is insurance needed on a vehicle?

jaxx007

I ask this because my current insurance on my fabia is up on the 24th September and I'll be giving it back to collect my new car on the 29th September. Myself and my wife are both insured fully comp on her car and it covers us both to drive any other vehicle. Can we both drive the fabia on her insurance or does the fabia itself need it's own insurance policy?

I ask this because my current insurance on my fabia is up on the 24th September and I'll be giving it back to collect my new car on the 29th September. Myself and my wife are both insured fully comp on her car and it covers us both to drive any other vehicle. Can we both drive the fabia on her insurance or does the fabia itself need it's own insurance policy?

As long as the vehicle you are driving is to the same capacity should be fine , however check the insurance to make sure fully comprehensive usually allows but not all insurance will have this in the small print ;)

Just renew on your current car and ask the insurance to swap the policy to cover your new car.

I collected our Fabia on a Tuesday and my insurer stated that I could drive the VW I traded in and the Fabia for a 24 hour overlap HOWEVER I got half way to the dealership and was stopped by a Police man who claimed I wasn't insured to drive the VW as his onboard computer showed I was insured to drive a Fabia, after a long winded conversation and telephone call to my insurer it was the case my insurance did overlap but the police man wasn't overly convinced and followed me to the dealers!

Any discrepancy then you run the risk of being fined, points on your licence and your car crushed, I would just insure it mate.

What you are asking is can you drive your Fabia for 5 days on your wife's insurance.

I doubt it for several reasons!

Are you sure you can both drive other vehicles on your wife's policy? Are you sure it doesn't have her as the policy holder with you as a named driver - the "any car" facility only applies to the policy holder. If that is the case then she could drive the Fabia while you drive her car

BUT!

The other car cannot be owned by you or hired to you - being registered at the same address as the policy you were driving on it would be difficult to claim you no longer owned it.

Even if you don't own it, the car you are driving under the "any car" facility has to be covered by a valid insurance policy.

Reason for these conditions is obvious - you could have one car in the family insured for all family members and then each has their own car that they drive on the one policy - it wouldn't happen!

Why not just talk to your insurance company and ask them for a week's extension on your cover.

Thank you for the responses everyone, my wife and I are both with the same insurer but as just posted if it was legal it would be only my wife win could drive the fabia. But as this would be illegal due to no cover itself for the fabia we won't be doing that. I'll call my insurer for co extension quote and if need be I'll take out a new policy and switch it to the new vehicle. I was hoping to avoid this cos it means doing quotes for 2 vehicles to find the cheapest quote, but hey Ho. I did a few temp 7 day cover quotes and best I found was £187 so sacked that idea off lol. Thank you for the clarification everyone. :-)

I thought that Skoda Insurance provided complimentary cover for 5/7 days (can't remember which) when purchasing a new Skoda or have they stopped that? I understood they introduced that to stop all the hassle over initial registration with Swansea because they now want to see insirance cover from Day 1 being in place before they will reguster the vehicle.

In our case my wife was the purchaser but I was added as an additional driver following a quick call to Skoda Customer Services. We then inusred the new Fabia at our leisure.

I thought that Skoda Insurance provided complimentary cover for 5/7 days (can't remember which) when purchasing a new Skoda or have they stopped that? I understood they introduced that to cut out all the hassle over initial registration with Swansea because they now want to see insurance cover from Day 1 being in place before they will register the vehicle.

In our case my wife was the purchaser but I was added as an additional driver following a quick call to Skoda Customer Services. We then insured the new Fabia at our leisure.

They still do but the car I'm giving back will run out of insurance 5 days prior so I was asking about using my wife's insurance but I know now that this is illegal. The new car will have complimentary 7 days insurance but I will have to insure my current car for 5 days them switch the policy to the new car.

They still do but the car I'm giving back will run out of insurance 5 days prior so I was asking about using my wife's insurance but I know now that this is illegal. The new car will have complimentary 7 days insurance but I will have to insure my current car for 5 days them switch the policy to the new car.

Apologies, the difference in cut off dates eluded me.

If you are stuck remember there are insurance companies who will provide short term temp cover if required. I insured one of my children to drive my Octavia 2.0 Estate for a week which only cost about £10 per day fully comp with a minimal excess despite them only being aged 27. Avivia was the underwriter and it was totally a web based service so I arranged it with about 30 minutes notice.

Edited by Minimoke

I had a similar case. My old car had it's policy run out. I brought my new car and was selling my old one privately. However even if the car is just on your drive, if the insurance runs out then the car has to be declared of the road. The DVLA will fine you £80 otherwise. A 7 day extension cost me £10. :)

I was told by my old insurer they don't do short term cover or extensions. Cheapest week long cover I could find was £170 ish so balls to that. I'll transfer the policy to my new car on Thursday after I collect it. :-) elephant did advise me to renew their policy, them cancel within 14 days and the charge would only be £22.50. Asked about other charges, the guy said there aren't any. Checked their t&c's and you get charged the 22.50 plus any time the policy was used for on a short term insurance calculation. I.E, probably £100 plus for 5 days. Needless to say I told them to sod off and renewed elsewhere for much less. :-)

I wouldn't expect to pay anything for a week's cover. There's plenty of companies offering driveaway insurance with a week's cover. I had it on my last purchase - you just have to endure a phone call 'asking' you to take out the full policy when that week is up, which I politely declined.

btw, the amusing difference between the advice given in posts 2 and 3 of this thread made me chuckle. I know who I believe though...