Clean Fabia + new SLR camera = arty photos

I got a Canon EOS 500D with the kit lens off the official Canon refurb store on ebay for £360 which I didn't think was too bad! I've always wanted one since my mate at school had a 300D (back in the day when they first came out). It's basically brand new, can't see any signs of use - it just came in a slightly bruised box.

I got a Canon EOS 500D with the kit lens off the official Canon refurb store on ebay for £360 which I didn't think was too bad! I've always wanted one since my mate at school had a 300D (back in the day when they first came out). It's basically brand new, can't see any signs of use - it just came in a slightly bruised box.

Great starter camera mate! Im quiet big in to photography to, and your not far from me being near the beutiful place of matlock. The best way I think you can learn is good old trial and error. Am certainly not a master but I do love taking photos. Worth investing in a good stable tripod to, and because I love them to a good filter to can really jazz up pictures. There is also some great books and youtube vids as well! :yes:

My weapon of choice Pentax K-X :p "My baby!"

Cool stuff.

Circular Polariser filters are good for car photography, and maybe worth investing in.

In direct sunlight you can get some nasty glares and over exposed highlights, a CPF can control these and take the edge of them.

I have already got a tripod that I used to use with a compact, but I do need to invest in some filters. Should I just get a circular polariser or is there anything else I should be looking out for? I've seen UV ones but heard they do nothing on digital except protect the lens (which might still be worthwhile!).

Nice pics buddy. Have a look at the 50mm f1.8 lens - cheap to buy and cheap build quality wise but good optics..

Haha, about 3 other people have told me that too already! It looks good for portraits so yeh, I think I will look at one of those when I have a few more pennies.

Right now just stick with the polariser.

UVs aren't worth it really. You'd have to invest in a decent one to not effect clarity, and at that pricepoint it doesn't really make them worth it. Unless you really really want to protect that front element.

The 50mm f/1.8 is ok, definitely gets the job done for under £100!

Lens hoods cut out a certain amount of unwanted light that cause flaring and hazing, always good when shooting in sunlight or with bright artificial light.

Not sure what's available for the 18-55mm kit lens, I'm sure eBay offer a plethora of options though.

Your also lucky that you have gone for cannon as well buddy there is so many 3rd market lens companys that make some great lenses! As most people will tell you investing the time in diffrent glass can certainly improve your skills no end. As well as getting you more creative! Take your time and take as many pictures as you can. You will also find that some of the best shots are when you least expect them....usually when you dont have you blooming camera to hand :rofl:

Your also lucky that you have gone for cannon as well buddy there is so many 3rd market lens companys that make some great lenses! As most people will tell you investing the time in diffrent glass can certainly improve your skills no end. As well as getting you more creative! Take your time and take as many pictures as you can. You will also find that some of the best shots are when you least expect them....usually when you dont have you blooming camera to hand :rofl:

Cool yes, will see how I get on. I've ordered a polarising filter (after advice from here) and I'm planning on getting that 50mm f1.8 lens when I have some spare cash. Grr, this is just what I need. Another money pit to help take every penny I earn (as well as the car, and the missus!!) Hahaha

Cool yes, will see how I get on. I've ordered a polarising filter (after advice from here) and I'm planning on getting that 50mm f1.8 lens when I have some spare cash. Grr, this is just what I need. Another money pit to help take every penny I earn (as well as the car, and the missus!!) Hahaha

Haha, yeh you have no idea what you've gotten yourself into!

All my money goes into my camera gear. And what's left goes on my car!

The mark 1 of that lens is actually better. The focus ring is middle barrelled as on every other lens (on the mark II it's weirdly placed on the front which interferes with filters). And it also has focus distance measurements.

They don't sell them anymore but you can find them on eBay once in a while.