Towbar (EEK!)

So,

Picking up my fully loaded 170 CR DSG Combi on Tuesday from the dealer.

I want a towbar (Bikes/Trailer/Caravan)so thought I'd ask a couple of dealers for a price for a twin electric removable one. The dealer supplying the car said £850! and a more local one £650. What the hell?? do they now make towbars out of platinum?

Can anyone point me in the direction of a sensibly priced supplier?

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Stumpi

Be thankful you didn't buy a BMW, they can be nearly £2k!!

Remember that if you do go for the cheaper model you will still have to get your electronics reprogrammed to accept the wiring. Check what your dealer will charge for that. also ensure that the cheap fitter uses a proper wiring kit and not a scotchblock type.

Hi Phil,

Did they reprogram the canbus system for that price too?

Where dyou get it done mate, thats the best price ive seen.

Thx

Dave

Hi Dave,

Northwest Tow Bars in Stockport. I didn't go for the canbus in the end, but I might do it later.

I just use the tow bar for fixing a Thule bike carrier.

The Westfalia is very neat and as you can see the bar fits into the spare wheel well section.

Phil.

Hi Dave,

Northwest Tow Bars in Stockport. I didn't go for the canbus in the end, but I might do it later.

I just use the tow bar for fixing a Thule bike carrier.

The Westfalia is very neat and as you can see the bar fits into the spare wheel well section.

Phil.

Phil,

dare I ask where you keep your jack?

:wonder:

Stef

They just quoted me £500 gulp!

WTH is so special about the canbus reprogram, does it really require an extra £200 on the price?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Stumpi

They just quoted me £500 gulp!

WTH is so special about the canbus reprogram, does it really require an extra £200 on the price?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With just the tow bar fitted the rear parking sensors still work as normal.

With the bike carrier on board the sensors bleep constantly when reversing. I can live with that.

Phil.

With just the tow bar fitted the rear parking sensors still work as normal.

With the bike carrier on board the sensors bleep constantly when reversing. I can live with that.

Phil.

I have the same problem, however I had mine fitted as an option when I ordered the car - from speaking with Skoda HQ they say this electrics coding issue should have been sorted by the dealer when fitting it originally. Should your fitter not also have coded the electrics when fitting your towbar (or was it understood that this would be charged extra)?

I'm in negotiation with the dealer who supplied my car (who are 500 miles away) to have this coding work done by my local dealer.

I have the same problem, however I had mine fitted as an option when I ordered the car - from speaking with Skoda HQ they say this electrics coding issue should have been sorted by the dealer when fitting it originally. Should your fitter not also have coded the electrics when fitting your towbar (or was it understood that this would be charged extra)?

I'm in negotiation with the dealer who supplied my car (who are 500 miles away) to have this coding work done by my local dealer.

Coding not required because I only have the basic hidden electrics.

If I had gone the whole hog (extra £200) they would have done the coding.

Phil.

Coding not required because I only have the basic hidden electrics.

If I had gone the whole hog (extra £200) they would have done the coding.

Phil.

Hi Phil -

Sorry to bother you again on this. I also have single electrics (as I doubt I'll ever own a caravan). From what you say, it sounds like the coding work (to disable the rear parking sensors) is only done for the full electrics package? If so, I'm doing my dealer a disservice (and Skoda advised me incorrectly on the phone).

Much obliged,

Andrew.

I have single electrics, Loom fitted at factory, and dealer fitted the rest. When I plug my bike rack in or tow a trailer, the car recognises it and disables the rear sensors. It also gives me a picture of the car with trailer on the columbus.

I was going to get it post fitted by a towbar company, however, I thought if I had any issues, this way I'm just dealing with the dealer.

Hi Phil -

Sorry to bother you again on this. I also have single electrics (as I doubt I'll ever own a caravan). From what you say, it sounds like the coding work (to disable the rear parking sensors) is only done for the full electrics package? If so, I'm doing my dealer a disservice (and Skoda advised me incorrectly on the phone).

Much obliged,

Andrew.

I don't ever want to tow a caravan, EVER. Just a two bike Thule carrier. I'm not bothered about pictures of a car and trailer on the Columbus.

As I say the sensors work fine with the tow bar fitted. With the carrier fitted the sensors don't work. I can put up with that for the odd bit of reversing.

Phil.

Your system is working perfectly then, when towing, reversing sensors are deactivated.

No, what I'm saying is that the sensors work perfectly with the tow bar fitted, but the sensor sounds constantly in reverse with the bike carrier fitted.

As I said I can put up with that.

Phil

Phil, thanks for taking the time to reply.

And thanks too for your comment Darren. This gives me greater confidence that Skoda HQ were correct in what they toldme, and I should be seeking to get this rectified by the dealer.

Hi Philpix

I am looking at getting an aftermarket detachable towbar fitted and understand that a small section of the underside of the rear bumper is required to be cut away for it. I would appreciate it if you could put up some pictures (if you have them) of the underside of the bumper with the towbar fitted and removed. Do the electrics permanently hang down or can they be pushed back up into the bumper when not in use.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Anthony

Hi Philpix

I am looking at getting an aftermarket detachable towbar fitted and understand that a small section of the underside of the rear bumper is required to be cut away for it. I would appreciate it if you could put up some pictures (if you have them) of the underside of the bumper with the towbar fitted and removed. Do the electrics permanently hang down or can they be pushed back up into the bumper when not in use.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Anthony

Hi Anthony, This is the Westfalia tow bar. Befiore and after attaching. Hope this helps.

Phil.

PSP_6698.JPG

PSP_6701.JPG