Phil.B's Black Magic 04 Fabia vrs ** Track day at Oulton 10.11.13

Phil.B

Looks good mate you get them refurb end yet

Cheers! :) No not yet, I've ripped the tyres of the two spares and bought nitromors and wet and dry to start the polishing, going to be a long hall lol.

I wanted to ask you a question about the prep for the powder coat actually, will send you a pm!

Wheels suit it down to the ground mate! good job

Thanks! Thats the main reason I had to have them.

You both reminded me to stick a couple of pics up I've taken since I've had them on...

amy5uny3.jpg

zesu5ase.jpg

These are the two spares before I've taken the sandpaper to them!

a7uda8at.jpg

I want them mirror polished, I'm having a go myself but if I fail they're going to be properly done.

• 6 months later...

I haven't updated this in ages so thought I'd add a few pics!  I've not changed much since April apart from keeping the maintenance up really and enjoying the car. :)     Went to inters with my mates and threw mine on the ibiza stand as briskoda didn't have one. :( Was an amazing weekend as usual, but roaasting hot! I found a pic someone had taken of it on the stand.

qa7e2eba.jpg

I went over to Europe with a couple of mates just in my car in August. We drove from up North to Dover, straight to the nurburgring (got the bug from last year) after a night there we went to a show in Holland called DMPD which has to be one of the coolest shows I've been too, was nice and chilled out after the mad ring! Decided for even more of a chill after that and drove to Amstrerdam. Driving home from there. It was an awesome holiday and the VRS was absolutely faultless, I had that much confidence I didn't even bother to take breakdown cover out!  :rofl: Both my mates were very suprised with the VRS. (not derv fans) We all loved how it got us there for pennies averaging 55-60mpg, handled great on the ring (one lap each), looked at home in a 'scene' show and comfortably ate up the motorway miles. Not many cars can do that in its price range and it made me love her even more!  :love:   The campsite we ended up staying at which was deserted :)

6ugabu2a.jpg

The standard pic at the ring lol

uvumy5av.jpg

Campsite beers in holland

apyjebys.jpg

A pic I took at the show in Ede, the location and building was amazing.

epugehah.jpg

Seeing as it's been twice now I think it deserved this lol.

hutury5u.jpg

Before I went it had a new set of tyres, a service (oil,filter, air filter). I also cleaned out the intercooler pipes and added zip ties as I could hear a bit of whistling from them. While I was at it I did the elephant mod and disconnected the egr. Hopefully they won't go like that again! Oh and of course a big polish.  :angel:

My next challenge for her is a track day at Oulton park in November. I'm going to be fitting some pads that can take more heat, uprated fluid which was why I didn't change it on my service but it's just come up to two years since I last did it when I bought the car. I'm also refurbing a set of wheels which will be getting some yoko parada rubber. So far I've cleaned them up, removed the weights and started to attack the corrosion with a few choice drill attachments! They are going to get a coat of anthracite and 2k laquer. Really looking forward to the day and I'm intrigued as to how it will feel out there. I got some 15 inch BBS solitudes from a Corrado, not sure if they will look a bit small on it but I'm not too bothered, just going to be used as track wheels and maybe through the winter. 

vetyqa9e.jpg

Iron X doing it's thing, I love this stuff!

he9eduzy.jpg

I took a quick pic the other night, thought I out this up too.

uhu8abuz.jpg

As you can see it has a dent on the front wing thanks to my mum backing into it, luckily very slowly so it's getting a new wing asap!

I've not polished the Segins as I wanted to but think that will be a winter project to keep me busy.  

• Like 3

It did really well on the ring, didn't push it too hard though. I did get a bit of heat soak due to having the standard intercooler and my brakes did begin to fade a bit. It did 3 laps, one each with my two mates driving it too. After each lap we came off to let everything cool down, driving up and down a long road and left it in the car park with the hand brake off for 15 mins. 

One of my mates has a 200sx and the other a 106 gti, both with good track specs. They were both very suprised how it handled :)

Cheers!

I had the colour made up for the calipers but I don't think its perfect, slightly too light.

It was completely wound down at one point but its very stiff and can't have anyone in the back. At the moment the fronts are about 2cm from the bottom and the rears have the cup in place without the adjustable piece on. I went to the ring with 3 people in the car and full of luggage at this height and was fine, almost practical  :happy:

• 4 weeks later...

I had some fun with the VRS on Friday, I did the track day at Oulton park with a few mates.. I think it was the most fun I've ever had and was very very impressed with the car :) To get ready for track I fitted yellow stuff pads, ate super blue fluid. Finished refurbing the Bbs solitude wheels and fitted yoko parada tyres.. Oh and a Faboka remap! Took a quick pic of what I fitted before it all went on.  

5ahujyna.jpg  

Here's a few pics from the day, I've got more on the girlfriends slr but will have to get them off her.  

u5umepyb.jpg  

ratumugy.jpg  

aby6aha6.jpg  

I found a video on YouTube with an m5 following me and overtaking when I caught another car up.

I've been to the ring twice but never a proper track day. It was wet for half the day but gave me chance to push the limits at slower speeds, a mate showed me the lines and I also took the free tuition on offer which helped me even more. I built up my confidence over the day and was pretty happy with myself at the end, still got plenty more to improve on though! I think the highlight of the day for me was overtaking 3 Porsche 911's in a row after pushing them round and not letting me and my mate past, until the Marshall's blue flagged them! :) I'm sure it would have been a different story with better drivers.    

Did look to be going well your car B)

Not too much smoke either!

Didn't end up on track at same time as you all day though

Thanks :) Would have been good to see your vrs going round However we did all comment on how nice your rallye was, don't see many about!

Looks like you had a great day at Oulton, I think this place is a good challenging track, your car had good pace too.

I did! Definitely a challenge especially how slippy it was out there. Will have to try and join a briskoda one next year. I'd like to try the Anglesey circuit.

Looked a good day.  Paradas are shocking in the wet so not surprising you found it tough in the damp, but they are a good dry weather tyre!

My average lap time 6 weeks ago or so was around 2:15 - Think I put in the odd 2:12, but in reality I couldn't learn the track in a morning, and then I broke the car....

I had some fun with the VRS on Friday, I did the track day at Oulton park with a few mates.. I think it was the most fun I've ever had and was very very impressed with the car :)

Looks like a good day and nice to see the car went well. :)

Thanks :) Would have been good to see your vrs going round However we did all comment on how nice your rallye was, don't see many about!

Thanks.

I sold it on saturday after the track day!!! :)

Looked a good day.  Paradas are shocking in the wet so not surprising you found it tough in the damp, but they are a good dry weather tyre!

My average lap time 6 weeks ago or so was around 2:15 - Think I put in the odd 2:12, but in reality I couldn't learn the track in a morning, and then I broke the car....

No your right they aren't the best in the wet, when the track had a dry line they were much better!

One thing I didn't do was time my lap, I was more concerned with getting round  :giggle: I'll definitely have to next time, and get a camera mount sorted!

Looks like a good day and nice to see the car went well. :)

Thanks :) I think I've got the track addiction now though lol.

Thanks.

I sold it on saturday after the track day!!! :)

Haha! Next track day in the Vrs then?

Cheers John, your map definitely made the biggest difference!

Haha it is low, to be honest i raised it up.. but then put 15's on so it went lower again! Nope didn't bottom out once even coming down from lodge onto the pit straight, the JOMs did surprisingly well!

• Like 1