Yeti handover

Szek

Well it arrived after a ten week wait. Yes it was worth waiting for. A blue 1.2 Auto SE. very nippy, good road holding. Highly recommended. I wish I could say that about the dealer. I had to ring for progress reports. No extras thrown in ie mats, petrol, mud flaps, flowers for the misses, free service. Just an offer of a coffee. The handover took about 15 minutes and we were told as we had Skodas in the past there was no point showing us the controls. We compared the purchase to buying a trolley load of goods at Tesco! Not very different. A bit disappointng as we had purchased three cars previously from the same dealer.

Well it arrived after a ten week wait. Yes it was worth waiting for. A blue 1.2 Auto SE. very nippy, good road holding. Highly recommended. I wish I could say that about the dealer. I had to ring for progress reports. No extras thrown in ie mats, petrol, mud flaps, flowers for the misses, free service. Just an offer of a coffee. The handover took about 15 minutes and we were told as we had Skodas in the past there was no point showing us the controls. We compared the purchase to buying a trolley load of goods at Tesco! Not very different. A bit disappointng as we had purchased three cars previously from the same dealer.

My handover was not even 15 minutes... AND I had to stick the tax disc in the windscreen myself. But he knew I had read the manual before collection and had asked him tricky questions so I guess he knew not to even bother with a handover for fear of embarrassing himself! hehehe

My handover was not even 15 minutes... AND I had to stick the tax disc in the windscreen myself. But he knew I had read the manual before collection and had asked him tricky questions so I guess he knew not to even bother with a handover for fear of embarrassing himself! hehehe

not just me! I forgot to mention that the tax disc was not on the windscreen. We only noticed it the following day. On a new topic the handbook talks about running in but the dealer said it was not necessary. Apart from not over reving any advice from out there?

Edited by Szek

Well my handover was about 5 minutes and consisted of 'here's the car, this is how you lock and unlock it. Any questions?'

In all honesty I wasn't really bothered as I there's anything in my car I can't figure out for myself or by reading the owners manual then I should buy something more simple.

As far as extas, I had about a quarter of a tank of fuel. I don't really see the problem it's not as if they need to throw freebes at people on cars that have long waiting lists the demand is there and they are there to make money after all ;)

As I was switching from an Octavia Scout the salesman assumed - on the whole, correctly - that I would not need any detailed instructions about switchgear, driving etc. - and to be honest he seemed baffled by the amount I already knew about the Yeti (from this forum, of course)! He seemed quite relieved to get me on my way fairly quickly, and I just wanted to go away and play with my new toy too, so happiness all round!

not just me! I forgot to mention that the tax disc was not on the windscreen. We only noticed it the following day. On a new topic the handbook talks about running in but the dealer said it was not necessary. Apart from not over reving any advice from out there?

Did you perhaps get your car from Marlborough Å koda West London? :giggle:

As to running in: do a search as there are many a thread on the pros and cons.

STUFF them, next time shop elsewhere

Our handover took about an hour and we would only do the deal if we got something for free emoticon-0110-tongueout.gif

We EXPECT to be treated as if the car was a first purchase.

If I get bad service I will make a point of writing to complain, AND if I get good service, I always make sure I write to thank the member of staff concerned by contacting his/her manager.

I did this when we purchased Ivor. :yes: (the thank you bit, not the complaint :giggle: )

I am sorry to hear all these bad handovers,

My handover was very different!

The day the car arrived off the transporter with all protective skins on we go t a phone call to tell us the car had arrived, we went to see it and were given the keys too!

A few days later, we went back to collect, the car was in a special area "new collections" a large bouquet of flowers were presented to us. Then a 30 minute handover with explanation of all things Yeti was performed. (This was also the case when we got the Fabia on March).

Only thing I did find odd is that a Yeti 170 Elegance does not have mats as standard :thumbdown: I purchased these and mud flaps, my daughter was given a big cuddly Yeti as a good will gesture.

The dealer is Mitchells in Ellesmere Port, they offer excellent service which includes a car wash Saturday every week, if you bought it there you can go back every week for a wash, while that happens you can help yourself to free drinks and nibbles, internet access and newspapers etc.

That sounds like exceptional service James I, can't be many like that.

My handover was quite relaxed, having been to dealerships previously on the first day of a new Reg i wasn't looking forward to it, but I was the only customer there for the whole time, which was just after 9 til around 10.30, Documents were checked and signed, after I had a chance to look round the new car and check for defects, then I was taken out and a full explanation to basic operations was given. I printed out a check list from the 'whatcar' website to let me know what i needed to do, which was very helpful with this being my first new car.

As far as freebies, as part of negotiations, i make it clear that any car I buy should have free mats and a tank of fuel, costs them a lot less than me, I also got a free bootliner and the best part of a grand off the list price, i was told on several occasions that there was no skoda backed incentives as the product is selling so well, but I know the dealer makes money, so for me to buy I want some of their cut! I was close to missing out, but I had a target price in mind and I wanted that met, and told them so. Could of got more off with other manufacturers, but I got the price, service and quality i wanted. I dissapointed the salesman buy not buying any after products like supaguard, there own GAP, or any other packages, but I got everything i wanted (well door sill covers and roof rails would have been nice, but the salesman being new had to get every approved by his manager and was on the verge of a breakdown, the look on his face when I asked for a free cuddly yeti made me realise he was close to the edge!

