Fabia vRS still not happy

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He reckons that the tips of the injectors may have been damaged by metal shards when the turbo disintegrated and this might be what is causing them to spray unevenly.

I'll see what tomorrow brings when I test drive it. I can't believe he took it on the motorway today driving at 90mph (or so he says) without being able to tell there's something wrong with the boost!

That is a potential as the injector tips sit right in the bowl of the piston as it comes up. However, the tips do sit in a kind of shroud in the head, so are fairly well protected from damage. Not saying it couldn't happen though.

It would have to be a lot more than 'may' have in my book to warrant £1600 worth of injectors

Quite!

Is it possible to test injectors, other than looking at their output on VCDS? (Which I will have another look at once I get the car back to see if they are still as erratic as they were.)

Jason...If its ok, if you bring the injectors to WSM can we "borrow" them, just as a last-resort troubleshooting step?

Thinking might have to bribe everyones favorite Tech1e to come up for the weekend..... did someone say cider, big slabs o meat and xbox? emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

He also says he's taken it for a drive at 90mph and there's nothing wrong with the boost.

I'd freak out if I found out a bl00dy mechanic had been blasting round in my poorly car at 90mph. Bloody animal. Sack him.

I'd freak out if I found out a bl00dy mechanic had been blasting round in my poorly car at 90mph. Bloody animal. Sack him.

You think thats bad - my (ex) garage mechanic took my Skoda 105 down the M1 at 90 after I booked it in complaining of a hesitation whilst accelerating gently from low speed. The 105 has a top speed of 80 so to do 90 must have not done it any good as next week the head gasket blew.

You think thats bad - my (ex) garage mechanic took my Skoda 105 down the M1 at 90 after I booked it in complaining of a hesitation whilst accelerating gently from low speed. The 105 has a top speed of 80 so to do 90 must have not done it any good as next week the head gasket blew.

:o :'(

Well, I took the car for a quick spin at lunchtime to try and demonstrate the boost problem to Grumpy, took it up exactly the same sliproad which it struggled on on Friday and... it was okay! D'oh! However the whooshy noise is still happening. He claimed it was just turbo-kicking-in noise but then said he couldn't hear a whooshy noise anyway, just the drone of a turbo. His verdict, there's nothing wrong with the boost (or nothing that new injectors won't fix) and that the noise is just "different" not a sign that something is wrong. Maybe, maybe not. I'll get a second opinion I think!

I'm picking the car up tomorrow (I was in a borrowed car today) so will see how it feels and take it from there. As yet, he hasn't asked me for any more money (he won't be getting any!). He told me it's had a new boost sensor and a new air mass sensor (at his expense) as he thought they may have been causing problems.

He is adamant that it needs new injectors (and who knows, he may be right) and won't be doing anything more with it until I present him with some injectors to fit. His theory about why the car sends out a massive cloud of smoke when I start it is that one of the injectors is leaking diesel and that the smoke is the result of that being burnt off.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping for a visit from a certain Tech1e in a couple of weeks to have a look at it. I've got some second hand injectors on standby if that's what it needs. Hope it gets sorted soon cos the fuel consumption is 36mpg average and used to be about 47mpg! :(

I took the car to my friendly mechanic near work this morning and within an hour he had found the source of the whooshy noise (yes, that noise the other guy claimed he couldn't even hear!) - a leak in the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler. So, the replacement pipe has been ordered and will be fitted tomorrow. I knew there was something wrong!

Okay, the good news is that the whooshing noise has gone courtesy of the replacement pipe. The bad news is there is oil leaking all over the place so I have to take it to the original garage to get looked at cos the oil is coming from around all the work they were doing (near the new turbo and new oil pump) and friendly mechanic says he really doesn't want to have to charge me to sort it when they should be sorting it for free.

So, it's off to see Mr Grumpy again tomorrow and get him to look at it AGAIN! And tell him, yes, I was right, there was a leaky pipe. Sigh... Not letting him loose on my injectors tho!

Friendly mechanic had the car up on the ramp so I could have a look at the underside this evening and see the oil leaks and he says the car's had a new sump. This is odd cos Mr Grumpy never mentioned he'd replaced it. Wonder if they damaged it or something and had to replace it? Hmmm...

Mr Grumpy said the oil's coming from the rocker cover and said "If you buy one, I'll fit it for you." Erm.... now correct me if I'm wrong, but if he's so sure that that is the problem, shouldn't he get the part, sort the problem and then I'll pay him?! To me, that says, "I'm guessing at what the problem is so I want YOU to pay for the part in case that isn't the problem."

Anyway, I've given up on him, I can't be bothered dealing with him, it's a waste of time. He thinks he's done an amazing job of resurrecting my car when in fact he's done a **** poor job!

So, back at friendly mechanic's place, he's had a look at the injectors and said they weren't set up properly at all (why doesn't that surprise me?!) and has redone them. I picked the car up this evening - the good news is that the car is now running smoothly, the bad news is fuel consumption still appears to be terrible (although I have only done 25 miles so will continue monitor for a bit longer). Big test in the morning - see if it starts first time.

Thanks Carlos and thanks devonutopia - I'll let you know about the rocker cover! It's going back in again on Monday to have the oil leak looked at.

On a more positive note, when I filled up yesterday the computer said 360 miles left and 30 miles later it still says 360 miles left so I'm hoping that maybe the fuel efficiency isn't as bad as the mpg is indicating. Fingers crossed!

Oh, and it still wouldn't start properly this morning. :-( Still smoother and nicer to drive though so not all bad!

Edited by Little Katie