Will I like a vRS

Currently on my second mk1 Tdi 110 diesel and think their great cars. I love the engines flexability but was just after a bit more go! and stability on the road.

I've not tried a mkII vRS 170 yet so I'm looking for some idea of what to expect.....are they much quicker than what I'm driving now and how do they pull low down, I don't what something you have to keep the revs up to get the power.

Hoping that you guys who have one can convince me to buy one. Only thing thats putting me off the vRS is this injector problem!

Regards

Benterrier

Yes you will notice it will be faster than your 110 TDi. Got one myself and love it, especially the torque. I presume you do a good number of miles a year, and on 40mph + roads. If you don't and only have short journeys in and around towns then you will likely see a lot of DPF problems.

I have a 170 PD and love it. Great power throughout the rev range and good economy.

Costs are as expected and the car is very stable even at quick speeds.

If you can try and get the CR version as it is quieter and the power delivery is a bit smoother. I dont mind the power delivery of the PD since it's there when you need it

Hey if you're worried about the injector problem, why not compromise and get a 140 break TDi. The car will be just as good as the VRS only a little more relaxed. Still a noticeable difference over the 110.

It will be a significant step up from a 110 tdi but I never really liked my cr as it wasn't as quick as my previous tfsi and not so much fun to drive.

You will notice a huge difference , i had a 110tdi Seat toledo chipped to 140 and i thought that was nifty but the VRS is as different again , the difference between a 110 and 170 is akin to jumping out of a Fiat Panda into a Jag its THAT different.

Fuel consumption between VRS and 110 is probably on a par . The ride is harsher but not uncomfortable (i am on 17" rims) but this makes the handling far more responsive and pleasurable to drive .

As for driving normally i find that the PD engine does not have as much torque as the 110 very low down in the rev range ie 1000 - 1300 rpm so its easier to stall out , i think this is also made worse by the higher gearing on the VRS , but you will get used to it and drive accordingly , i now always choose a gear lower than i think i need when negotiating roundabouts etc, when on the open road the engine still pulls well from 1500 to 1800 after that the boost arrives and the smiles begin

My PD spends all week doing short runs of 1-2 miles 4 or 5 times a day and then gets a cruise up the motorway at weekends and it has given me no DPF problems even after a Shark remap .

I did have 1 injector fail but i had a warranty with Warranty wise so the repair paid for the cost of the Warranty , i would advise anyone buying a used VRS to get a warranty , VAG quality is not what it was and there appears to be a lot of expensive component failures in low mileage cars throughout their product range .

Overall i am pleased i changed to the VRS , i enjoy driving it and would certainly buy another but my next one will be DSG equiped

I have 170bhp diesel with DSG. For me, the complete all rounder. Significantly faster than a 110bhp car. Ride is sporty. Over 50mpg is normal for me. My only issue is some tyre noise on poor road surfaces. Other than that, it is a TOP car. emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Thanks Guys

Your replies have got my mouth watering. There’s one in Droitwich on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-OCTAVIA-vRS-DIESEL-HATCHBACK-2-OWNERS-FSH-/280718418678?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item415c1f22f6. What do you think, are they asking a fair price! I like the silver models….black would be too hard to keep clean.

I do lots of motorway miles and have to say my present car suffers from road noise, road surface and wind direction appear to make a big affect but since fitting Michelins things have got better.

I have given the 140 bhp some thought but would the suspension let it down against the vRS.

Regards

Seems reasonably priced, for the age and mileage.

You might well still notice road noise, I think they benefit from a bit of additional sound deadening around the boot area and rear wheel arches. Plus you're running 225/40/18 tyres, which will be bigger and wider than on your current Octy.