That sounds like exceptional service James I, can't be many like that.

My handover was quite relaxed, having been to dealerships previously on the first day of a new Reg i wasn't looking forward to it, but I was the only customer there for the whole time, which was just after 9 til around 10.30, Documents were checked and signed, after I had a chance to look round the new car and check for defects, then I was taken out and a full explanation to basic operations was given. I printed out a check list from the 'whatcar' website to let me know what i needed to do, which was very helpful with this being my first new car.

As far as freebies, as part of negotiations, i make it clear that any car I buy should have free mats and a tank of fuel, costs them a lot less than me, I also got a free bootliner and the best part of a grand off the list price, i was told on several occasions that there was no skoda backed incentives as the product is selling so well, but I know the dealer makes money, so for me to buy I want some of their cut! I was close to missing out, but I had a target price in mind and I wanted that met, and told them so. Could of got more off with other manufacturers, but I got the price, service and quality i wanted. I dissapointed the salesman buy not buying any after products like supaguard, there own GAP, or any other packages, but I got everything i wanted (well door sill covers and roof rails would have been nice, but the salesman being new had to get every approved by his manager and was on the verge of a breakdown, the look on his face when I asked for a free cuddly yeti made me realise he was close to the edge!

So much for the main argument main dealers have against buying off t'interweb that they give a much better more personable service.

Yes it should/is no different than buying a fridge or any goods just a bit more expensive.

Did you perhaps get your car from Marlborough Å koda West London? :giggle:

As to running in: do a search as there are many a thread on the pros and cons.

The dealer was Willis. Following the responses has been an eye opener. I suppose I should have been more insistent re freebies. The problem is you are in the dealers territory and they have the upper hand. If there was another dealer in the vicinity I would have done a comparison.

Interesting stories... My handover was done 'by the book' - my car was leased from Lombard who INSIST that a full handover and explanation is given to EVERY customer, and they phone to check that it was done properly a few days after..

However I have no complaints, I had not had a Skoda before (though I did have a Touran 3 years ago) so it was nice to be shown the features and have an explanation of how they (should) work.

Having said that I drove away from the dealer, pulled into the first layby and got the hand book out to see how to connect the blue tooth (information overload at the dealer) and made a quick test call to my daughter to check it worked. I then had to drive about 160 miles to an exibition I was due at later in the day, but as soon as I had settled into my hotel (and eaten) I was off out to try the cornering bi-zenons - in the country lanes around Newbury, climbing roads through woods - they were fantastic !! and still are...

As to 'hammering' the dealer for every last penny and free gifts etc, please consider one thing.. the dealer MUST make a profit - if he doesn't he won't be here tomorrow and who will look after your car then?

Profit is the one thing that keeps the world going, you sell your labour for a 'profit' just as the local shop sells it's goods, and car dealers sell cars. Don't knock the word 'profit' without it the economy would totally collapse... Mind you we all like a discount !!!

Interesting stories... My handover was done 'by the book' - my car was leased from Lombard who INSIST that a full handover and explanation is given to EVERY customer, and they phone to check that it was done properly a few days after..

However I have no complaints, I had not had a Skoda before (though I did have a Touran 3 years ago) so it was nice to be shown the features and have an explanation of how they (should) work.

Having said that I drove away from the dealer, pulled into the first layby and got the hand book out to see how to connect the blue tooth (information overload at the dealer) and made a quick test call to my daughter to check it worked. I then had to drive about 160 miles to an exibition I was due at later in the day, but as soon as I had settled into my hotel (and eaten) I was off out to try the cornering bi-zenons - in the country lanes around Newbury, climbing roads through woods - they were fantastic !! and still are...

As to 'hammering' the dealer for every last penny and free gifts etc, please consider one thing.. the dealer MUST make a profit - if he doesn't he won't be here tomorrow and who will look after your car then?

Profit is the one thing that keeps the world going, you sell your labour for a 'profit' just as the local shop sells it's goods, and car dealers sell cars. Don't knock the word 'profit' without it the economy would totally collapse... Mind you we all like a discount !!!

That's a fair point about profit, but I think what many car purchasers feel bad about is the way that some salespeople make it seem as though they are doing you a favour, rather than that a mutually convenient transaction is taking place. It is also insulting when, if trying to sell you a product that is probably the most expensive single item you will ever buy (apart from a house) they actually know less about it (and about the supply/delivery chain) than you do! This is bad enough when you're spendingg £200+ on a washing machine from Comet, but when you're spending £20,000+ ... !

What the mixture of comments does tell you is that shopping around and negotiating can make a difference. Despite the fact that dealers are all franchised by the manufacturer (and supposed to follow minimum standards) the levels of service can vary a great deal.