Use of trolley jack

Breckie

Yes well I CAN use a trolley jack. :p

A query however on its use on the Yeti. I would normally use the jack on the floor just aft of the front wheel. The "floor" here however has a plastic cover over it. Investigation appears to show that this isn't actually on the floor itself but is about 1/4 inch or so below the floor.

Tentative jacking with a pad to spread the load appears to indicate that it will be OK to use the jack here. I don't want to break anything though & would appreciate any thoughts or advice from anyone who has used a trolley jack on the beastie. E.g. to change tyres.

Yes well I CAN use a trolley jack. :p

A query however on its use on the Yeti. I would normally use the jack on the floor just aft of the front wheel. The "floor" here however has a plastic cover over it. Investigation appears to show that this isn't actually on the floor itself but is about 1/4 inch or so below the floor.

Tentative jacking with a pad to spread the load appears to indicate that it will be OK to use the jack here. I don't want to break anything though & would appreciate any thoughts or advice from anyone who has used a trolley jack on the beastie. E.g. to change tyres.

Under the lower suspension arm on the inside of the wheel with a little clearance to allow it all to work - ie with a trolley jack although a trad bottle jack should work in the same position!

The only official jacking point is on the hanging seam of the sill, theres an arrow on the underside or the black sill cover indicating the correct section to use at the front and rear. See the wheel guide;

My link

I use a ice hockey puck (about £3 from fleebay) as a jack pad to protect the sill from the jack. You must also avoid jacking on the suspension beams, there's usually a warning label on one of the rear beams to this effect (if the dealer remembered to fit it on PDI).

Regards,

TP

Ta both, If I understand you correctly plumber the actual jacking point is on the seam of the sill!! That's after looking at your link & nipping out to have a look myself.

Am I correct? If so it seems a bit odd as I would have thought that a flat portion of the floor would be better & would spread the load. Any idea though if I could use the jack on that false floor?

Is the suspension strong enough at the front if the rear is seemingly highly suspect?

By the way.....what sticker. :(

Ta both, If I understand you correctly plumber the actual jacking point is on the seam of the sill!! That's after looking at your link & nipping out to have a look myself.

Am I correct? If so it seems a bit odd as I would have thought that a flat portion of the floor would be better & would spread the load. Any idea though if I could use the jack on that false floor?

Is the suspension strong enough at the front if the rear is seemingly highly suspect?

By the way.....what sticker. :(

Yes the jacking point is the seam of the sill just aft of the front wheels or fore of the rear wheels - if you had the Skoda scissor jack you would see the 'V' groove cut into the lifting point specifically to fit around the sill. DO NOT jack on a flat floor surface as you may buckle that part of the floor up, no need anyway given that you have official jacking points as mentioned. Likewise why even consider loading any of your suspension components? You should have a whopping great sticker on one of the rear axles beams which says "No jacking or tie down on this rear axle beam" - you have been warned!

Yes the jacking point is the seam of the sill just aft of the front wheels or fore of the rear wheels - if you had the Skoda scissor jack you would see the 'V' groove cut into the lifting point specifically to fit around the sill. DO NOT jack on a flat floor surface as you may buckle that part of the floor up, no need anyway given that you have official jacking points as mentioned. Likewise why even consider loading any of your suspension components? You should have a whopping great sticker on one of the rear axles beams which says "No jacking or tie down on this rear axle beam" - you have been warned!

Point taken, however with the wheel off, would you get under the car supported by only the scissor jack??

Where would you put the axle stands then?

however with the wheel off, would you get under the car supported by only the scissor jack??

Got to agree with that comment Frenchtone. My sentiment would be that there's no way that I'd be under the car with only a scissor jack. That's purely for emergencies. :yes:

Can't in all honesty see that there should be a problem with a trolley jack. If the floor is so thin that you can buckle it with a trolley jack then it's the first car I've ever jacked that's so. (I always use something to spread the load)

The winter wheels/tyres will have to go on in the fairly near future & I certainly won't be changing them with a wobbly scissors jack. I've never done that with any car as safety has to be a priority. So a trolley jack it is................if only I could find out definitively where to jack it !! :x:swear:

Got to agree with that comment Frenchtone. My sentiment would be that there's no way that I'd be under the car with only a scissor jack. That's purely for emergencies. :yes:

Can't in all honesty see that there should be a problem with a trolley jack. If the floor is so thin that you can buckle it with a trolley jack then it's the first car I've ever jacked that's so. (I always use something to spread the load)

The winter wheels/tyres will have to go on in the fairly near future & I certainly won't be changing them with a wobbly scissors jack. I've never done that with any car as safety has to be a priority. So a trolley jack it is................if only I could find out definitively where to jack it !! :x:swear:

I jacked mine up earlier this year just where TP said to do it - where the v marks are on the sills. No problem.

I have always used axle stands where for example the suspension bushes are mounted to the body.

Just treated myself to a fine, bright orange, hockey puck from Ebay. £1 plus £1 p&p http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350486037098&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:GB:1123

Made of vulcanized rubber, apparently. Presumably hard enough to have the sharp seam sit on it without splitting or squashing it?

Another vote for trolley jacks here.

................if only I could find out definitively where to jack it !! :x:swear:

Sorry, but you have been told exactly where to jack up from, the spot marked with an arrow on the seams just inside of each wheel. This is the same as it says in the handbook. Anywhere else risks damage to the vehicle.

