That damn misting....

Hi all,

I got that misting on the rear and rear side windows again tonight as soon as the temp got to 4 degrees C or below. I'm hearing a slight whistling from the front passenger window at m/way speeds. Is this a likely cause (bad seal) or is this a sign of water ingress? The car has no signs of the dreaded water (all CCM functions normal apart from passenger side puddle light out of action)...... It's driving me nuts and I need any advice on what to look for.........

Cheers,

Rob

Agreed, sounds like water ingress that has spread to the rear of your vehicle.

Even if the CCM is ok it's worth doing the following to prevent future grief:

1) Clear the scuttle of leaves and debris.

2) Remove the rubber grommets underneath the battery tray.

3) Chuck out the foam seal around the pollen filter and reseal it with decent bathroom/kitchen sealant. This will prevent any future water leaks.

4) Remove the passenger side seat and trim and get the carpet lifted up. There will be water underneath and the underlay will be damp.

5) Using hairdryer (or whatever you can get your hands on), dry out the carpet.

6) Look at the wire nodes coming from the CCM (under passenger seat), if they're green, replace them to avoid future heartache.

If you can spare 3-4 hours to do steps 1-5 you will be saving yourself grief, £££ and hours of time later on. Step 6 might be avoidable if the water leak isn't too bad but if you can prevent it or do it yourself you'll save a few hundred £££.

Thanks lads,

I guess this must be it, but the plenum bungs are clear and the filter is sealed. I'll lift the carpets and have a look.

Cheers,

Rob

Before I bought my Superb I got under the passenger seat and pushed a long twisted piece of paper under the heater vent and kind of rammed it all around under the floor covering. It came back dry every time so I assumed it was all OK under there.

So far, so good, but might be worth trying this to see. It'll save taking all the carpets up, which is a bit of a job :S

Edited by Jigger72

Hi all,

I got that misting on the rear and rear side windows again tonight as soon as the temp got to 4 degrees C or below. I'm hearing a slight whistling from the front passenger window at m/way speeds. Is this a likely cause (bad seal) or is this a sign of water ingress? The car has no signs of the dreaded water (all CCM functions normal apart from passenger side puddle light out of action)...... It's driving me nuts and I need any advice on what to look for.........

Cheers,

Rob

I had this problem with my Superb when I first bought it, it was a problem with the air-recirc flap servo motor. The Climate control never allowed any fresh air into the car.

Skoda solved it but it was a big job (dash out etc...)

I had this problem with my Superb when I first bought it, it was a problem with the air-recirc flap servo motor. The Climate control never allowed any fresh air into the car.

Skoda solved it but it was a big job (dash out etc...)

Thanks Big John,

Flap working fine.......!! Still trying to find the problem.

Cheers,

Rob

Thanks Big John,

Flap working fine.......!! Still trying to find the problem.

Cheers,

Rob

If everything dry, pollen filter blocked?

Big J...

Edited by bigjohn

Hi all,

Cheers,

Rob

hi there Rob

been here and done it,

mine and many other threads with pics are all on here ( and i sent a good one of the door issue also)

scuttle panel , start there check for leaf debris and water in the plenum chamber remove the rubber bungs and clean out, if the car has had a repair to the pollen filter housing dont take it for granted that it was done with a level of competence, i know some people have not removed the scuttle and tried to do this,BODGING IT, thus not making a good seal if using mastic or pushing the new foam seal out of alignment, then not being able to fit the pollen drip cover back in place and leaving it out,then water will still get in, mine was absolutely under water but showed no signs of water on the carpets front or rear,

with the n/s stripped out and carpet propped up it took a week to dry out, and thats without bailing out water from the front and rear metal foot well with a sponge and bucket

if there is water trapped in the car and as its steaming up a bit my guess is its wet somewhere, take up the carpet and investigate

if the car has a sunroof check the drains

door seals check for good fit and not perished

NOW the other not so mentioned bit is the doors

all vag seat skoda and numerous other manufacturers use a system of bolting all door ancillaries to a bolted metal frame/plate that once removed from the car leaves a cavernous hole , on the back of that big plate that you unbolt is THE SAME WORTHLESS USELESS FECKLESS PIECE OF RUBBISH SEAL THATS IDENTICAL TO THE POLLEN SEAL , only smaller! (shouting bit over)

that seal meets at the bottom and guess what happens , it fails then water runs inside the door panel out the bottom between the door card and the door lower metal frame pressing,it then comes out and sits on top of the bottom rubber door seal above the sill, then it tracks its way down and under the carpet, the car thinks its a boat or a u boat because it invites the water in from everywhere!

