Realword mpg figures petrol and diesel vrs

I can agree with that - I get 60+ more miles to a tank on Shell hence me using it for years....The Bora is coming up to 90k and the EGR is pretty clean. My mates 130PD (same engine but in a Polo) had to have a new EGR valve at 85k as it was beyond redemption....Needless to say it has been run from new on Tesco and Sainsbury's finest (nearest for him so makes sense)

Yeah, I've been using shell for years myself and never had any problems with them, so I just stick to what seems to work for me. Should have said before, my sister now also uses Shell after the corsa :thumbup:

You are the one banging on about MPG all the time everytime a thread comes up about diesels. Put your money where your mouth is and prove the claims. If you have a fuel card then every reciept should have the mileage on it, along with litres, price per litre and total £.

I put my works van in the other day and 11 fill ups (a years worth nearly) took me about 5 min to input. Trouble is they aren't accurate as it is clear that the other chap who drives the van when i'm not in (and i'm a bugger for not filling the thing up) that he doesn't fill it as full as i do....but as you are the only one who fuels yours up, like my car, it will be accurate.

Can't really see how tyres of the same size but a different make would make a great difference to MPG...again pre-excuses....

77823.png

42235.png

I might ask the accounts lady to do this out of interest. I think there is some sort of " adjustment" going on as the business pays for the fuel and therefore the VAT, or part of it, should be reclaimable, I think there might be some agreed formula with HMRC ie half VAT is passed on but yes it should show how many litres of petrol, not sure how engine oil is shown. Mind you they do often type in the mileage amount wrong.

Michelin claim their rolling resistence is the lowest of all majot tyre manufacturers.

I have always been a big Shell fuels fan but there are none in Worcestershire, Birmingham has plenty but it would mean a 40 mile round trip. Hopwood services is the one I go past often but expensive of course, even when I only pay 40% of the price. Shell is gonig to acquire a couple of hundred petrol stations so here is hoping.

Weather looking iffy for the weekend. Unlikely to be the 25-30C air, 40C track temperature to set the best times but hopefully it will be kind to you, it would gaul me to book a run and find it damp or wet. Good luck.

Edited by lol

I do not pay for my own fuel (lucky that since it is a petrol). All I see of the expenditure is the year's amounts on my P11D. About £3.5K for 6 months and I think I did about 23,000 miles. Which works out about 40 mpg (half in TSI VRS, half in 1.8 TSI DSG Pipe & Slippers aka L&K) I think but I did put quite a few litres of oil on their too as I like to have a supply of them as I have known the VW 504 VW507 get a bit short sometime. Can offset the £3.5K with about £6K of business miles relief should should be up for the last year.

This year will be a bit more challenging with some 40K miles and more like £6.6K of fuel and oil and this kind Government raised the first 10K mileage rate to 45ppm but still kept the over 10K miles at 25 ppm for some inexplicable reason so will only be able to claim about 30k business miles and therefore £9.5K so should still be quids in and reduce my 40% ta rate exposure via raised tax code.

Suppose I could do the receipts but then that would be a bit wieselly. Not really worth my time and effort.

Might finally go and get my Mich PS3s tomorrow which help me get even better fuel consumption!

Lol I think you know exactly how much fuel you use and how many miles you do. Its simply beyond belief that anyone as obsessive about economy driving as you wouldn't.

Edited by juan27

This year will be a bit more challenging with some 40K miles and more like £6.6K of fuel and oil and this kind Government raised the first 10K mileage rate to 45ppm but still kept the over 10K miles at 25 ppm for some inexplicable reason so will only be able to claim about 30k business miles and therefore £9.5K so should still be quids in and reduce my 40% ta rate exposure via raised tax code.

As mentioned previously, don't forget you can't claim mileage and have a company car ;)

Lol I think you know exactly how much fuel you use and how many miles you do. Its simply beyond belief that anyone as anal about economy driving as you wouldn't.

I deny being "anal" about fuel economy but admitted being "obsessed" about range of the car. I often do 300-400 miles in a day and hate the idea of filling up twice as my neighbour would have to do with his M3.

I also fret to giving up half a day to get the car serviced so I like the 20K intervals between servicing but am so impressed with the 24k between services I get on my 1.9 PD and use to get on my Audi A4 and A3.

So not so concerned fuel economy but time (spent filling up). With the company perk both my business and private miles cost me nothing but servicing, tyres etc do hurt as does getting taxed £200 on my £500 per month car allowance. Time is money when my charge out rate is anything up to £880 a day (use to be twice that with the Big 4 company and having to account for every 6 minutes).

Edited by lol

As mentioned previously, don't forget you can't claim mileage and have a company car ;)

Ahhhh but I do not have a company car just a fuel card so I can have my cake and eat or so my ex-Revenue brother tells me and he should know.

In a prvious topic (whic had lots of posts deleted) you stated you had a company car not a car allowance... Forgive us all for being completely confused by your ramblings

In a prvious topic (whic had lots of posts deleted) you stated you had a company car not a car allowance... Forgive us all for being completely confused by your ramblings

Apologies if I was not clear. I did actually have a company car up until August last year but now the arrangement is that I am given £6K a year through salary to buy my own car and then a company fuel card but I do not have to pay for any private miles but, as per HMRC rules, the value of the fuel, minus some portion of the VAT component I think, is put on my P11D but I can claim tax relief of 45ppm/25ppm for the first 10K/post 10K parts respectively.

Seems a much better way of doing it than company cars which you get wacked loads for (negative tax code almost)but I was worried I might be taxed that way but my car is only 155 gms/km CO2 and does not get the 3% diesel loading so would be less than the diesel VRS even as an L&K.

Just need to put even more in to my pension so I drop out of the 40% tax bracket for the salary plus car allowance but as they have lowered the 40% tax threshold so low that is a huge percentage, lucky that mortgage is so cheap at the moment.

Edited by lol

It would only be almost a negative tax code if the car is outrageously dirty on the emiisions. My Saab company car reduced the tax free allowance by about £140 a month which at the end of the day is not a bad amount of money to lose for running a car especially as you have the security of knowing that if something goes wrong it's not going to cost you a penny...

My disposable income after opting out and taking the car allowance is pretty similiar to what is was when I had the company car but I get the choice of what car I drive...

I deny being "anal" about fuel economy but admitted being "obsessed" about range of the car. I often do 300-400 miles in a day and hate the idea of filling up twice as my neighbour would have to do with his M3.

I also fret to giving up half a day to get the car serviced so I like the 20K intervals between servicing but am so impressed with the 24k between services I get on my 1.9 PD and use to get on my Audi A4 and A3.

So not so concerned fuel economy but time (spent filling up). With the company perk both my business and private miles cost me nothing but servicing, tyres etc do hurt as does getting taxed £200 on my £500 per month car allowance. Time is money when my charge out rate is anything up to £880 a day (use to be twice that with the Big 4 company and having to account for every 6 minutes).

Lol I am happy to substitute "obsessed" if anal offends. The point is the same.

Could you fit some kind of auxiliary fuel tank to extend the range? Maybe one that fitted in the spare wheel well?

Why do these threads now *always* descend into the same sorts of discussion? Even with my account ignoring certain content, it still gets quoted and discussed. And in turn this moves the thread away from where it otherwise would be.

It's incredibly irritating and tiresome.

Dare I say it that you could increase your range by 25% just by getting an Octavia 2.0TDI DSG according to the official combined MPG figures? and even more with a manual diesel.

I appreciate it might not be as fast or nice as your TSI, but it would address your apparent day to day needs.

Edited by juan27

More range? Get a decent metal 20 litre jerry can and secure in the boot!

Have actually got one which I use during fuel strikes so I better go and dig it out soon.

As a car, if I was going to have to be a diesel I would do go for and SEAT Exeo as it has potential 800 to 1000 mile range dependant how driven with its 70 litre tank and there were doing the no VAT a few weeks back. Use to have the previous A4 with the 130 hp PD engine and it was a mile muncher of incredible proportions. But not sure if SEAT still have the 10K servicing internvals (even on the bigger cars) which is just too much of a pain.

Michelin PS3 here on Friday which should help the fuel consumption a bit on the TSI, work very well on our TSI VRS. Estate has Contis which siut it but did seem to be wearing quite fast.

Dare I say it that you could increase your range by 25% just by getting an Octavia 2.0TDI DSG according to the official combined MPG figures? and even more with a manual diesel.

I appreciate it might not be as fast or nice as your TSI, but it would address your apparent day to day needs.

As i said I mainly use the 1.8 TSI DSG whose fuel consumption is only 10% worse than the VRS Diesel DSG but as a plus the acceleration is 8% better than the diesel VRSs, manual or DSG. I know the Manual VRS diesel is 15% better than the 1.8 TSI but I really need the DSG as I just do so much driving often in urban areas like West London and Canary Wharf. The 1. TSI DSG (7 speed box of course) seems a unique combination where the DSG box improves fuel consumption and economy by several percent unlike most other scenarios, particularly the 6 speed and the diesel combination where it increases fuel consumption by a few percent. It is a product of the weight as well as not having an advantage in more gears. The 7 speed DSG only add 20 kgs where the 6 speed adds 40 kgs plus less gears to optimise acceleration and economy. Add these facts to the much lower buy price with the no VAT deal on at the time and lower delivery wait and there is the logic. It is what to buy for next September is the problem as there is little new on the horizon in the Skoda range I have heard about.

Our TSI VRS we will keep longer I imagine but look forward to petrol dropping back to £1 a litre as we enter stage 2 of the recession, every cloud has.....

