Speedo not working

Hi guys. After having, and sorting many problems with the help of the forum, i have one left.

VCDS gives me this fault:

16885 - Vehicle Speed Sensor: Implausible Signal

P0501 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

I'm guessing this is the speed sensor on the gear box which i have located at the the back of the engine bay on the gear box (1.9 SDi)

Can any one confirm this is correct and if so give a price of what one will cost from Skoda (roughly)

Any help appreciated! :giggle:

Edited by cool_dood01

Ok, Got my new speed sensor or as skoda call it distance sensor.

Part code S6Q0919149A - £47.66 + VAT

Any how, Fitted the new sensor and STILL not getting any speed readings! Arrrr!

I have checked there is some form of power at the speed sensor connection and there is.

I have checked that there is power at the speedo its self and i get a reading when its unplugged.

Also checked for a signal at the stereo and i get one when the speedo is disconnected. When i reconnect both plugs at the back of the speedo i get no reading at the stereo connection and the speedo still reads 0mph!

I'm really stuck now? Do i have a dodgy speedo? The needle is not stuck because i can make it sweep via VCDS?

Really need some help now, its annoying not having a speedo - I know the SDi isn't fast but still :'(

Its not one of the wheel speed sensor, as in what the ABS/ASR systems use is it? The fault code doesn't suggest that, and if it was a wheel sensor it would tell you which one it was too.

My car dosen't have ABS so would it still have a sensor at the wheel?

Hello cool_dood01

Did you think to ask SKODA what the cure to your problem might be, as to spending your hard-earned cash on guessology,

and really not knowing what is wrong.?

May I humbly suggest hand your problem over to the experts, you could end-up saving some money being spent in the right place,

being already £50 + out-of-pocket, with no cure.

You may want to check for water in the wiring loom. The loom runs along the plenum chamber from the drivers side and exits behind the ABS unit. For access, I usually find it easier to remove the metal panel at the back of the engine bay and cut the 3 clips that hold the plastic scuttle panel to it.

You may want to check for water in the wiring loom. The loom runs along the plenum chamber from the drivers side and exits behind the ABS unit. For access, I usually find it easier to remove the metal panel at the back of the engine bay and cut the 3 clips that hold the plastic scuttle panel to it.

Ok, Is this the plastic bit under the wiper arms?

Ok, Striped it all out down there, Dreged out all the gunk and checked the wiring loom. All seems ok but gave it a good wipe down and an extra covering of electrical tape.

giandougl thanks for the suggestion. Its the route i will take eventually if it can be fixed by myself or with the help of the forum. B)

Ok, This has now been weeded out to be a problem with the speedo unit its self.

My current unit # is 6Y2 919 860 A

At the moment there are a few on ebay but none with that number. Am i able to fit any speedo out of a 1.9 SDi/TDi or do i have to be careful as to what i fit? :wonder:

I have found units out of diesels with numbers

6Y0 920 972 S

6YO 920 970 D

6Y2 919 880 A <---- Thinking this is my best bet :|

Again any advice/help appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

To put a close to this thread the fault lied in the wiring loom in the engine bay. Hats off to fordfan for his correct diagnostic!

After getting a replacement speed sensor, undoing all the loom and then getting an auto electrician diagnosing a faulty speedo the fault lied with the engine loom.

I got a replacement loom and it cured the problem.

I decided to strip the engine loom down again and took off a small area covered by the original loom tape that i decided to overlook when i first took off the plastic casing. Under this what looked to be dirt had rubbed its way through the wiring for the earth connection of the speed sensor. This was positioned in the small clamp at the right hand side of the engine.

Thank you for posting the conclusion

Most people get help and do not bother coming back which is frustrating

Now we know and can help others if this fault occurs to point to your thread

Thanks National

• 6 years later...

Hi I have this issue. As I speed up and slow down its seams to change my fuel reading. I'm suspecting the same issue as. Cool dood as I've had water come into passenger footwell due to bad drainage below the wipers. Could you send me a picture of the earth strap for the speed sensor for its location? Abs sensors shouldn't affect this should they?, issue popped up after changing bearings