Question about de-badging

St

For those who have actually done it on a new car.

Hair dryer to heat things up a little and soften adhesive.

Some sort of sticky stuff remover, maybe autoglym bug remover?

Repolish etc.

Assuming not missed out any step then that's all clear.

Now the question is, how long did you leave it until you did the de-badge?

a) No time at all, did it in the first week.

b ) ~1 Month?

c) 6 months or longer.

I'm not sure that with modern paints as compared to the old single stage solvent evaporation paints the advice that the paint on new cars is still "soft" (if that is the correct term) applies any more. I'm sure some detailing experts on here will have the low down though.

Edited by St?lmunk

Did the Octavia within a few weeks of having it - very carefully lifted the edges and heated to soften the adhesive, until the grip was broken. Was left with a patch of adhesive which I managed to remove with some elbow grease, followed it up with a few coats of AG SRP to tidy it up.

When the Superb arrives I will do it as soon as possible - just makes for cleaner appearance. :thumbup:

Mine went day one. Just the Superb and Tdi ones off the tailgate of course. As an unknown brand so far in Oz people don't recognise the Skoda badge at all. Of 3 Aussies who've guessed at a brand from 20 metres away, 100% have said BMW with a fair amount of certainty, and told me my solar power systems must be too expensive if I can afford one of them. All of them bought a system though when I told them what the car is and mentioned the 5.5 litres per 100 kms (51 mpg).

Personally I've never understood the "debadging craze".

If I ever see a car without badges my first thought is the car looks incomplete and then I wonder what is being hidden - poverty spec possibly?

Then I assume someone is ashamed of the badge - well removing it really won't help.

But anyway - everyone's choice I guess.

If I ever see a car without badges my first thought is the car looks incomplete and then I wonder what is being hidden - poverty spec possibly?

It always makes me think that the car has had a shunt, been repainted and the badges not replaced.

Then I assume someone is ashamed of the badge - well removing it really won't help.

I think BMW started it so the poor relations in the company car park weren't too embarressed when parking next to the higher ups

................. I wonder what is being hidden - poverty spec possibly?

Well, keep on wondering! My car was debadged by the dealer. The Skoda badge remains but the tacky plastic model badges have gone. It's gives an easier surface to wax and polish.....and by the way, my car is hardly poverty spec! :)

Well, keep on wondering! My car was debadged by the dealer. The Skoda badge remains but the tacky plastic model badges have gone. It's gives an easier surface to wax and polish.....and by the way, my car is hardly poverty spec! :)

Agreed on the spec comment.

I took off the Superb badge as I just think its a stupid name for a car! left the TDI and Skoda badges though.

;)

Personally I've never understood the "badging craze".

I don't understand what they are there for -the mechanic? The salesman? To remind you it's diesel or petrol? Removing it means I get less people driving up my a*** to see what I m driving, so I think that helps me.

But as you say, everyone's choice.

Also did you know if you was given a fixed penalty and if they didn't identify the make and model, the ticket is null and void. ie if it was a BMW and they took a guess at it being a 320 but it was a 318 then you probably will get off with it as on your V5 it will state 318. Quite a few people round here do it alot coz of the lack of parking on the streets in the valleys. Last month our Flat bed tipper got a ticket and instead of putting ford transit she put our company name as the make. So in process of having it overturned and made a complaint as well to the police which is now resulting in all her parking tickets being investigated as how many other people have been illegally fined. Now tempted to debadge my fabia so if I am issued a ticket could use it as an excuse. Is there a any legal requirements to have a manufacturers badges and model names on there?

If you know what you're doing it's easy to tell if a car has been in a shunt. Unless, of course, the repair is so good that you can't tell, in which case the shunt is irrelevant. So a car not having badges shouldn't be a worry.

Edited by davekmoore

My cars 3 weeks old, 1 min with the hair dryer on each letter, maybe not even that long and each one came off with nothing more than some leverage from my finger nail. Not a blemish or any sticky left.

Gotta laugh as I stuck them onto my Dads Corsa giggle.

Edited by Stumpi

We take the badges of the back of our cars all the time.

We have a fleet of about 450 to 500 Skoda’s the badges are taken off to apply magnetic or stick on chevrons. The people that do this come the day the car is delivered. They do not use heat or anything. They just pull them off wipe over the sticky area and you would not know there was a badge there.