Octavia Buying Advice

Chaps

Am looking to buy myself an older Octavia so I can clear the finance and start overpaying our mortgage.

Any things to look out for?

Basically I've seen a number of dealers with 2.0PD DSG's for around the £7-8K mark all with less than 40K on them.

Specifically, what do I get extra with a "Sport" model

Any advice? I know that I get 1 years warranty buying through a dealer.

Anything I need to look out for?

I am not in a rush to buy one, but there are one or two that I have my eye on that if I can secure a deal on them then I'll go for it no questions asked.

I currently have my Fabia up for sale in the Cars for Sale section - If I can secure a private sale then that would be ideal - I can pay the finance right now then take my cash and plump for whatever :)

Thanks chaps.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No rush just want to start sorting out finances.

The trade in won't be much less than what I paid - plus I'll save myself 6.5K in outstanding finance.

Plus running costs will be cheaper etc.

Yes i have plenty spare and can pay for a vRS happily but having had the power and finding the roads these days don't really allow it - plus I would like a bigger vehicle I think I can take the hit on depreciation given the above.

imo no one will pay your asking price or close to it for a private sale, you can wish and think all you like, i bet you will be lucky to get £11500 in a private sale

OK this thread was not about arguing how much "I could get".

I was open to offers, what's wrong with a bit of bartering.

Mods please lock as nobody can be bothered to provide me with the information I requested in the first place.

mate

i would help however only had big blue for 3 months ish paid 8 k high miles but the spec i wanted for her had little probs nothing major all done under warrenty she is my first skoda so carnt really help

rob

Hmm ... the PD140 is "known" for "turbo issues". My parents bought an Octavia Elegance Estate 2.0TDi PD140 last year, and after about 7 months, the turbo "failed", putting the car into limp mode - according to the dealers, the actuator rod was stuck. Mileage was just under 60k.

A new turbo was fitted under the Skoda Approved Used warranty, although the vehicle first required inspection by their assessor, so the whole thing took a little over a week.

They also had an electronics "wobbly", whereby the brake lights were permanently on (even with the ignition off, etc), which was again fixed under warranty.

If you do a search, I'm sure you'll find other occurrences (off the top of my head, Wardy, my parents, and another chap, all had the turbo go in the same week!).

Think the "Sport" model comes with sports suspension ... not sure what else!

I think Honest John has a list of the common faults on his site..?

Edited by martinch

Hmm ... the PD140 is "known" for "turbo issues". My parents bought an Octavia Elegance Estate 2.0TDi PD140 last year, and after about 7 months, the turbo "failed", putting the car into limp mode - according to the dealers, the actuator rod was stuck. Mileage was just under 60k.

A new turbo was fitted under the Skoda Approved Used warranty, although the vehicle first required inspection by their assessor, so the whole thing took a little over a week.

They also had an electronics "wobbly", whereby the brake lights were permanently on (even with the ignition off, etc), which was again fixed under warranty.

If you do a search, I'm sure you'll find other occurrences (off the top of my head, Wardy, my parents, and another chap, all had the turbo go in the same week!).

Think the "Sport" model comes with sports suspension ... not sure what else!

I think Honest John has a list of the common faults on his site..?

Sport comes with sports suspension and Pegasus alloys (mine had 225x45x17's)

Cheers all.

If I do go down this route, SWMBO has now specified that I shouldn't get an "old" one.

I've seen one or two that are 55/06 plates with 23K on the clock for around 7K which seem a bargain to me, but she wants something "newer" which is disappointing.

This will lead me down the PD engine with DPF issues trail - is it really that much of a problem?

I've seen cars that are 08 plates for £12K with same miles as 55/06 plates for £7K with same spec.

Aside from the obvious age difference... would there be any detriment in getting an older one?

You'd still get 12 months warranty with either model...

I've seen cars that are 08 plates for £12K with same miles as 55/06 plates for £7K with same spec.

Aside from the obvious age difference... would there be any detriment in getting an older one?

One thing to watch for is that some early 2.0 PD140 BKD engines in the Octavia had a problem with porous cylinder heads which could lead to slow coolant loss, poor starting etc. This was cured on later versions of this engine from about 2006/2007 onwards. You may find that older cars have had replacement cylinder heads under warranty anyway, but its certainly something to check if you're looking at an early 2.0 TDi.

