Burning/Leaking oil?

Hi guys,

I have a 57plate 2.0 TDI VRS for 3 months. (98k on the clock)

I think it's burning oil (as there is no oil patch on my driveway).

It seems as though every 1000-2000miles I have to put a liter of oil in it. This can't be right!

The oil i have been putting in it is 10w40 semi synthetic. Is this the correct oil?

Hope someone can help. (Or ask me questions to get more info, not sure what else i need to provide)

Many thanks

Matthew

1) Yes, it's burning oil. According to SUK (and Vw and Audi say the same) 1l/1_000m is "within specs" though.

2) No idea. Does the can bear a VAG 500 series oil specification number and an SAE "C" specification (like SAE CH)?

3) Is the car on fixed or variable service? On that mileage/age I'd have expected variable, in which case I'm almost certain 10W40 is wrong, and I think the VAG spec. should be 507.00.

Official grade is 5W/30 synthetic to VW spec. 507.00. RTFM. The VW spec is important to prevent damage to the mechanical fuel injection system . That consumption is heavy ,but as said, within specs.

Official grade is 5W/30 synthetic to VW spec. 507.00. RTFM. The VW spec is important to prevent damage to the mechanical fuel injection system . That consumption is heavy ,but as said, within specs.

Hi again guys.

The oil i have been topping up with is Castrol Magnatec 10W-40 A3/B4 Part Synthetic

img1035gm.jpg

You mention i need an oil that's to VW spec, can you recommend one that i could pick up from halfords?

Many thanks

Matthew

I am not an oil expert, but that is not the correct oil for a PD engine, its usually 5w/30 Semi for fixed servicing or slightly different for variable servicing. Quantum and Shell both do oils for VW group.

It looks like you are topping up with oil thats too thick

Hi

I use Mobil 1 ESP for topping up - it is 507 spec.

I have used Mobil 1 for years in my Astravan (0/40 full synth) and motorbike (0/40 full synth) - it is good stuff.

Cheers

Dave