Press-to-Talk button

My PTT button on the steering wheel (58-plate Elegance 170CR) has stopped working. It brings on the initial "bong" but my voice commands are not recognised. I know that calls made with my paired BlackBerry Torch are heard. Everything was OK with the original BT module, but I've now upgraded to the latest one - is that the reason? I know of at least one other member who's done the same, but can still use their PTT for telephone calls.

I'm on firmware 3810A.

A VCDS scan on modules for radio and navigation both show:

1 Fault Found:

01523 - Microphone for Telephone (R38)

011 - Open Circuit

OK - I can do without it, but if something should work and doesn't, it's likely to get on my threepenny bits quite a bit! :)

I've posted this in the Diagnostic section a while back without a reply, so I'm trying here as well.

Any comments or suggestions gratefully received.

Ray

Same as the wheel button - pressing either brings on the initial tone (indicating that it's ready to receive a command), but the commands are not heard. After a couple of "Pardon?" responses, I'm then told that I can change context by saying "Radio", "CD", "Media" or "Navigation." None of these command replies are heard either (goodness knows what the neighbours think when they see me shouting at my radio!), so eventually it says "Cancel," plays the tone again and exits.

Ray

Looks like one of two things then (since it isn't a problem with the scroll wheel - proved as the same fault happens with the button on the Columbus) either the voice activated software or possibly the microphone. Might be worth checking the microphone connections in case it's a simple fix, e.g. a loose wire. If the voice activation software has a fault that could be expensive. Then again, it might just be a case of wiping the current installation and overlaying a new one, much as you might do to, say, replace windows vista with windows 7. I guess it comes down to how much you need the functionality?

What button is the voice activation on the steering wheel?

Sorry havent mastered everything yet,... still learning ... hence asking! :-)

What button is the voice activation on the steering wheel?

Sorry havent mastered everything yet,... still learning ... hence asking! :-)

Press (as oppose to roll) the scroll wheel on the lhs of the steering wheel with the Columbus switched on and the voice activation will enable signified by a musical tone. The tell it to dial number etc etc

Press (as oppose to roll) the scroll wheel on the lhs of the steering wheel with the Columbus switched on and the voice activation will enable signified by a musical tone. The tell it to dial number etc etc

Many thanks! :-)

I just used it for volume! ;-) awesome! lol

Are you saying that the microphone that handles the telephone conversations OK is different to the one for the voice control? As I said earlier, the puzzling thing is that the telephone calls work OK from the wheel, both directions. Perhaps there IS a second microphone, or it's duff, or it needs an extra connection?

Ray

No, I'm not saying there are 2 microphones, just suggesting you check that the microphone isn't the cause of your problem. The voice interface isn't that good, e.g. every time I say a name to dial I always get the response 'did you mean...'

About one in 3 times it suggests the wrong name. On that basis I don't think it would take much to make it unable to pick up commands, bit of fluff stuck to it or something similar?

Worth a look before asking the stealer about the software issue.