MDI retrofit

Hi Juan27

Found someone who has diagnostic gear near me, he said he'd take a look for me in the next day or two. Will let you know the outcome.

Chris

Cheers Chris,

If I get a solution or more info I will post too.

Don't you need to code the CAN Gateway for MDI in the Installation List and also then ensure it is enabled on the Bolero as well?

Pretty sure!

Andy

Lets hope its simple. When you say "enable on the Bolero" do you mean in the Bolero menu setup or in VCDS?

OK I have coded it in the Canbus and "Media In" now appears and I can play from the HD but I have a fault code. I've tried clearing but it comes back.

Address 2E: Media Player 3 (J650) Labels: 5N0-035-342.lbl

Part No SW: 5N0 035 342 D HW: 5N0 035 342 D

Component: SG EXT.PLAYER H13 0150

Revision: A1001003 Serial number: 7669852793

Coding: 010000

Shop #: WSC 00028 028 00001

VCID: 28712311E263

1 Fault Found:

03138 - Input AUX IN

009 - Open or Short to Ground

Freeze Frame:

Fault Status: 01101001

Fault Priority: 4

Fault Frequency: 1

Reset counter: 68

Mileage: 22402 km

Time Indication: 0

Date: 2012.14.00

Time: 12:28:49

Any ideas anyone? Is that likely to be a problem with the Kufatec loom?

Also the AUX option has disappeared, is that to be expected? (or related to the fault)

One conclusion: At least one Octy needs VCDS coding to retrofit MDI with part number 5N0 035 342 D

Edited by juan27

OK I have coded it in the Canbus and "Media In" now appears and I can play from the HD but I have a fault code. I've tried clearing but it comes back.

Address 2E: Media Player 3 (J650) Labels: 5N0-035-342.lbl

Part No SW: 5N0 035 342 D HW: 5N0 035 342 D

Component: SG EXT.PLAYER H13 0150

Revision: A1001003 Serial number: 7669852793

Coding: 010000

Shop #: WSC 00028 028 00001

VCID: 28712311E263

1 Fault Found:

03138 - Input AUX IN

009 - Open or Short to Ground

Freeze Frame:

Fault Status: 01101001

Fault Priority: 4

Fault Frequency: 1

Reset counter: 68

Mileage: 22402 km

Time Indication: 0

Date: 2012.14.00

Time: 12:28:49

Any ideas anyone? Is that likely to be a problem with the Kufatec loom?

Also the AUX option has disappeared, is that to be expected? (or related to the fault)

Conclusion: At least one Octy needs VCDS coding to work with MDI part number 5N0 035 342 D

I remember when i was looking at fitting a bluetooth unit, i read something that suggested the some looms did not pass the aux in through and you had to release the connecter from the original plug and move to the same position in the new plug. Did you check when you installed that everywhere you had a plug, there was a socket and wires to the new plug?

I remember when i was looking at fitting a bluetooth unit, i read something that suggested the some looms did not pass the aux in through and you had to release the connecter from the original plug and move to the same position in the new plug. Did you check when you installed that everywhere you had a plug, there was a socket and wires to the new plug?

Thanks very much for the suggestion. I did not check, but I can't see how that would really work with the limited slack available. Strikes me a new bit of wire might be required if that is the problem.

I don't relish taking the kufatec lead back out again to check but I guess that might be the only way to clear the fault.

I guess I need some feedback from anyone who's retrofitted MDI with an AUX in place previously?

Edited by juan27

Thanks very much for the suggestion. I did not check, but I can't see how that would really work with the limited slack available. Strikes me a new bit of wire might be required if this is the problem.

True - infact i seem to remember that the poster mentioned unwrapping the loom to give slack.

Of course, I can't find the post.....

EDIT: Or may be i can... http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/190138-facelift-octavia-integrated-bluetooth-install/page__view__findpost__p__2270444

One other point - theres a blue 8 pin block on the stock connector (believe its for aux in / CD) that needs to be moved to the adapter block (the kit comes with no instructions but its pretty obvious were most connections go.

Edited by sdenny

Hi Juan27

Found someone who has diagnostic gear near me, he said he'd take a look for me in the next day or two. Will let you know the outcome.

Chris

Chris,

Coding the CAN gateway certainly seems to have worked for me, although I still have a fault code. Can I ask how you got on with fitting the piggy back kufatec lead as I found it an extremely tight job to fit it anywhere around the back of the bolero? I will probably need to take it off again to check it and if there's an easy way to refit it may save me much swearing and scraping of the hands! I'm particularly interested in your experience as you bought the same kit as me.

