 on the motorway, which represented a good 95% of the trip, I averaged 38.6 according to the trip computer, but only 32 when I worked out the consumption fill to fill. Way short of the 47.9 that I hoped to get close to (extra urban) and not even the 38.7 (combined). The 2.0 FSI manual Octavia VRS that it replaced did over 40 on a run, and sometimes at speeds in excess of 70. (Abroad...Germany and the like, honest officer)

Tyre pressures were correct, no heavy load, so why? Am I expecting too much too soon?

AND the trip computer gives you an oil temperature reading, usually 100/105c. But nowhere in the handbook does it say what it should be, or the point where its too hot. Any Ideas?

AND a warning light comes on when the DSG clutches overheat, but what causes that to happen, and what can you do to stop it happening in the first place. It hasn't come on yet but it's better to be prepared.

Scott

I am getting about the same as you are with the same car. I have only done 900 miles, so hope that it is just the fact that the engine is brand new and that the mpg will improve greatly over the next 10,000 miles. I do drive carefully, normally drive at 70 on the main roads so did think I would be getting well over 40 on the long runs, high 30's at the moment.

I can get just over 400 miles out of a tank at the moment, I would like 500!

I will keep you posted.

I am getting about the same as you are with the same car. I have only done 900 miles, so hope that it is just the fact that the engine is brand new and that the mpg will improve greatly over the next 10,000 miles. I do drive carefully, normally drive at 70 on the main roads so did think I would be getting well over 40 on the long runs, high 30's at the moment.

I can get just over 400 miles out of a tank at the moment, I would like 500!

I will keep you posted.

Thanks all, I feel a bit happier now that I seem to be worrying a bit too soon.

In the good old days the thing would be fully run in by now and had it's first oil change, but technology has taken a step forward and better quality oil probably means less wear = longer time to run in.

Thanks all, I feel a bit happier now that I seem to be worrying a bit too soon.

In the good old days the thing would be fully run in by now and had it's first oil change, but technology has taken a step forward and better quality oil probably means less wear = longer time to run in.

I have an Octavia with the same engine and gearbox. MPG is definitely improving as the miles mount. In the first 3 months or so (3000 miles) it was rare to see 40mpg on the maxidot journey average and the average (by fuel usage) was around 34mpg.

Over the next 4 months and 4500 miles it has become increasingly common to see 40+mpg on the journey average and the mpg has risen to an average of just over 36mpg for that 4500 miles.

Our Octavia is definately getting better as miles go on the engine. As eccleshill has already mentioned our

manual 1.8TSi used to do about 35mpg, I had the car changed onto fixed servicing as personally I prefer

the engine to have more regular oil changes. Used a top quality 504.00 spec oil and as the miles are now beyond

7,000, on long runs shows 49mpg on maxi-dot and confirmed correct by calculating fuel usage based on last fill

and topping the tank back up. I have seen beyond 54mpg but that was keeping to speed limits and using cruse control.

James at Allams said the fuel useage would get better as the miles go on, was worried to start off with and thought perhaps

we should have gone diesel, not now though, love the top end rush.

My manual 1.8TSi has averaged 29mpg (on the Maxidot) over the past 32000 miles, which is actually 27.5 mpg when calculated accurately.

This means 300-330 miles for each tank.

I do on average 1200 miles a week of mixed driving, but obviously a lot of that is on bypasses and motorways cruising between 75-90.

On a long run I can get 32, but this soon drops off.

Although I am lucky enough not to pay for fuel, on reflection we should have spent the extra £1500 (at the time) and gone diesel.

Having said that, I can't fault the engine which is a peach otherwise.

Justin.

Have just got to 1300 miles in our 1.8 Estate - much of it shortish journeys, but have just done round trips to London and Chester, so it's been interesting to watch consumption...

The maxidot is showing an average consumption for the life of the vehicle of 36.1mpg (works out to 35.5 when calculated accurately), but both runs have returned an average of 42mpg, so it looks like it's getting better.

Traded up from a Octavia 1.6FSI Estate, and the mpg just got better and better in this - had it from new and kept it for 3 years, the last couple of runs I did in it I could get 50mpg out of it (with sensible driving)

Am sure that the Superb will improve with age and will average out somewhere near 40mpg for 3 years.