Show us your winter wheels

There is a link to a fabulous website where if you put in your vehicle details it gives a list of all the other car makes and models whose alloy wheels would fit. I can't find the link! I know it is in one of the winter tyre threads. Anybody know where I mean?

Thanks again

This would be helpful if you can find it.Am contemplating winters now since the snow hit us today.

Yep - MyTyres steel wheel package. 16" steels and 205/55/16 91H's (H speed rating is only 130MPH but I'm never going to do that speed, let alone in winter conditions!).

Will try get a close up of the little hub caps in the next day or so - I'll be stuck in the office all day now until it gets dark! :( Worth mentioning with those Caddy caps, the hub nut cover protrudes ever so slightly through the steel wheel making it a bit of a pain to get the caps on the front. The rear ones clipped on OK but the front ones took a bit of bashing before they seated... they look more prone to 'ping' off though so I do fully expect to lose one or two over the coming months - will see how it goes.

Don't worry about losing one, I ran the same set up over 2 winters with no problems, in fact they are a pain to get off - especially with cold hands!

This would be helpful if you can find it.Am contemplating winters now since the snow hit us today.

You can fit wheels from the following VAG group cars;

VW - mk5 Golf, mk5 Jetta, mk6 Golf, mk6 Jetta, also Passat, Touran and Sharan (and possibly Tiguan) provided offset is OK

Audi - new shape A3, new shape TT, also A4 and A6 provided offset is OK

SEAT - new shape Leon, Altea, Toledo, also Alhambra provided offset is OK

SKODA - Octavia II (obviously!), also Superb and Yeti provided offset is OK

All these cars have a PCD of 5x112 and centre bore of 57.1mm. Anything in that fitting with an offset in the range ET35 to ET50 and width from 6J to 7J will be fine.

If you buy aftermarket wheels that have been fitted on any of these cars be careful as most aftermarket wheels need tapered bolts as opposed to the radiused bolts that OEM wheels use.

• Like 1

Is it this pinned thread at the top of the Tyres section?

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/217746-vag-group-steel-and-alloy-wheel-part-numbers-and-specs/

All these cars have a PCD of 5x112 and centre bore of 57.1mm. Anything in that fitting with an offset in the range ET35 to ET50 and width from 6J to 7J will be fine.

Be careful with some Audi wheels as they have started to use a 66.6mm centre bore, so spigot rings will be needed.

The A5 A8 and MKII Superb also use 5x112

FWIW my Goodyear winters are 18" and were £740 quid.

Yes I know it would have been cheaper to buy a set of 16" winters on steels lol..!

I bought 4 x 18 winter tyres last year (new btw) for £460 fitted.

No big brand name but did the job.

I'm with jackdoosh on this one.

Either "proper winters on correct wheels" or steelies.

To put small alloy wheels on a vrs just makes it look crap in my opinion of course!

Edited by taff170

I'm with jackdoosh on this one.

Either "proper winters on correct wheels" or steelies.

To put small alloy wheels on a vrs just makes it look crap in my opinion of course!

And steel wheels don't look crap I suppose?

No not if they are the same size as the originals(18's on vRS octy)

pre FL was 17" so 1 inch smaller for 16"'s makes very little difference lol

Sorry, going on my old FL!

It's the after market look alloys that bothers me to be honest.

They just don't look "right".

:sweat:

20121208_152148.jpg

Who cares what they look like. Winter wheels and tyres are supposed to be functional. I quite liked the 16" wheels on my old vRS anyway.

So are all the main fucntions of a car, doesn't stopping us paying more for a good looking one though!

• Like 1

Sorry Fubar!

It's just my opinion!

It doesn't matter what I think really though. Does it?

As long as you don't get stuck that's the main thing.

Unlike many I genuinely do not like the Neptunes as is lol I liked the Zeniths in 18" more.

They will get put to the test properly soon when the big snow comes :D This was just up the road from here on Friday slush was freezing and compacted snow on a major road. Had just left an autobahn where the going rate of speed was 60-70kph :( not bad for first few hours of snow this year.

20121207_154145.jpg

Hi All,

I've not seen it mentioned elsewhere in this thread, but for anyone heading for Germany in the winter, even visiting cars now have to have "M&S" marked tyres, apparently. Over there, most of the natives fit steel wheels for two practical aspects: discovering a kerb beneath the snow is possible, so people don't wince at the effect as much as if it happens to their alloys, and secondly, the police are more likely to want to inspect a car running on alloys in the winter, to see whether they have the correct tyres for the season.

For anyone wanting or needing the option to fit chains, you need to check whether the "ET" or Offset of the wheels, and the size of the tyres are suitable for your needs. Note the "ja" or "nein" references in the TUV document.

The MyTyres website does indicate whether a given wheel and tyre combination will allow chains to be used, but it could be easily overlooked while choosing from their range of alloy wheels and tyres.

Andy

Hi All,

I've not seen it mentioned elsewhere in this thread, but for anyone heading for Germany in the winter, even visiting cars now have to have "M&S" marked tyres, apparently. Over there, most of the natives fit steel wheels for two practical aspects: discovering a kerb beneath the snow is possible, so people don't wince at the effect as much as if it happens to their alloys, and secondly, the police are more likely to want to inspect a car running on alloys in the winter, to see whether they have the correct tyres for the season.

For anyone wanting or needing the option to fit chains, you need to check whether the "ET" or Offset of the wheels, and the size of the tyres are suitable for your needs. Note the "ja" or "nein" references in the TUV document.

The MyTyres website does indicate whether a given wheel and tyre combination will allow chains to be used, but it could be easily overlooked while choosing from their range of alloy wheels and tyres.

Andy

How do you knpw this? Here in Norway almost no cars are delivered new with steelies anymore... Its very rare to see newer cars with steel, and many cars have 17-18s wintertyres as standard. And thank God for that!

When I signed the papers for my car and asked what kind of wheels it would have, the salesman told me it had a set of OEM Škoda alloys and a set of steelies. "But you can upgrade the steelies to alloys for 100€". The only thought in my head was "why are you even asking me this?? :D" They had a default choice in stock which they offer to everyone who asks, apparently. I've already seen several FL Octavias around with the same wheels as I have.

So, OEM Škoda alloys in summer and (arguably better looking) aftermarket Etabeta Tettsut wheels for winter. I'd rather subject aftermarket alloys to road salt.

I'm not a fan of big wheels and wide rubber, especially not after suffering with the tramlining hell that was a 2004 Volvo V70 2.5T on standard 225/45R17 wheels. I'd like to go up from 15" to 16" though, altough I suspect I won't. I like the ride comfort too much. :)

So here's my car on Etabeta Tettsut with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7.

sidan.jpg

Edited by Perc
  • Like 2