Juan

I will probably need to take it off again to check it and if there's an easy way to refit it may save me much swearing and scraping of the hands!

One other thought on this:

When I put my handsfree in, I took out the top storage box and the glove box (you need the battery disconnect to avoid air bag errors - i didn't - doh). I think I then unwrapped the loom a little (possibley to separate the antenna from the audio connector), but I then managed to route the connector up the side of the bolero - between it and the glove box - and joined my piggy back connector here, before routing the other end of the loom back to the radio.

With the top box and glovebox out, you can put the radio in, whilst "adjusting" the cables from the side/top.

Hope you get it sorted.

True - infact i seem to remember that the poster mentioned unwrapping the loom to give slack.

Of course, I can't find the post.....

EDIT: Or may be i can... http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/190138-facelift-octavia-integrated-bluetooth-install/page__view__findpost__p__2270444

Thanks for looking for that. I recall the blue block in the original loom connector but there is already a full complement of two connectors like that (one black and one white IIRC) in the new connector to the back of the Bolero. As I said I did not check there are corresponding wires connecting. Seems to me the AUX in might be lost when fitting MDI (it kind of makes sense) but would be great if someone can confirm.

With standard MDI on the VRS for example do you still get the AUX socket in the Maxi Box or is it assumed you will buy the lead and route it through the MDI?

In the end I'm willing to lose the AUX in (never used it as IMHO its dangerous enough messing about with the Bolero touch screen whilst driving never mind trying to work with an i-pod or whatever) but I would like to fix the fault code as I imagine it may cost me money when it goes for a service...

Edited by juan27

One other thought on this:

When I put my handsfree in, I took out the top storage box and the glove box (you need the battery disconnect to avoid air bag errors - i didn't - doh). I think I then unwrapped the loom a little (possibley to separate the antenna from the audio connector), but I then managed to route the connector up the side of the bolero - between it and the glove box - and joined my piggy back connector here, before routing the other end of the loom back to the radio.

With the top box and glovebox out, you can put the radio in, whilst "adjusting" the cables from the side/top.

Hope you get it sorted.

Thanks again for your advice.

Funnily enough that's where I've got the piggy back connector too. Couldn't see anywhere else it could possibly fit to be honest. It was a swine of a job getting the original loom connector back to there and then particularly getting the new connector past the back of the plastic Bolero mounting box into a position to (struggle to) get the connector into the socket of the Bolero (due to its short lead).

I did remove the top box for access, but not the glovebox. As my installation has nothing in the glovebox (MDI unit behind climate controls and very small USB HDD in the "ashtray") that seemed a scary step too far. Maybe a bit easier getting the lead in if you do?

Edited by juan27

Regarding my AWOL factory AUX-in after MDI retrofit; On the Kufatec Website:

http://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/info/p1113_VW-MEDIA-IN--MDI-Interface---Harness--.html

It says: "•The factory fitted AUX-IN connector get lost - mp3 player with jack connection needs to be connected to the media-in interface"

Which just leaves me with the fault code wondering it its normal because of this or a real problem.

I am assuming of course it really is "open" rather than a "short to ground" (ie No connection rather than a short circuit)

I guess the acid test would be if it worked if I had an aux in lead for the MDI......as its a fault with the MDI on VCDS it does sound if any real problem is down stream of the MDI, most probably in the connector at the back of the Bolero.

Will post if I get a final (fault code free) solution.

Edited by juan27

One thing I have seen a couple of times on the MDI is that whilst listening to a track on my HD if I go to "selection" all I see where the track listing should be are blank entries and similar as I go back up through the folder hierarchy. If I swap to SD and then back again to Media In it seems to sort itself out.

Anyone seen anything like this?

Chris,

Coding the CAN gateway certainly seems to have worked for me, although I still have a fault code. Can I ask how you got on with fitting the piggy back kufatec lead as I found it an extremely tight job to fit it anywhere around the back of the bolero? I will probably need to take it off again to check it and if there's an easy way to refit it may save me much swearing and scraping of the hands! I'm particularly interested in your experience as you bought the same kit as me.

Juan

Hi Juan, sorry little slow getting back been silly busy at work....

I saw the guy a few days ago and he spoke to someone who works for VW and then someone who works for Skoda and they both said you don't have to do any coding ect... you just plug it in and it works. Now from what you have found out that is not the case.

What and how exactly did you Code the CAN Gateway?

