Show us your winter wheels

Land of the polar bears... Just kidding, I live in Finland. :D

In an earlier life I worked for a machine tool company and Finland was one of the countries that I often visited - always seemed to visit in the winter.  I remember a road trip heading north from Helsinki in a Toyota Celica when the ice never melted off the inside of the windows.  Driving on studded tyres at over 50mph and was overtaken by a motorbike travelling considerably faster.

• Like 1

Ooh they are the same as my winter wheels, how did you de-Audi them?

I got hold of a set of centre caps from the 6 spoke Skoda Vega alloys fitted to the elegance spec octy.

IMG_20141123_125807_zpsajsikhet.jpg

I had to cut the lugs off the back to get them to sit flush. They are slightly larger than the Audi ones, but I think they look OK

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I got hold of a set of centre caps from the 6 spoke Skoda Vega alloys fitted to the elegance spec octy.IMG_20141123_125807_zpsajsikhet.jpg

I had to cut the lugs off the back to get them to sit flush. They are slightly larger than the Audi ones, but I think they look OK

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thank you, I always wondered if those centre caps would fit. I don't suppose you have the part numbers for them?

Right so bought some Audi A3 wheels for my Octy cr VRS (yes yes, I know I'm selling it and shouldn't spend money on it....)

Currently on 18s with 225/40R18 92 Y

Would it be ok on 16s with 205/55R16 91 T?

Right so bought some Audi A3 wheels for my Octy cr VRS (yes yes, I know I'm selling it and shouldn't spend money on it....)

Currently on 18s with 225/40R18 92 Y

Would it be ok on 16s with 205/55R16 91 T?

Yes, but watch out for that T speed rating (118mph).  If you have maxidot you can set a speed alarm under the Winter Tyres section.  As you're using Audi alloys I would play safe and tell your insurer about the alloys and the rating of the winter tyres.

Winters on today.. oem Neptunes this year as I sold my spare set of rims (kinda regretting that but not much I can do about it now)

Brand new set of 4 "Goodyear Ultragrip 8 Performance": 225/40 92Y XL

15890185165_cb91f482cd.jpg

Goodyear ultragrip 8 performance by lotus-gt, on Flickr

£590 quid but they should last me a few seasons hopefully, and as they are load/speed rated like oem summer boots the car is not compromised at all in terms of performance :)

Yes, but watch out for that T speed rating (118mph). If you have maxidot you can set a speed alarm under the Winter Tyres section. As you're using Audi alloys I would play safe and tell your insurer about the alloys and the rating of the winter tyres.

Called my insurance co today (elephant) and informed them I would be putting a set of smaller alloys and winter tyres in the vehicle. They were completely uninterested in what I was putting on, and wanted to charge me £17.50 for an admin fee.i challenged this and said I would be changing them come the warmer weather, and that I wasn't going to pay an admin fee as they wasn't a change or modification as I was only improving the safety blah blah blah and they waivered the fee, but still didn't want to know any details about the tyres.useless.anyway, I'll put a pic up next week when I fit them

I wish I had the space/money for winter tyres, such a good idea

Tyre shop is storing the summers for me FOC.

Overall cost is no more - while I'm running the winters my summers are getting a rest. If you do say, 20k miles per set of tyres, assuming say you keep the car for 80k miles, that's 4 sets in total over the life of the car. If one of these sets are winters (swapped on only for the cold months) your overall cost won't be significantly more.. yes you have a cost for the swap overs, which I why I previously had a spare set of rims..

• Like 1

Called my insurance co today (elephant) and informed them I would be putting a set of smaller alloys and winter tyres in the vehicle. They were completely uninterested in what I was putting on, and wanted to charge me £17.50 for an admin fee.i challenged this and said I would be changing them come the warmer weather, and that I wasn't going to pay an admin fee as they wasn't a change or modification as I was only improving the safety blah blah blah and they waivered the fee, but still didn't want to know any details about the tyres.useless.anyway, I'll put a pic up next week when I fit them

Have a look at this from the association of British insurers.

https://www.abi.org.uk/Insurance-and-savings/Products/Motor-insurance/Winter-tyres

Some want a call to let them know you have fitted winter tyres, some don't, none should charge you.

Good on you for standing your ground.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Edited by fairlight5

0b3f65aa4da7f277ddeaf177e8e9ecdc.jpg

These are my winter wheels, well they are my all year round wheels to be fair. Wanting to get them all refurbed and painted but gotta wait for some money first [emoji17]

Nice looking wheels but an awfully lot of spokes and tight corners to clean!  I think I will stick with my 5-spoke winter wheels for easier cleaning.

• Like 1

Winter wheels on! Alloys were £200 from eBay and I put 2 other winter tyres on, so cost me less than £300!

post-119919-0-38610500-1417529231_thumb.jpg

Just need to sort out the audi caps, not sure what to do with them. Also what pressure do they need to run at (205/55/R16). My fuel cap only gives me pressures for 17/18s as its a VRS.

• 2 weeks later...

I've put 16" steelies on for the past couple of years but I'm planning to switch to a MK3 vRS soon I hope so went for some 17" with Nokian's, the 16" will go on the g/f's Leon.

They are a bit darker that I'd thought they would be but should suit a MK3 a bit more, particularly in race blue or white;

WP_20141208_09_34_48_Pro.jpg

Edited by Spongefactory
  • Like 1

Will stick with my snow socks for emergencies. Don't need to be on the road in all weathers like you guys and have recently retired. Had some all weather Vredesteins a few years ago on my VW Passat and they were superb all rounders. Only one set of wheels as well.