Show us your winter wheels

I have covered almost 1000 miles since fitting Nokian WR D3 winter tyres in late November and suspect less than 200 miles was at temperatures below 7C.  However, during one 60 mile trip at 3-4C on very wet roads traction was noticeably better than when on summer tyres (Conti 2) on wet roads.

winters are on was driving through slush and snow on christmas eve to the airport.

traction control light was flashing alll the time with the old tyres (random assortment of ditchfinders)

firestone winterhawks quieter than the old tyres as well

need some nice shiny alloys for the summer though not seen too many for sale up here in nw ireland

post-111034-0-03833400-1388584720_thumb.jpg

The size and dimensions of my winters are the same as my summers (17") so my rolling resistence should be same (aside from the different / deeper tread pattern).

I've actually seen a decrease in MPG but I'm hoping this is down to the lower temperatures and winter diesel?

Just got a second hand set of four steel 16" wheels ET 50 fitted with 205/55 Conti TS 850's for £300.  2 had 7.5mm and 2 had 8mm of tread left, had only been used for 1 winter so I'm dead chuffed.

Fitted them just before Christmas and I think I've only seen a couple of early morning temps below 7 deg C, bloody typical. Had one long run from Hampshire to Cheltenham and Bristol return, mostly in very heavy rain. They're better than my Eagle F1 Assy 2's in standing water but aren't as straight line stable; I could feel the sidewall flex even running pressures 0.3 bar higher than std. Fuel consumption reached about 48 mpg on the way back though I did keep my cruise below 80.

Very impressed so far I have to say.

Nothing like up to the standards of all the good looking alloy wheels above, but I've just fitted some plastic wheel trims to my steel winter wheels that I at least don't think look too bad:

2b833fd6-6386-41e7-86a7-4839f7659b29_zps

The wheel trims came with central VW stickers that I've left off. Not sure if I'll bother buying some Skoda ones or not yet.

• 1 month later...

I've just bought a set of Audi 16"  alloy rims from Ebay and had Continental TS850 Wintercontacts fitted. 

The wheels are an exct match ( 6.5J ET50) and are stamped  "SOUFTEC". Googling revelaled they're OEM Audi wheels ( 8P0601025AA) made by Fuchs in Hungary. You can buy them new at £1500 a set (plus Audi centres!) :wonder:

post-88176-0-56251200-1391533300_thumb.jpg

I won't laugh to much when I see you out on the road with the trims blue lol. The local kwik fit wants £80 to put my winters on, no a hope in hell I'm paying that to them robbers. The place across from mac d's only wants £40

Hi meta55b

My name is Adam i am on this site as i own a Fabia. I was looking through the site and noticed you had your tyres changed in Elgin. I have recently taken over as the manager in Kwik fit Elgin and please feel free to call and ask for me by name when you need tyres swapping over and i will sort this for you

No brainer really :)

You obviously have to take into account storing one set of wheels somewhere, while the others are in use. That's about the only issue to consider really.

Could easily have left the summers on to be honest!

A few early morning commutes have seen sub 7 degree temperatures but not enough!

Hasn't really changed over a month later either, has it?!

I'm changing winter wheels again next week (ooh shiny) but could quite easily have them wrapped in summer tyres. I'm not going to though......

• 8 months later...
Please, Show some photos of Skoda Octavia Estate II on 16" winter wheels the best would be Blue racing :)

We use 16" alloys from an Audi A6 on our Octavia.  The pictures are on page 4 of this thread - clicky

Edited by JulieD

Winter mode:

IMG_4349.JPG

Original S class Mercedes wheels with Kumho studded tyres.

That looks great.

LHD and studded tyres - obviously not in the UK - where are you?

That looks great.

LHD and studded tyres - obviously not in the UK - where are you?

I'm liking them too! On the look out for a set to replace my 16 for summer use - they could well fit the bill. My car is black magic metallic so nice to have a pic in the right colour :-)

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk