dash squeek... solved at last! i hope!

Apparently this is the offending area on passenger side.

LHD pic shown

S70-0335.png

This isn't a mkii octavia.

I stopped my squeak once again emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

So much happier with driving the car now. Turned out it was the pesky dashboard screw again behind the side cover. I put cardboard between the plastic molding and the mount and also under the washer on the screw. The noise has definitely gone. I really thought it was the dash itself making the noise, the slightest push on the end of the trim just above the glove box would make it squeak, undoing the screw stopped it.

I think the noise is created by plastic against metal, complete removal of the screw won't stop them rubbing together. It was so simple I could kick myself for not dealing with it sooner. emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

This really works!! Terrible rattle been driving me nuts since i got the car a couple of months ago.....now sorted!

Thanks!

Thanks for all the hints and tips and links.

If it is dash fixing screws slacking off, then wouldn't a threadlocker be better? Maybe some Dumdum underneath? or a squidge of silicone?

Like the velcro idea.

My 59 estate was pretty rattle&squeek free until a couple of months using only the backroads in southern France.

Maybe the feedback loop needs extending if these matters don't arise within the warranty period.

And there was I thinking it was just me. It's been driving me bat**** crazy, like a Chinese water torture, marring an otherwise brilliant car.

Mine has had repeated trips to the dealer. Being as it was intermittent, it's taken a long time to catch. I've settled for an expedient repair - a chunk of rubber hose jammed against the pillar and dashboard, combined with Mrs Mustard occasionally pressing the trim above the glovebox, it's gone for now.

'Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy..'

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Mines been like this for some time now but turning my music up to cover it is getting a bit annoying.

I have identified it to be the rubber seal that goes between the end of the dash and the vent in the door that blows on to the side window. Just have to take the cover off and tighten everything to see if this resolves the annoying squeak!