Really am sick with Monte now

Vrs2

As I have said in many posts now my Monte Carlo 105 TSI fuel economy is p**s poor and today I have confirmed it. Today I took my car to my local dealer for them to see why it's so bad. On the way in I did another Eco drive some 20 miles never going above 70 mph with no traffic and only 2 sets of traffic lights, I achieved a mere 41.3 mpg not bad as I normally average 36 mpg over a week with gentle driving on A and B roads and with very little town driving.

I was lent an Octavia 1.6 MPI Estate that has a combinded cycle of 38.4 MPG and my Monte 53.3 MPG so thought this will be really bad, but I was mistaken as I achieved 46.3 mpg on the way home with slightly harder driving and more traffic. Later today I went back to my dealer the same way I went in this morning in my Monte and drove in the same Eco manner and guess what I achieved an impressive 48.6 mpg all from a car that is some 400 kg heavier and supposed to do 38.4 mpg.

My dealer has updated my ECU and checked the rear brakes as one was getting slightly hot and might of been binding but this has had no affect to my mpg as I achieved 37.6 mpg on the way home.

I have really have lost the will to live now and I am either going to sell it and buy a Focus or just rev the nuts of it in order to try and free up the engine that has now done 6800 miles and not run in by me, or I could just hope I might blow it up if I keep revving the **** out of it and then skoda can replace the engine under warranty.

Edited by Vrs2

As I have said in many posts now my Monte Carlo 105 TSI fuel economy is p**s poor and today I have confirmed it. Today I took my car to my local dealer for them to see why it's so bad. On the way in I did another Eco drive some 20 miles never going above 70 mph with no traffic and only 2 sets of traffic lights, I achieved a mere 41.3 mpg not bad as I normally average 36 mpg over a week with gentle

driving on A and B roads and with very little town driving.

I was lent an Octavia 1.6 MPI Estate that has a combinded cycle of 38.4 MPG and my Monte 53.3 MPG so thought this will be really bad, but I was mistaken as I achieved

46.3 mpg on the way home with slightly harder driving and more traffic. Later today I went back to my dealer the same way I went in this morning in my Monte and drove in the same Eco manner and guess what I achieved an impressive 48.6 mpg all from a car that is some 400 kg heavier and supposed to do 38.4 mpg.

My dealer has updated my ECU and checked the rear brakes as one was getting slightly hot and might of been binding but this has had no affect to my mpg as I achieved 37.6 mpg on the way home

I have really have lost the will to live now and I am either going to sell it and buy a Focus or just rev the nuts of it in order to try and free up the engine that has now done 6800 miles and not run in by me, or I could just hope I

might blow it up if I keep revving the **** out of it and then skoda can replace the engine under warranty.

I think after nearly 7k I would be slightly disappointed with the economy, however it's a small engine although a cracker, I must say though skoda quite pessimistic with the figures, that's why I went for the 1.6 crtdi 105bhp simply because I prefer diesel and I get on average 60mpg with plenty of grunt, not as fast or power delivery but should keep it's value far better than a petrol , just put a small wedge under the first pedal ;)

To be honest, an engine 3 miles old as long as its up to operating temperature should cope with sensible revving just fine. By sensible, I mean not slamming the tach round to 9 grand and holding it there till the fuel tank empties.

My VRS is put through its paces every time I drive it once the oil is over 90.

Hi Vr2 sorry to hear about your bad fuel consumption not getting any better.

I know we live in the same area I'm getting 38 to 45 mpg depending how many times a week I blast up Telegrath hill. Still can't believe how quick It can travel up there. :rofl:

I think you'd be best to use tesco 99 or equivalent for the next 3 or 4 fill ups for the ECU to work optimality again. Hope It gets better for you :(

Edited by skodakev

It needs some higher revs from time to time.

Some spirited driving every week should do the trick.

Phil

Thanks for the replies and yes I am going to start to drive it like I stole it, as I have all my cars until I brought this one. My 2 previous Octavia VRSs one petrol and the other diesel were both great on fuel and even the petrol was better than the Monte considering I drove it very hard and still averaged between 33/35 mpg. So from now on I am going to rag it and if that doesn't work I will get shot of it and go back to something with a bigger engine and more power again.

'

Admittedly my Monte 105TSi only has <400miles on her, and still on it's first tank of Tesco Momentum, but I actually struggle to get below 40mpg on a journey?!

To and from work is about 16miles. Out of the village, NSL ring road inclined for a couple of miles, 50mph/30mph country A-road through villages, bit of stop start traffic through one town on the way. So far I've been at 47-49mpg for the journey every day of ownership. Even went for a spirited 55mile drive round some local lanes and came back with 40.1mpg. I'm not sending it over 4000rpm yet, but with smooth acceleration she gets a decent pace on pretty effortlessly and the chassis let's you carry good speed through corners and junctions which helps economy. I know a few people have raised economy concerns but I struggle to see how it can be so given how mine is going so far

I've got a 160mile motorway journey next week to see how she is at a constant 70mph, but thus far, I think it's a cracking engine and couldn't be happier with the thrills:economy ratio. Hope the OP finds some solution to allow them to enjoy their Monte as much as I am mine!

Smithy

Hi Vr2 sorry to hear about your bad fuel consumption not getting any better.