Also i'm plannnig on getting a handsfree kit fitted in the next few weeks, prob just goto Halfords for it, does anybody know if i will have the same issues with the phone kit as i/we are with the MDI? (prob going to get a Parrot kit fitted)

As for the fitting of the piggy back lead, i popped the center vent unit out and tooked the cable down the side if the head unit, still a bit fiddly but much easier, the MDI is behind the glovebox.

Cheers,

Chris

What and how exactly did you Code the CAN Gateway?

From memory:

First thing to do is check controller 2E -Media Player 3 is present. If so the car has recognised the MDI unit.

Assuming this is all present and correct:

I opened controller 19 Can Gateway and went into coding (07) and used the Long Coding Helper to set the coding for Media Player installed.

But I think you can also do it more easily (as I later discovered) by taking the "Installation List" button within the controller 19 options and just checking the box for 2E -Media Player 3.

That is pretty much what the VW instructions I posted earlier said to do.

If after coding (and the Media In button has appeared) your I-pod still doesn't work I would try a USB stick. If that works not sure what you can do to get the I-pod working..

Edited by juan27

I saw the guy a few days ago and he spoke to someone who works for VW and then someone who works for Skoda and they both said you don't have to do any coding ect... you just plug it in and it works. Now from what you have found out that is not the case.

Yes as I said before there is at least one Octavia that definitely needed coding.

Maybe its the "D" revision? (as in 5N0 035 342D part number) of the MDI?

Thinking about it though it seems more likely its the Bolero software version as its the Bolero that doesn't recognize the MDI and show the "media-in" button even though the Canbus can see the MDI on a scan.

My advice to anyone considering this retrofit is don't expect it to work without coding. If it does, bonus - but don't count on it.

Those official VW instructions I posted say you have to code it, and when I followed them it started working.

If nothing else plugging in VCDS and scanning will show if the unit is "seen" by the car.

Edited by juan27

Jonesy,

Just been reading through the thread and as I see from your earlier post that your car has a factory AUX-In I'd be very interested if when you get your MDI coded and working if you get the same fault code as I did (see earlier post).

As everything seems to be working for me now I'm reluctant to take it all apart looking for a phantom bad connection if the fault code is "normal"

Juan

Jonesy,

Just been reading through the thread and as I see from your earlier post that your car has a factory AUX-In I'd be very interested if when you get your MDI coded and working if you get the same fault code as I did (see earlier post).

As everything seems to be working for me now I'm reluctant to take it all apart looking for a phantom bad connection if the fault code is "normal"

Juan

Hi Juan,

Finally found the time to see the fellow with the programming gear, told him what you said about coding it and in 10 seconds sorted! well cuffed!

So the conclusion is as you say don't presume that anyone fitting MDI in the future will just be able to plug and play, coding may well be needed!

As for errors that you mentioned, when i plug the iphone 4 in i get a compatibility message on the phone which i either ignore or dismiss, other than that all seems good.

Car is getting a Parrot unit fitted next week, just hope i don't run into the same problems!

Cheers for all your help Juan...

Chris

Edited by jonesy365

Hi Juan,

Finally found the time to see the fellow with the programming gear, told him what you said about coding it and in 10 seconds sorted! well cuffed!

So the conclusion is as you say don't presume that anyone fitting MDI in the future will just be able to plug and play, coding may well be needed!

As for errors that you mentioned, when i plug the iphone 4 in i get a compatibility message on the phone which i either ignore or dismiss, other than that all seems good.

Car is getting a Parrot unit fitted next week, just hope i don't run into the same problems!

Cheers for all your help Juan...

Chris

Glad you got it working and good luck with the Parrot.

I'm curious as to why you are having a Parrot kit fitted when you can just buy a factory phone module off ebay and have it integrated into the vehcle properly? I've had a fair amount of experience with Parrot, Nokia, Motorola etc kits and none of them works as well as the VAG option.

I'd reconsider if I were you and investigate a little more.

Glad you're sorted. As with the retro-fitment of any item, it's always possible that the coding will have to be altered, so that the car's aware of it.

As for the Parrot choice, I can see why - based on the cost of both options. Whichever way you cut it, the cost of the Bluetooth module is still a fair chunk of money, for what it is.

As for the Parrot choice, I can see why - based on the cost of both options. Whichever way you cut it, the cost of the Bluetooth module is still a fair chunk of money, for what it is.

Er no it's not - I paid £100 for mine off ebay!

Then that's a bargain. But then you could be lucky and pick a Parrot kit up for less on eBay :)

If you can point me to another setup for that price, I'll probably buy one as well.

The point I'm making is that if you're comparing the retail cost of each system, there's a bit of a difference....