as i said mine showed no signs other than looking like a green house with water dripping down from everywhere, BUT it did have the water sitting on top of the rubber door seals,

now ive tried to get the link for this but have forgotten my password for the seatcupra forum, its well documented there too.

i addressed all four doors and to date with all the mods done it seams to be water tight

remove the door card and then close the door slightly and look down the length of the door, you will see a perfect path for water to come in, and many cars have this issue

let us know the results

regards

paul

hi there Rob

been here and done it,

mine and many other threads with pics are all on here ( and i sent a good one of the door issue also)

scuttle panel , start there check for leaf debris and water in the plenum chamber remove the rubber bungs and clean out, if the car has had a repair to the pollen filter housing dont take it for granted that it was done with a level of competence, i know some people have not removed the scuttle and tried to do this,BODGING IT, thus not making a good seal if using mastic or pushing the new foam seal out of alignment, then not being able to fit the pollen drip cover back in place and leaving it out,then water will still get in, mine was absolutely under water but showed no signs of water on the carpets front or rear,

with the n/s stripped out and carpet propped up it took a week to dry out, and thats without bailing out water from the front and rear metal foot well with a sponge and bucket

if there is water trapped in the car and as its steaming up a bit my guess is its wet somewhere, take up the carpet and investigate

if the car has a sunroof check the drains

door seals check for good fit and not perished

NOW the other not so mentioned bit is the doors

all vag seat skoda and numerous other manufacturers use a system of bolting all door ancillaries to a bolted metal frame/plate that once removed from the car leaves a cavernous hole , on the back of that big plate that you unbolt is THE SAME WORTHLESS USELESS FECKLESS PIECE OF RUBBISH SEAL THATS IDENTICAL TO THE POLLEN SEAL , only smaller! (shouting bit over)

that seal meets at the bottom and guess what happens , it fails then water runs inside the door panel out the bottom between the door card and the door lower metal frame pressing,it then comes out and sits on top of the bottom rubber door seal above the sill, then it tracks its way down and under the carpet, the car thinks its a boat or a u boat because it invites the water in from everywhere!

as i said mine showed no signs other than looking like a green house with water dripping down from everywhere, BUT it did have the water sitting on top of the rubber door seals,and the pollen seal was blown.

now ive tried to get the link for this but have forgotten my password for the seatcupra forum, its well documented there too.

i addressed all four doors and to date with all the mods done it seams to be water tight

remove the door card and then close the door slightly and look down the length of the door, you will see a perfect path for water to come in, and many cars have this issue

let us know the results

regards

paul

Thanks a mill for that,

Seems like an awful lot to do...! Why didn't they make these things properly in the first place..! It really is a good car, but these sort of issues are a real pain in the you know what. I'm so busy with work (thankfully) that I neither have the time or energy to start stripping and ripping but I'll probably have to take the bull by the horns before the winter season....

No sign of the bulb carriers yet. I'll be checking with the dealer after the weekend and I'll be in touch..

All the best for now,

Rob

Hi all,

Cheers,

Rob

no worries, just trying to give the best of me experience so others dont suffer or have too many problems!

doing either of these jobs may seem a bit daunting but they can be done with a minimum of tools and you dont need to be a master technician either

the best bit is seeing how badly they were nailed together and rectifying all the issues, it does give a great feeling of accomplishment

i suppose they were built down to a price with the inbuilt obsolescence and self destruction

best bet, think of the picture of borat in a leotard and them give him a hammer and some nails and maybe some spit and tissue paper, thats what i think of when i wonder who built my car ! lol

paul

Nice one,

Speaking of Borat, I picked up a copy in the local Aldi (€3.99..!!) and myself and herself watched it the other night (third or fourth time to see it)... Brilliant... So many "cringe" moments..!!

Maybe someone should start a Borat forum....!

Rob

• 4 weeks later...

I've got the same prob with my drivers door, the water trickles in, Ive used a towel wedged down and changed once a week. It works as a temp measure. BUt the elec window has now gone and just makes a horrid noise so i'm going to get the door card off ( now i have a decent excuse lol)