I know we live in the same area I'm getting 38 to 45 mpg depending how many times a week I blast up Telegrath hill. Still can't believe how quick It can travel up there. :rofl:

I think you'd be best to use tesco 99 or equivalent for the next 3 or 4 fill ups for the ECU to work optimality again. Hope It gets better for you :(

Hi skodakev I saw your lovely red Monte in SMC a couple weeks ago having your wipers done, hope they are working fine now. Do you drive your monte with a very light foot to acheive those figures?

Edited by Vrs2

Admittedly my Monte 105TSi only has <400miles on her, and still on it's first tank of Tesco Momentum, but I actually struggle to get below 40mpg on a journey?!

To and from work is about 16miles. Out of the village, NSL ring road inclined for a couple of miles, 50mph/30mph country A-road through villages, bit of stop start traffic through one town on the way. So far I've been at 47-49mpg for the journey every day of ownership. Even went for a spirited 55mile drive round some local lanes and came back with 40.1mpg. I'm not sending it over 4000rpm yet, but with smooth acceleration she gets a decent pace on pretty effortlessly and the chassis let's you carry good speed through corners and junctions which helps economy. I know a few people have raised economy concerns but I struggle to see how it can be so given how mine is going so far

I've got a 160mile motorway journey next week to see how she is at a constant 70mph, but thus far, I think it's a cracking engine and couldn't be happier with the thrills:economy ratio. Hope the OP finds some solution to allow them to enjoy their Monte as much as I am mine!

Smithy

Hi Smithy that's very interesting you are achieving great mpg considering you only have 400 mile on the clock, I would be very happy with those figures even when it's run in properly. Keep those revs up and it might get better still. Enjoy your car and it is a great car if the engine is running right that is.

Hi skodakev I saw your lovely red Monte in SMC a couple weeks ago having your wipers done, hope they are working fine now. Do you drive your monte with a very light foot to acheive those figures?

0 to 60 in 20 seconds. Never go above 60 mph :giggle: :giggle:

Yes that's our car.You don't realise how much you take your windscreen wipers for granted till they let you down.

I'm not racing it but drive it fairly hard up the hills but back off the throttle down the hills :D

This is another 'dissapointing mpg' thread.

After having the same issue when i bought a Fiat 500 Diesel, I just PX'd it for an Octy vRS diesel.

I was getting real world 51mpg from a remapped Fabia vRS MK1, doing the same journey, & driving as recommended to get max economy I actually got 60mpg( claimed 78mpg), but I hated driving like miss daisy, normal driving i was getting 48mpg real world from the Fiat.

Here's the rub, Fiat was a 1.3CR 75 BHP , my Octy still not run in or reached 1st service, 1.9CR 170BHP & i dont drive economically & am avereraging just under 43mpg ( as my Fuelley sig) .

I have come to the conclusion that you ignore what the manufacturers claim take the worst figure quoted & take around 10-12 mpg off that & thats what you will most likely get in reality.

In my thread here:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/210194-first-brim-to-brim-test/

My fuel test showed about 33mpg in my 1.2TSI 105bhp DSG, so your 36-41mpg is good. I do however a fair bit of city driving (albeit not London but a small provicial city so it isn't exactly 100% of crawl) and there is elements of 30/40/50mph driving in my weekly drive.

I put the poor consumption down to having to do a fair bit of foot to the floor driving to overcome the awful hesitation which means you put your foot down, drift into traffic then have to accelerate more to prevent holding up the person you have just pulled in front of (and no messages about driving style please - this is rush hour driving where gaps are small and to make progress you can't wait for a suitable long gap that take account of the hesitation when moving away).

I suspect when the turbo comes on it saps fuel. I think I read somewhere that fuel tests are carried out by manufacturers in such a way that for these small turbo engines, the turbo doesn't kick in much i.e. very slow acceleration. Great in a lab but in the real world do/can we drive like that.

So filled up again last night and that first full tank (Tesco Momentum) has come back as 42mpg, which I wouldn't consider to be too shabby! If I drove it sensibly all the time it would definetly be north of 45mpg, but a can't help but have a little blat about every now n then which is always gonna hurt economy. But if she carries on returning these sorts of figures I couldn't be happier!

Oh, and FYI the consumption figure on the MaxiDot was reset with the trip and was showing 40.1mpg. I don't know if it's reset itself in this time but suggests that the displayed figures might be a little down on calculated figures

Smithy

I think after nearly 7k I would be slightly disappointed with the economy, however it's a small engine although a cracker, I must say though skoda quite pessimistic with the figures, that's why I went for the 1.6 crtdi 105bhp simply because I prefer diesel and I get on average 60mpg with plenty of grunt, not as fast or power delivery but should keep it's value far better than a petrol , just put a small wedge under the first pedal ;)

My 86PS has avearaged 42mpg. Good thing is that this hardly drops if I decide to push on a bit. The big drop is the difference between cruising at an indicated 70 or 80.

My 86PS has avearaged 42mpg. Good thing is that this hardly drops if I decide to push on a bit. The big drop is the difference between cruising at an indicated 70 or 80.

42mpg :( but if your happy with that it all good, the 3 cylinder 70bhp 1.4tdi I've got if I'm careful will do over 70mpg at around 55/60 mph but once over those magic numbers tends to become a little thirsty, travellig home yesterday ( on private road ;) ) 80 ish mph in the crtdi 1.6 105 bhp I was getting 57 mpg so I can't complain ;)