Jacking on a seam is very common as it forms a strong point on the body, and oftem has hidden strengtheners inside.

Stan, it's worth cutting a small slot in the top to aid locating it, and stopping it slipping out. (Uww Matron!!)

Point taken, however with the wheel off, would you get under the car supported by only the scissor jack??

NEVER get under the vehicle when supported only by a jack - any jack.

John

Sorry if I confused although I'm not sure how you have read into my comment that you should get under the car with just a scissor jack (or any jack), of course you shouldn't! (Under a car to change a wheel?) My point wasn't that you should buy or use a scissor jack but that if your saw the scissor jack you would see the cut out that fits the sill supporting point - hence confirming that this is the load area for jacking. I too will be using a trolley with puck and a 'V' cutout to go around the sill.

I'm not clear why having been told and shown where the official jacking points are that you still do not feel that you have a definitive answer, it's your car and if you want to jack it up in some other area other than the official jacking points then that's prerogative.

No I wouldn't get under the car supported by only a jack, any jack. Did I say that? :no: Brekkie is talking about changing a wheel.

There are supporting cross members for Axle stands but you'll have to remove the soundproofing or RRP to get to them. If you want to use supports under your suspension components then that's your perogative.

I refuse to use any jack supplied from the VW parts bin after a Touran one collapsed on me trapping my spare wheel under the car, and putting a rather large dent on the sill.

The base on which it jacks from is just too small when it gets to it's higher lifting point where the wheel can be removed from the hub.

Trolley jack 2 1/2 ton with high lift is my preferred garage tool. I also have a small bottle jack. One very good jack is a scissor version I kept from a transit van ! Huge lift and a very wide base. All three get used for something or other, bikes/cars etc. at home.

Out on the road Gunk will do, and a mobile phone :yes:

Thanks folks. Not doubting anyone but in that position (under a car with my head about to be crushed :doh: ) it's always useful ye ken to mak siccar. :smirk:

Ok now caught up with the posts!

Tell me, when getting new tyres do you all take the rims etc off, visit the tyre bay for fitting etc return and refit using the manual rec/d method, or do you all, as I do, drive to the bay and let them get on with it, trusting their experience or do you get 'em to jack the car at the recommended spots?

Just curious!!

Ok now caught up with the posts!

Tell me, when getting new tyres do you all take the rims etc off, visit the tyre bay for fitting etc return and refit using the manual rec/d method, or do you all, as I do, drive to the bay and let them get on with it, trusting their experience or do you get 'em to jack the car at the recommended spots?

Just curious!!

With a spare set of wheels floating around in the garage, then yes I do take loose wheels down, it gives me a chance to clean off all the brakes etc. that you wouldn't be allowed to do in a tyre fitting bay.

One thing I have seen this week caught my eye, I went into my local Skoda dealership and they had some cards on display stating they would beat any local tyre fitting quote for replacement tyres ! If anyone should know where to jack up our cars or use post ramps on them they should, so I might just give them a whirl if need be :thumbup:

I do as I've always done with all my cars..........past & present. :nerd:

Jack up car. Take off one wheel/tyre at a time. Fit new wheel/tyre. Once all are off I check all the "old" tyres. Clean the wheels & then park everything away in a proper tyre rack. :clap:

As regards present Yeti I've got a set of winter wheels/tyres which will probably be going on about the end of October.

I do as I've always done with all my cars..........past & present. :nerd:

Jack up car. Take off one wheel/tyre at a time. Fit new wheel/tyre. Once all are off I check all the "old" tyres. Clean the wheels & then park everything away in a proper tyre rack. :clap:

As regards present Yeti I've got a set of winter wheels/tyres which will probably be going on about the end of October.

But where do you jack!

what about all those with only one set of tyres ie those on the car - remove singly,walk it to the tyre bay ie 4 journeys :rofl:

This is getting silly, we go and trust the tyre fitters! - I did, and on one occaision the nuts had only been finger started not fully tightened, the front n/s wheel dropped off about 20 yds up the road, it cost the tyre co. dear as it was on a Porsche 944!!

Just treated myself to a fine, bright orange, hockey puck from Ebay. £1 plus £1 p&p http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350486037098&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:GB:1123

Made of vulcanized rubber, apparently. Presumably hard enough to have the sharp seam sit on it without splitting or squashing it?

Another vote for trolley jacks here.

Puck Update

Don't buy it!

It weighs 2 oz's and feels hollow and doesnn't feel capable of taking the weight. Apparently a proper puck weighs about 6 oz's and is harder and more solid. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

But where do you jack!
..........As the Yeti is new to me that's pretty much the whole point of my thread. :) As far as I can gather from the replies it's on the seam. Oldstan has just pointed out though that the puck isn't of any use on said seam. :no: :no: :no:
I have no idea, maybe under the front bumper? Perhaps the sump? Suspension component?
......Good thinking GJay...........Let me know how it goes. :evil:

..........As the Yeti is new to me that's pretty much the whole point of my thread. :) As far as I can gather from the replies it's on the seam. Oldstan has just pointed out though that the puck isn't of any use on said seam. :no: :no: :no:

......Good thinking GJay...........Let me know how it goes. :evil:

Will do! :rofl: