Will you be switching to Winter tyres this year?

Allams Skoda

Cold Weather Tyres  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be using Winter Tyres this year?

• Yes - I'll be changing my wheels and tyres
    • Yes - I'll be changing my tyres but keeping the standard wheels
    • No - (Never used Winter tyres before)
    • No - (Used Winter tyres before)

Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons fitted today to the standard alloys; 225/50 x 17. Went for a quick 20 miles across the moors to see if I could notice any difference in today's conditions (12 degrees and dry). No change to ride comfort apparent. They feel a little more 'floaty' around long fast corners ... not sure I'd want to push them as hard as the OE Dunlops ... but otherwise fine. OK, I'm ready - bring on winter! :p

Hi Bobdog

having had my all seasons a few months now i have been playing with the pressures, mainly because the fronts looked soft, and have found the best pressures for me is fronts 2.3 bar rears 2.0 bar very rarely have any weight in the back. Have found them as good or better than the Dunlops, they are good for shifting standing water, just need a bit of snow now to test them out

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Bobdog

having had my all seasons a few months now i have been playing with the pressures, mainly because the fronts looked soft, and have found the best pressures for me is fronts 2.3 bar rears 2.0 bar very rarely have any weight in the back. Have found them as good or better than the Dunlops, they are good for shifting standing water, just need a bit of snow now to test them out

Thanks for that Kevin, I'll have a play. Like you there's not much in the back most of the time, though I'll be pretty loaded up when I head to the Alps!

Hi Bobdog

Is that the recommendation for these types of tyres? I have had my All Seasons fitted today and I was going to run them at the same pressure as my standard Dunlops, 32 front and back.

Is that the recommendation for these types of tyres? I have had my All Seasons fitted today and I was going to run them at the same pressure as my standard Dunlops, 32 front and back.

Had mine since Monday, and I've got about 300 miles in. Still feel a little 'squidgier' than the Dunlops, but I've adapted and got used to it - no problem. Popped back into the independent tyre dealer who fitted them for me today, to ask about running them at higher pressures. He's a old boy of very few words, and most of the ones he used in response to this question are unprintable in a family forum ... but "no" was the gist of it - run them at the same pressure as recommended for summers.

On another note; it had been suggested that they might be a bit noisier. Can't say I've noticed it, and was blatting along the motorway at a fair rate of knots yesterday.

Just acquired some ex-PassatB6 7J x R16 Catalunya refurbished alloys from Ebay for £200 for my Yeti 4 x 4 to replace the 17" standard alloys fitted with Dunlop Sports which I will now only use as summer tyres.

Got hold of some Dunlop Wintersport 4Ds 215/60 x 16 from Performance Alloys @£125 each which will be fitted to the Catalunyas. Most other suppliers seem to have sold out of any decent winter tyres. Have ordered some VW 65mm centre wheel caps off Ebay which fit the Catalunyas I will cover the VW logo with some quality (I hope!) Skoda stickes also off Ebay. Already the ride of the 16" 60 profile tyres feels better than the 17" 50 profiles which surprised me - now ready for the wet and the snow!

In my search I came acrose the following unofficial data chart of VW Passat 16" 5 x 112 alloys (many of which also fit Audi/Skoda/Seats) which usefully gives specs, part numbers of the alloys and wheel caps as well as photos. The chart is NOT official and is not exhaustive but I found it usfel when looking at alloys for sale on Ebay many of which are posted for sale without the seller providing any proper specs or part numbers with only a terse statement that they "came off" a VW or an Audi or similar which is of no use to a buyer.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/wheels/16-vw-wheel-gallery-5x112.htm

Hi

if you look at the pressure limits given on the fuel filler flap the range is 2.2-2.4 bar, 2.4 bar is the upper limit for 5 up but as the engine is the main load on the front wheels it made the all seasons look soft,so I increased the pressure a little and found the tyres looked better and handled better, but its all down to personal preferences really

Had mine since Monday, and I've got about 300 miles in. Still feel a little 'squidgier' than the Dunlops, but I've adapted and got used to it - no problem. Popped back into the independent tyre dealer who fitted them for me today, to ask about running them at higher pressures. He's a old boy of very few words, and most of the ones he used in response to this question are unprintable in a family forum ... but "no" was the gist of it - run them at the same pressure as recommended for summers.

On another note; it had been suggested that they might be a bit noisier. Can't say I've noticed it, and was blatting along the motorway at a fair rate of knots yesterday.

My tyre bloke is exactly the same, maybe it is in their training. I drove home on my new tyres for the first time last night and the ride was so much smoother and quieter, to the extent where I went over the limit on a few occasions as the noise levels were so reduced. To balance that however it must be said that going from tyres with 3-4mm tread to new 8mm tread is bound to make a difference. It is like driving your car after a service.

I m going to go with the Nokian All Weather Plus in 225/40/18. Thinking is that I am not an early morning rural commuter so hopefully these should deal with a southern UK urban winter and any long (prob to French Alps) drives I might undertake (currently none planned, but will have to carry Autosocks as well anyway). On a 4x4 estate.

Web link here:

http://www.nokiantyr...All+Weather+%2B

If i did higher miles and lived up hill I might go more full on. I did want to get the Vredstein Quadrac 3 but couldn't see them in my size - then I did (despite Vred website saying not correct!!) but only after I had ordered them!!

Going for Goodyear Vector 4Seasons on the Touran as well.

My new wheels with Nokian WR A3's are sitting in their shrink wrap, just waiting for a day off so I can fit them.

I'm new to the idea of changing my wheels & tyres for winter so this will be a learning curve for me, I only hope that my hard earned cash hasn't been wasted.

My new wheels with Nokian WR A3's are sitting in their shrink wrap, just waiting for a day off so I can fit them.

I'm new to the idea of changing my wheels & tyres for winter so this will be a learning curve for me, I only hope that my hard earned cash hasn't been wasted.

steering and stopping performace in cold and wet will be transformed, so your cash will not have been wasted.

steering and stopping performace in cold and wet will be transformed, so your cash will not have been wasted.

+1

If they are as good as the Nokian WR G2's then you WILL NOT be disappointed :thumbup: