Scratch Removal Help?

woodworm

My 2007 Octavia was keyed last night :( and now I need some advice on trying to remove the scratch.

The scratch is around 10 inches long and deep enough that you can feel it rough under your finger, though it doesn't look as though it's broken the paint which makes me think I should be able to 'buff it up' myself. A quick search of the forum suggests that Meguiars Scratch X may do the job?

If it makes any difference the car is Antracite in colour and the paintwork is tidy rather than perfect as I only wash the car, I'm not a detailer.

The other option is to get someone like chips away to do it, I believe there is someone local to me (North Wales) if anyone has ever used them?

I know this would be easier with pictures but I'm in work before it gets light so won't be able to post one up before tonight.

Advice, opinons and recommendations requested please :thumbup:

Thanks

My 2007 Octavia was keyed last night :( and now I need some advice on trying to remove the scratch.

The scratch is around 10 inches long and deep enough that you can feel it rough under your finger, though it doesn't look as though it's broken the paint which makes me think I should be able to 'buff it up' myself. A quick search of the forum suggests that Meguiars Scratch X may do the job?

If it makes any difference the car is Antracite in colour and the paintwork is tidy rather than perfect as I only wash the car, I'm not a detailer.

The other option is to get someone like chips away to do it, I believe there is someone local to me (North Wales) if anyone has ever used them?

I know this would be easier with pictures but I'm in work before it gets light so won't be able to post one up before tonight.

Thanks

if it's not too deep then I have found scratch x works pretty well. My son was "helping" me wash the car when he was about 3 and a half and he put a big scratch down the side with something and scratch x sorted it. Not tried with deliberate keying though

I find metallic T Cut is good as mine is flamenco red metallic. I have 4 doors ,2 rear quarters and my bonnet have been keyed up by some nice person and it stands out like a sore thumb on that colour. I will try T Cut first but I know the bonnet has a 12 inch scratch that needs a touch up as it's deep.

Thanks

I would suggest if you can feel it with your nail then you may struggle to remove it with the product you have suggested. It may well fill the mark but not remove it......... :|

If you have tried it and aren't happy with the results then it may be worth taking it to a local detailer to see what he makes of it, maybe some light wet sanding and machining will remove it but if it's too deep then a local body work repair may be required......... :|

If you want it perfect then a paint shop or smart repair would be needed.

I've had a few little marks from supermarkets and also a key scratch. I just touch up with a very small modellers brush and then rub down my bump of a paint line with fine wet and dry using water too. Finally I buff up with T-Cut. It does me as if you keep getting every scratch fully repaired it is a never ending job.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I only noticed a couple of these this morning.

I attempted a repair by applying clear coat to the scratch and very lightly wet sanded the area, this just seems to have given the area a 'smeared' look, though the scratch feels smoother.

Think my next stop will be to take it to someone that knows what they are doing as I don't think I've improved the situation!

Thanks for the advice though :thumbup:

I attempted a repair by applying clear coat to the scratch and very lightly wet sanded the area, this just seems to have given the area a 'smeared' look, though the scratch feels smoother.

This is exactly what I get when I use wet and dry, it does shine up again with T-Cut afterwards