Colour Coded Grille - Best Practice?

OK, if you are taking the chrome surround to a professional sprayer, do you need to strip the chrome off first and perform any other prep or can you just hand it in "as is" and let them deal with it?

Asda bleach to be precise, I thinks its a myth though, but no harm in trying. :thumbup:

Cant imagine it will work but might be worth a try. Bought a new grille surround some time ago with the intention of painting it but have so far been unable to get the chrome off, 80 grit paper barely scratches it and i know from experience that it will need to come off before it can be painted with any degree of success. I may see if a chroming company can strip it chemically without dissolving the plastic.

Cant imagine it will work but might be worth a try. Bought a new grille surround some time ago with the intention of painting it but have so far been unable to get the chrome off, 80 grit paper barely scratches it and i know from experience that it will need to come off before it can be painted with any degree of success. I may see if a chroming company can strip it chemically without dissolving the plastic.

I am doing exactly that. I have managed to manually strip most of the chrome using a stanley knife blade and patients. much of it peels on in strips, but I'm now lest with the fidly bits. I started where the Skoda badge fits so that any scratches in the palstic wouldn't be seen.

Mine was done by just keying the chrome surface and as a result, it's chipped to buggery!! My advice, make sure you ask them to completely strip the chrome off. :thumbup:

Mine was done this way too, but it hasn't chipped any worse than the surround bonnet paint.

What was the cost to have it done professionally? I'd had a go myself but would be scared of making a mess of it and having to buy a new grill and then start again! :doh:

What was the cost to have it done professionally? I'd had a go myself but would be scared of making a mess of it and having to buy a new grill and then start again! :doh:

The place I used charged about 40 quid, I plan on stripping it soon and repainting myself, to achieve a 'showroom' finish will involve patience, care and ideally a polishing machine of some description. The other alternative is to wrap it, I have just done swmbo's front grill on her Golf GT and it came out perfect! :thumbup:

Where are you located mate? I have just dropped of GTi rear valance to be colour coded, the guy is only charging me £70!

I have a race blue Octy VRS pre-FL and I have just completed a 'Carbon Wrap' of the grill. Instead of using the 3M black carbon(like most people on this forum) I chose to use 3M Anthracite carbon wrap (think it might be called graphite or something like that). Personally I think it looks fantastic and would really complement anthracite coloured wheels (which I hope to do in the future). I do have a picture, but can't upload as my freedom subscription has expired (I plan to address this on pay-day). Anyone who would like to see a photo please PM me and maybe you can upload on my behalf, if you want to see it before 1st August !

Edited by peanut18

The place I used charged about 40 quid, I plan on stripping it soon and repainting myself, to achieve a 'showroom' finish will involve patience, care and ideally a polishing machine of some description. The other alternative is to wrap it, I have just done swmbo's front grill on her Golf GT and it came out perfect! :thumbup:

Where are you located mate? I have just dropped of GTi rear valance to be colour coded, the guy is only charging me £70!

Thinking this might also be an option - wondering if carbon wrap would look good against Black Magic, or just plain gloss black...feel more comfortable cutting a vinyl carefully than permanently removing chrome! Ummm, used to be in Kent too, but am now 150 miles further north - thanks anyway!

Thinking this might also be an option - wondering if carbon wrap would look good against Black Magic, or just plain gloss black...feel more comfortable cutting a vinyl carefully than permanently removing chrome! Ummm, used to be in Kent too, but am now 150 miles further north - thanks anyway!

I think Brimma did his grill in carbon (in between matte black, colour coding and gold!) might be worth sending him a PM for a picture?!

I think Brimma did his grill in carbon (in between matte black, colour coding and gold!) might be worth sending him a PM for a picture?!

Have done that as think he is local to me, so asked about the paint job...didn't know he'd done all the other combinations as well :D