SimonK24's Mk1 Fabia vRS

SimonK24

Nice, bitch of a job isn't it? Took me hours!

Well I found removing the strips quite easy, bit of heat to soften the glue and gently pulled them off. Trying to remove the residue was hard to start with as I only had bug and tar remover. It was quite obvious that was going to take hours, so after reading your guide went and bought a toffee wheel, and the residue was off in no time! Brilliant bit of kit to have.

Couple of negatives after doing this though, is the repair work I had done 6 months ago. Whoever removed the bump strip to paint the passenger door clearly didn't use a toffee wheel to remove it, instead using something which has marked the door, and it shows up through the paint. Will have to get the lower door painted again now, but its not too noticeable (only to me!).

Also the door sounds rather hollow now :( so need to address that at some point.

Door handles are going in for paint as well this week, some places wanted £150 odd to do them, and I nearly gave up, however the last place I visited agreed a price of £40 which I think is reasonable. Just got to get the things in and out without buggering something up!

Edited by SimonK24

Door handles are going in for paint as well this week, some places wanted £150 odd to do them, and I nearly gave up, however the last place I visited agreed a price of £40 which I think is reasonable. Just got to get the things in and out without buggering something up!

Good luck :D Just don't unscrew the torx bolts too far as they just pop out and drop into the bottom of the door insides :D

It took me ages to get the residue off.

I probably took it too cautiously though, my Kate scared me with stories of him burning the paint.

Wise words above. The handles can be a pain. My local shop removed them for me. I had a go when I was doing the sound proofing, and still managed to drop the bolt even when anticipating.

Just take it slow, quarter turns at a time, and loosen both Torx heads. You'll need a skinny tool for the one, I had to buy a dedicated t25 Torx screw driver.

• 7 months later...

Not updated this in a while, but I bought myself a standard set of 16" vRS alloys a few weeks ago. Paid £145 for them with tyres which was a bit of a steal. Original intent was just to sell them on again to a mate, but I thought with a bit of spare time I would have a go at refurbing them myself. Thanks for the inspiration Pastyboy :wonder: don't know if it's a good or bad thing really :giggle:

Put them on the other week to try them out, holy cow - having never used budget tyres before I didn't realise just how little grip they have in the corners. Lots of screeching and not much else happening apart from horrendous understeer. Managed to buy a couple of used Bridgestones (5mm still left) from the bay for a lovely price of £55 delivered for two. They will go on when the wheels are finished.

Anyway for some rather boring photos, I'll update again when things start getting interesting. Lots of preperation going on at the moment.

As for the colour, I am attempting something which I have not seen on here yet, and not entirely sure its possible with rattle cans, but hey ho, worth a go!

8142285704_349058811d_n.jpg8142254803_0b0415d094_n.jpg

Anyone tell me how to post the photo straight into here as well? Only started using Flickr recently and not sure how to do it!

Edited by SimonK24

Thanks for the inspiration Pastyboy

No worries I'm here to help and am full of great ideas.

As Joe and his bright blue wheels will confess to :)

Black and yellow isn't new though si

IMAG0242.jpg

Although this one is at the other end of the country

I've just laid my hand on another set of standards ready for a winter refurb.

I love my gold so they may go on mrs pasty's car and she casually mentioned purple :S

ahhh the yellow is the primer haha! I couldn't do yellow I don't think. I was thinking of purple too, but a very dark shade which I have seen on a mazda.

Colour I'm going for is a hyper silver. Needs a black gloss base, followed by a silver colour, which I have picked 'aluminium'. Should be interesting as the proper stuff is lead based, lets see how I get on :S

I thought yellow would be a bit bold; and the finish didn't look great

Being primer though that would explain a lot!

worst case scenario you can sand it all off and start again :)

Some more progress

Black basecoat

8164317693_d455df5f8f.jpg

Then Plasti-kote 'Aluminium' over the top

8164353406_585b43faf3.jpg8164354100_e752995374.jpg

Then 2 coats of lacquer

8164352056_4c47866683.jpg

Just the other two wheels to do next, then leave them for 7 days to harden up, then I'll give them a good going over with some G3 to really make them shine.

Lets hope they don't get chipped when I have the tyres put on, else I won't be a happy bunny!

They look good Si.

Always like a good silver with a hint of something in it.

Yours with the black. The hyper silver with it's blue-ish hue.

My silver wheels with a serious hint of yellow. ok ok fine they're gold :D

Whats the plan once they are finished?

Never to replace the Evolos?

Shift them on for a profit i guess ;)

Cheers, I'm quite into this now. Once the prep work is done I find it quite therapeutic going down in the garage with some music on, and making something manky all shiny shiny!

The colour isn't quite what hyper silver is like, but it's got that metal look to it in person, which I am more than happy with. I like the stealth look to shock people ;)

Plan is to keep these and use them for track/drag strip duties, with tyres fitted they come in about 2.5-3kg lighter per wheel than the Evolo's :happy:

My aim is to get a 100mph terminal down the drag strip, so some weight needs to go in areas without sacrificing comfort too much. Still have to commute to Gloucester Airport!

Pastyboy, how about something really stupid for your wheels? Stone effect, velvet, or suede? :rofl:

http://www.plasti-ko...t/pccode---3620

Edited by SimonK24
  • Like 1

It is theraputic and very rewarding.

The weight thing was part of the reasons I've always stuck to 16s.

I'm about 10 mins from staverton so if you need a bed for the night following or before a run let me know.

The talk of Cadbury purple and silver sparkles is crazy enough.

Unit 18 also have a nissan with rota grids sprayed in a camo pattern which had me inspired.

I'm torn between getting on with it and sorting something or waiting until after the potential day at Cadwell

We shall see

Some more progress

Black basecoat

8164317693_d455df5f8f.jpg

Then Plasti-kote 'Aluminium' over the top

8164353406_585b43faf3.jpg8164354100_e752995374.jpg

Then 2 coats of lacquer

8164352056_4c47866683.jpg

Just the other two wheels to do next, then leave them for 7 days to harden up, then I'll give them a good going over with some G3 to really make them shine.

Lets hope they don't get chipped when I have the tyres put on, else I won't be a happy bunny!

The place I went to had a rim protector which they put on the wheels when fitting the tyres :) worth asking!