Edited by lol

As i said I mainly use the 1.8 TSI DSG whose fuel consumption is only 10% worse than the VRS Diesel DSG but as a plus the acceleration is 8% better than the diesel VRSs, manual eor DSG. I know the Manual VRS diesel is 15% better than the 1.8 TSI but I really need the DSG as I just do so much driving often in urban areas like West London and Canary Wharf. The 1. TSI DSG (7 speed box of course) seems a unique combination where the DSG box improves fuel consumption and economy by several percent unlike most other scenarios, particularly the 6 speed and the diesel combination where it increases fuel consumption by a few percent. It is a product of the weight as well as not having an advantage in more gears. The 7 speed DSG only add 20 kgs where the 6 speed adds 40 kgs plus less gears to optimise acceleration and economy. Add these facts to the much lower buy price with the no VAT deal on at the time and lower delivery wait and there is the logic. It is what to buy for next September is the problem as there is little new on the horizon in the Skoda range I have heard about.

Our TSI VRS we will keep longer I imagine but look forward to petrol dropping back to £1 a litre as we enter stage 2 of the recession, every cloud has.....

someone isn't very good at maths for a know it all. 40mpg vs 55mpg isn't 10%. Your fantasy world of mpg, you should expect about 70mpg at least out of a diesel. That's a 35% difference at the very least.

I don't think you've told us this before though.

It's wearing very thin, just like your tyres.

I might ask the accounts lady to do this out of interest. I think there is some sort of " adjustment" going on as the business pays for the fuel and therefore the VAT, or part of it, should be reclaimable, I think there might be some agreed formula with HMRC ie half VAT is passed on but yes it should show how many litres of petrol, not sure how engine oil is shown. Mind you they do often type in the mileage amount wrong.

Michelin claim their rolling resistence is the lowest of all majot tyre manufacturers.

I have always been a big Shell fuels fan but there are none in Worcestershire, Birmingham has plenty but it would mean a 40 mile round trip. Hopwood services is the one I go past often but expensive of course, even when I only pay 40% of the price. Shell is gonig to acquire a couple of hundred petrol stations so here is hoping.

Weather looking iffy for the weekend. Unlikely to be the 25-30C air, 40C track temperature to set the best times but hopefully it will be kind to you, it would gaul me to book a run and find it damp or wet. Good luck.

What has VAT or any other political answer got to do with litres and mileage????

Set up a Fuelly account and lets see.

1234525508_ben_stiller_-_do_it.gif

I've just bought a VRS TDI PD and at the moment I've done about 265 miles to nearly 3/4 of a tank.. Surely this can't be right? I've noticed on the motorway at 70mph, the constant mpg reads anything from 43-47mpg and then after a few mins will read in the 50's sometimes early 60's but then drop off again back down into the 40's.

Does it sound like it's using alot?

From full I will normally use about half a tank for 265 miles or so. If the car is brand new then it may use a little more fuel to start as the engine will be tight and need bedding in. For 3/4 of a tank I would be expecting closer to 400 miles unless that is you are using the full power of the engine all the time!!!!

It ain't a new car mate, just clocked 79k. Im not on full power all the time, just now and again. Each day I'm spending 15-30 mins on motorway sat between 70-80mph, plus round town driving. Would running it on vpower make any difference in mpg as that's what I put in it

Edited by Daveyturbo

As i said I mainly use the 1.8 TSI DSG whose fuel consumption is only 10% worse than the VRS Diesel DSG but as a plus the acceleration is 8% better than the diesel VRSs, manual or DSG. I know the Manual VRS diesel is 15% better than the 1.8 TSI but I really need the DSG as I just do so much driving often in urban areas like West London and Canary Wharf. The 1. TSI DSG (7 speed box of course) seems a unique combination where the DSG box improves fuel consumption and economy by several percent unlike most other scenarios, particularly the 6 speed and the diesel combination where it increases fuel consumption by a few percent. It is a product of the weight as well as not having an advantage in more gears. The 7 speed DSG only add 20 kgs where the 6 speed adds 40 kgs plus less gears to optimise acceleration and economy. Add these facts to the much lower buy price with the no VAT deal on at the time and lower delivery wait and there is the logic. It is what to buy for next September is the problem as there is little new on the horizon in the Skoda range I have heard about.

But lol I thought you said range was your objective as time fuelling is time you could be earning your employers £110 an hour?

Surely with a nice 2.0TDI Octy you could cruise a bit quicker and still have much greater range thus doubly saving time?

I appreciate its only got the 6 speed DSG box but presumably that's because the 7 speed can't handle the TDI torque. It may lose a few mpg over the manual TDI but its still 25% better than the 1.8TSI DSG.

I'm confused that you would buy a SEAT Exeo with a diesel engine but not an Octavia (for your business miles at least). Doesn't make any sense to me. If having a 70l tank and the associated range is such a big thing why buy an Octy at all?

Lets face it these MPG threads would be very boring without lol.

LOL literally :rofl: