Pair of latex gloves

TMC Tuning Box Kit

Car used :

2011 MK2 Skoda Fabia vRS 1.4TSi

Time needed :

About 20 minutes but allow a bit more

Difficulty :

3/5 - A couple of plugs are fiddly

**MAKE SURE THE ENGINE IS COLD WHEN INSTALLING OTHERWISE YOU COULD END UP GETTING BURNT**

You'll have this to start with :

tmc2.jpg

tmc3.jpg

tmc4.jpg

Engine bay should look like this :

tmc5.jpg

First thing you will need to do is remove the engine cover, this is done by gently but firmly lifting the bottom left and right corner then then pulling the cover towards you :

tmc6.jpg

The three plugs that need to change :

tmc7.jpg

Turbo boost pressure sensor plug

tmc8.jpg

Camshaft sensor plug

tmc9.jpg

Manifold air pressure sensor plug

Let's start with the turbo boost pressure sensor plug, you will need to remove the turbo air intake pipe by removing the below Torx screws (some already removed but locations shown) :

tmc10.jpg

tmc11.jpg

On the top end once you remove the two torx screws you will have to lift off the plate helps hold the pipes together. Now you will need to wriggle the pipe while turning it towards the engine so it becomes loose like so :

tmc12.jpg

Edited by VRS-Powered

Now that's out the way you can get to the turbo boost pressure sensor plug, you will need to take the large flat head screwdriver and use it to remove the clip. This should then allow the plug to push off :

tmc13.jpg

Now connect the turbo boost pressure sensor plug on the TMC harness to where the OEM one was and connect the OEM plug to the other connector on the harness :

tmc14.jpg

You then have to refit the turbo air intake pipe by using the steps above in reverse. You should be left with :

tmc15.jpg

Now move onto the camshaft sensor plug, you will need to take your large flat head screwdriver and unclip it :

tmc16.jpg

Now connect the plug on the TMC harness for the camshaft sensor to the OEM port and the OEM plug to the TMC harness.

Last plug now, the manifold air pressure sensor plug. Much like the camshaft sensor plug you will need to unclip it with the large flat head screwdriver :

tmc17.jpg

Connect the plug on the TMC harness to the manifold air pressure sensor port and the OEM plug to the TMC harness.

You then need to connect up the tuning box itself, you do this by pushing in the plug into the box :

tmc21.jpg

Then pushing down on the purple securing pin :

tmc22.jpg

Should be left with this :

tmc19.jpg

You can now tweek the setting to which one you would like to run, 0 being the lowest power to 9 being most power, you will need to use the small flat head screwdriver :

tmc23.jpg

At this point turn on the car to make sure no faults come up, if they do it might be best to remove the tuning box and investigate further.

Time to tidy it up and secure the tuning box. I cable tied the cables (provided in the TMC kit) to the air intake pipe leading the airbox and cable tied the tuning box to the car :

tmc18.jpg

(I will be securing this more at some point today)

Finally we have to put on the engine cover back on, push the bung at the top of the cover into the slot for it and then push down the bottom left and right corner :

tmc20.jpg

Step back, pat yourself on the back and go and get yourself a nice cuppa............or take the car out to feel the extra ooommpphh!

Edited by VRS-Powered

Yes I can feel it pull a lot harder now, the engine feels like it has got a bit more urgency to it.

I can't comment on whether it is better than a remap, it hasn't been run down Pod' or on a RR yet (was supposed to be this month but not sure now) so haven't got figures to compare. Obviously the difference is the box is a generic design where as the map is custom.

Edited by VRS-Powered

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I found this one in Germany

https://www.tuningkit.de/index.php (need to change the lingo and find the correct box by choosing car model - direct link to the unit doesn't work for some reason :( )

Any thoughts?

I think it is Briskie sponsor as well.

Delivered at current exchange rates is £272 :)

sorry for n00b question. Does it connect to the fuel rail sensor? What is this thing altering a I assume it works on intercepting and conditioning the original ECU signals.

Edited by Jabozuma

For the TMC box it connects to :

Turbo Boost Pressure Sensor

Camshaft Sensor

Manifold air pressure sensor

Not sure what the Tuningkit.de unit connects to, might be worth emailing them to ask. Looks like it could be a good alternative and, like I did, it's worth trying something different.

Still running it buddy, with all the problems with the engine I didn't risk spending anymore on it.

It's a good solution to be honest and does give a massive improvement vs stock. You're around my way, if you ever fancy it I can always take you out in it.

• 5 months later...

I heard that a tuning box can improve your mpg as less need for the engine to change down because of the more torque, have you noticed a better mpg and what do you get combined?

MPG is mostly dependant on your driving style. Tuning (be it box or re-map) can improve mpg by leaning out the mixture a bit on certain points in the AFR map. However, If you keep giving it a plenty it will burn much more fuel than stock - power desn't come from nowhere you see :).

• Like 1

Sorry what's AFR?

Air Fuel Ratio - how much fuel injectors squirt in at particualr throttle opening position, engine rpm, temperature, knock sensor input etc, etc,

They also play with boost levels, ignition timing, accleration enrichment maps, knock sensor learning tables and other bits and bobs.

• 4 years later...

Thanks George (hope calling you 'George' is okay). 

It's a shame that newbies coming to the site, possibly, as in my case with an elderly car, cannot get the full benefits.

My interests obviously are with the 2011 Mk2 car - with posts between 2010 and the demise of the excellent Fabia VRS.

I understand that people move on - but their posts should remain in tact for all to enjoy in perpetuity. 

Perhaps it would be better to get rid of incomplete posts as they serve as an unwelcome distraction and would avoid disappointment.

A terrible shame.