1.9tdi pd 100- REMAP

I have priced both vrs and pd 100 remapped. It's definitely cheaper to insure a pd 100 remapped than a vrs...

My insurance with a pd100 standard is £985- fully comp and YES in MY name not my parents... As I have two years no claims bonus. I don't have any other plans for the car except for a remap and if for any instance I do need to make a claim or someone claims against me I'd rather know I've got it insured for fact and not just taking people's word for it.

It is a controversial one and I know people who have and have not informed of remaps so it's a tough call! Lol.

Can't wait to get a pd100 now! Waiting for the right one :)

Ok- a little off topic but can anyone tell me as I can't find any info... Do the 1.9tdi pd 100's have disks all round or are they drums on the back.

PD100's have discs all round (vented 256mm - front, solid 232mm - rear), their not bad in terms of breaking and I haven't had any issues with my standard setup.

The figures stated in my signature is after getting mine remapped at 140k miles (currently approaching 146k miles)

That's brilliant- thanks very much for the information. I've also read about the pd160 intake upgrade. If I was to get a pd100 remapped then put a pd160 intake on at a later date- would it affect the map in any way.

Also is your map a clean map- i.e no smoking when you open her up?

Cheers

That's brilliant- thanks very much for the information. I've also read about the pd160 intake upgrade. If I was to get a pd100 remapped then put a pd160 intake on at a later date- would it affect the map in any way.

Cheers

Smokes a bit, but that's mainly down to the vanes on my turbo are sticking due to the mileage

I'd love a Vrs but I'm only 19 and can't afford insurance- a 100pd then declare the remap is much more reasonable. I'm on the look out for an elegance so top spec to compensate for not being a vrs!

What are spikes?

Questions I should ask?

Where should I go?!

What are safe gains?

I'm not looking for as fast as possible- I'd like nice gains and nice to drive without damaging the turbo and clutch too much!

Once again- sorry for all the questions.

I'm only 19 I've got a Vrs and insurance with swift cover is not that bad at all mate get a Vrs mate and get that mapped I'm running a map with egr delete and decent filter and running 185bhp and around 300ftlb of torque it's brilliant!

How much you pay depends on various things (age, NCB, postcode, no. years driving, driving convections).

I'm 25, driving since Jan 08, 4 years NCB, clean licence, high risk postcode and I'm paying (with mods declared) £150 p/m

How much you pay depends on various things (age, NCB, postcode, no. years driving, driving convections).

I'm 25, driving since Jan 08, 4 years NCB, clean licence, high risk postcode and I'm paying (with mods declared) £150 p/m

Postcode is down to a lot of it I think

I'm 24, driving since Feb 05, clean licence, 2 years ncb, 1 at fault accident, and with mods declared on a vRS - £850.

Cheers

My remap makes next to no smoke, the exhaust is extremely clean.

Had it specifically done like that at my request. Some maps can chuck loadsa fuel in, and it can help create more power, but chucking out loadsa soot wasn't something I wanted

That's exactly what Angel say.

Which is complete rubbish and all part of the usual sales patter.

A remap is detectable. It takes 5 minutes to read from a 1.9TDI ECU and compare it to a standard map. You could even train a monkey to do it.

Don't get me wrong, I want people to bring their cars in for mapping as much as the next tuning company, but customers generally hear what they want to hear. Most tuning companies will hit you with the "not detectable" thing but we're more professional than that and would rather tell the truth and the whole truth, even if it means losing a sale.

• Like 1

That's what I've heard and plan to get a map and declare to insurance- hence the reason I'm getting the pd100 and not a vrs- works out cheaper to remap and declare than insure a standard vrs.

Plus a speCced out elegance will be lovely :)

Edited by wilsy7

Which is complete rubbish and all part of the usual sales patter.

A remap is detectable. It takes 5 minutes to read from a 1.9TDI ECU and compare it to a standard map. You could even train a monkey to do it.

Don't get me wrong, I want people to bring their cars in for mapping as much as the next tuning company, but customers generally hear what they want to hear. Most tuning companies will hit you with the "not detectable" thing but we're more professional than that and would rather tell the truth and the whole truth, even if it means losing a sale.

That's me telt :p .

Seriously, good to hear it like it is. I've thought about a remap, but as I'm not the most enthusiastic of drivers anyway, I'm just going to leave it standard (like the rest of the car - totally unmodded ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz).

I can understand why a remapped pd100 is appealing, espically with all the other little bits that can be done like exhaust, pd160, filter etc...

Plus still enough power and slugs of torque to show barry boys were to put there french shopping bags!

(Coming from a man who has a saxo track 5lag also) :rofl:

That's me telt :p .

Seriously, good to hear it like it is. I've thought about a remap, but as I'm not the most enthusiastic of drivers anyway, I'm just going to leave it standard (like the rest of the car - totally unmodded ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz).

While you obviously need to weigh up the effects on your insurance, even if you don't push the vehicle all that hard, a remap is still worth considering.

I got in on the Shark special buy about a year ago - remap and free STS. I didn't apply the map until early this year (had to wait for my old insurance to run out and get new which allowed the mod), but I'm more than just happy with the results. Most of the time these days I don't drive all that hard - I seem to spend far too much time commuting to and from work or working. Even without pushing the vehicle all that hard, the difference in how it drives is amazing. Its smoother, revs higher when I need it, and has enough extra grunt to make it fun all over again.

Not to mention the economy - I drove to London last week to pick up 4 wheels and tires from another member. Around 160 miles round trip - calculated mpg of 59.2 (the trip meter was a bit pesimistic - it said 58.4). Would have been better if I hadn't had to crawl for 10 - 15 miles on the M25 on the way back (I do love roadworks, not!), but still a pretty good result.

So, I'd say it might be worth it if it doesn't up the insurance costs too much....

Paul.