The older ones may suffer from tyre wear on the rear tyres (4wheel alignment needed to set it to the new values), bushes may be getting tired apart from that I would say if you are looking to pay your mortgage off early I would go for the cheaper/older model (less depreciation) and then use an independant garage for servicing etc to keep the costs down for a few years, you might also have to learn to live with a few minor niggles and not repair them to save spending on it.

Thats my big problem, I have a nice car and if I hear a rattle etc I have to fix it, hence why I was looking to sell my car and buy something cheaper, the plan was to detach myself from the car and use it as a tool and not have the hobby/enjoyment from it and the need to get niggles/etc fixed

Cheers Matt.

Ironically one of my previous Octavia's had an issue with wear on the rear tyres, though I still managed to get through 32000 on the originals!

To me, a 5 year old or a 2 year old car with 25,000 miles is still a car with 25,000 miles of wear and tear on it.

With the fact that these engines are good for 200K and I'm doing 10K per year, then I don't see any issues with getting at least 3-4-5 years out of a car like this.

I've found a few decent examples about, but i've also been tempted by a VERY cheap VW Passat Estate that I've seen as well (I'm talking 5K down on the list price cheap for a 10 plate.............)

My old 06 plate Octavia Elegance DSG that I had had done 53K when I traded that in, and I only traded it because I was hell bent on getting a vRS and I did have some niggling electric faults (rear brake light that kept complaining that it was faulty even though it was fine...)

So who knows... I'd be happy with an older one anyway...

The one I've seen is an R Line Estate in Silver at a local dealer.

Looks the ****

Though I would imagine parts and servicing long term will cost more than owning a Skoda.

Sorry, had missed this one :)

Anything else you still need to know?

Sports were based on the Ambiente with Sports suspension, 17" Pegasus wheels, Sport bumpers (effectively smoothed compared with the standard ones) and a small 'flick' type rear spoiler on the hatch. Remaining spec is mid-field and is more basic versus the Elegance or L&K. Depends of course what was specified as options on the ones you've found.

Can fully understand your reasons for change - makes sense in the bigger picture and buying a decent example say on an 06/07 plate means a large portion of depreciation has already be completed. You're then free to cover mileage and own it, without really loosing much money - when the time comes to swap to something else.

Happy hunting emoticon-0148-yes.gif

P.S. Have you given James at Allams a shout about your vRS? Could be that a buyer can be lined up, who wants to beat the queue.

The one that I did find appears to have Cruise control on the stalk, but is not listed in the options - so not sure if it is on there and the dealer has neglected to spec it.

In fact I don't know how accurate the dealer listings are half the time - I found one car that appeared to have full blown Leather Trim and Sat Nav (Both options on an elegance I believe) and neither were listed.

As daft as this sounds, I quite like the leather steering wheels that you get with the Elegance spec (and when you are driving a car, you are in contact with this all the time, so I figure I should plump for something that I'd actually like touching)

Not too bothered about the Dual Zone Climate Control not being there, as long as some form of air conditioning is present on the car.

I think I've looked up the Ambiente Spec and decided that one like that would be fine too, so I guess a Sport would fit the bill also.

If it's come up on the Skoda used car search then yes, often inaccurate. Seems they don't take the time to list correctly. Post up a link to the one(s) you've found if you like, and we'll take a look.

No worries if you've checked over the specs and you're happy. The standard 'dial-type' HVAC system comes with AC as standard, yes. Other options are cruise (as you mention), rear elec windows, armrest, sunroof, dimming rear view mirror (perhaps some more, those are just off the top of my head). Rear parking sensors are useful to have as well, as the view of the rear bumper line from the driver's seat isn't brilliant.

This is the one I've spotted :-

http://www.skoda.net.r66.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=601385439

From what I can see: -

Cruise Control - Check

No Armrest

It has got rear electric windows (Not bothered either way as I don't have children, but always a "nice to have")

Can see the Tyre Pressure Monitor button on the dash

No parking sensors - but not too worried, I've had 3 Octavias in the past with sensors or not...

No Maxidot - again not essential but I DO like Maxidot

Leather Steering Wheel - check (Small Leather Pack, I think they call this..)

Appears to have bog standard rear view mirror - so no auto wipers or dimming. That's fine too - I don't like Auto wipers much.

If anyone can spot anything I havent then that'd be great :)