Stalled my Car Today...

Reversing out of a parking space and then put it in D, went to pull away and it stalled itself. Anyone else had this? I was on level ground too.

The gearbox isn't a smooth as it was and could actually hear some of the gears changing today as well as it being a bit jerky on the change up and down.

Think i will get it checked out when it goes in for a service :(

I have noticed subtle differences in my DSG between cold and hot weather.

Not really anything bad, but most apparent when engine is cold and I apply throttle very quickly after selecting D or R, bit jerky/snatchy.

I'm sure it pooped out of R when I tried to reverse out of the drive (slight incline) the other day, had to reselect thru N

Never stalled mine (famous last words) but I do notice the gear changes more than I thought I should, especially the 3 to 2 change when entering a roundabout for instance. Be interesting to see what Skoda have to say about it as I mentioned when mine went in for service in June. No software updates on the system. All the technician could ask was "do I left foot brake?"

Ian

Never stalled mine (famous last words) but I do notice the gear changes more than I thought I should, especially the 3 to 2 change when entering a roundabout for instance. Be interesting to see what Skoda have to say about it as I mentioned when mine went in for service in June. No software updates on the system. All the technician could ask was "do I left foot brake?"

Ian

It should be impossible to stall. I think there may be something wrong with the clutches. As you also shouldn't be able to hear the cogs changing. It is a metal clonking noise like what happens if, in a manual, you release the clutch to early in a gear change and it 'clonks' into place. Doesn't do it all the time but noticed it a couple of times on up and down shifts on a 10mile journey earlier.

I spoke to the previous owner of my car before I bought it and he said he'd had trouble with the car stalling as he was slowing down (almost to a halt) approaching junctions etc, said that the Skoda garage in Edinburgh had the car for over a week but still felt it wasn't quite right when he traded it in (he only owned it for approx. 9 months before I bought it - it's a mid-2010 petrol VRS)

I've owned the car now for almost exactly 6 months and it's never stalled once, so who knows what the hells going on there!

I take it you stopped before putting it in D from R

Yes always do - i believe that you have to to be able to get it into D.

I do remember stalling mine once (having it stalled for me). I was inching forward out of a driveway and upon applying the brake or possibly rolling against a slight impediment, the engine stalled. Hasn't stalled again and I don't hear the gear changes or any other weird noises. Never thought about it again.

Get them to check for clutch drag, I had the clutch pack replaced on mine. They take some block measurements.

Thanks for that, i will give them instructions to do block measurements for clutch drag. I suspect that this could be the cause due to the noises and the stalling.

My DSG A3 never stalled, though for about the last 5k miles I had it for (it only had 30k on when I sold it for the Octavia), it did seem to want to keep 'pulling' when I was coming to a halt. You're right, they should be impossible for you to stall through your actions, but if the computer gets it wrong, then I guess a stall (or anything else!) is perfectly possible!

How many miles have you done? IIRC they need the oil changing at 40000 miles

Not had any problems with mine (21000 miles)

My truck at work stalled today starting off on a sharp turn uphill. Mercedes 400hp 1500 lbs ft Auto 44 tons. It selected 3rd went for the throttle, turned wheel and stalledemoticon-0101-sadsmile.gif There is a lot of drag though when turning

How many miles have you done? IIRC they need the oil changing at 40000 miles

Not had any problems with mine (21000 miles)

My truck at work stalled today starting off on a sharp turn uphill. Mercedes 400hp 1500 lbs ft Auto 44 tons. It selected 3rd went for the throttle, turned wheel and stalledemoticon-0101-sadsmile.gif There is a lot of drag though when turning

It hasn't hit 18k yet or had its first service! Luckily it is due in 1k so i will get them to look at the same time as there isn't a decent dealer within a 25mile radius of me!

I wasn't turning the wheel or anything which i could have understood more, also coincidence that it is noisy and jerky too....will keep an eye over the next few days and see if it does it again or make anymore weird noises.

mine hasnt stalled yet but I think all the trouble I am having with "bunny hopping is the DSG and nothing to do with the dpf just in house waiting for skoda AGAIN to phone

giving them until just before xmas its been doing it all year ,if its still doing it then ime rejecting the car :thumbup: going through union at work so its free but ime not prepared to pay £20,000 plus for a car brand new what you are waiting for it to break down,so they have 4 and a half month to sort it

and my next car will deffinatly be a manual and petrol

Edited by greatdane

something wrong here, should never stall,you should never hear the gears or feel the change 99% of the time, good to hear that I am not the only one with a slightly jerky drop from 3 to 2 though.

Haven't been out in it today but will keep you updated on if it does it again.

Hmmm, jerky changes could be indicative of a mechatronics unit issue? Worth getting it checked out though, pronto emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Wonder if issues like this would log a fault code?

I do remember stalling mine once (having it stalled for me). I was inching forward out of a driveway and upon applying the brake or possibly rolling against a slight impediment, the engine stalled. Hasn't stalled again and I don't hear the gear changes or any other weird noises. Never thought about it again.

+ 1 mine did it once about 4 moths ago, never did it again, I wouldn't worry, its like anything electronic.... throws a wobbly every now and again for no apparent reason then never does it again! :smirk:

Well it has been happy as larry today - will see how it goes over the next month until my service.

something wrong here, should never stall,you should never hear the gears or feel the change 99% of the time, good to hear that I am not the only one with a slightly jerky drop from 3 to 2 though.

I'm wondering if it is a matter of timing and I'm just getting back to the throttle as the car decides it wants a downchange, resulting in a less than smooth change.

Ian

• 1 month later...

jrw,

mine has done it a few times in the last few weeks or so.

i'm not concerned really, cos other than that, it's been fine.

H

ps: am intrigued about your 0-60 time - is that with no remap?

Forgot to update this.

Dealer couldn't find a fault and no new updates for the software. Has been fine since.

That 0-60 is totally standard ;) Done on a proper sprint at GTI International this year.

Forgot to update this.

Dealer couldn't find a fault and no new updates for the software. Has been fine since.

That 0-60 is totally standard ;) Done on a proper sprint at GTI International this year.

Nice one.

re: 0-60; I thought mine felt quicker than the suggested 8.4s to 62 (8s to 60?), that's why I asked. :D

Edited by Herschel