Pulled

The other night i got pulled over for no insurance but actually its because the insurers have still not put the car on the MID,

but they were traffic cops from stetchford rather than solihull.

"got some good news and some bad news, ill give you the good. YOU HAVE ONE LLEGAL TIRE"... Oh ****

He showed me round them all and showed me tha guage on each one.

He then said that due to me not having my lisence card on me as i have lost it it will be going through the court and i will recieve something in the post BUT. He should still have given me a producer to give at least my counterpart in. i got back into my car with nothing. he took pictures of my tires BUT NOT OF THE TIRES WITH THE GUAGE SHOWING THE TREAD.

Any idea what this is showing for me? trying to scare me? obviously at the end of the day its my own fault for not keeping an eye on the tires.

just coz you dont have your licence on you doesnt mean it goes thru courts I dont think.

tyres are 3 points and instant fine.

did you sea the pic of the tyres? if he got them on the wear markers then thats all thats needed Id say.

good luck mate.

keep us up to date

edit

must say I am no expert

would rectify them as soon as possible, yes 3 points for the tyres, they cannot do you for no license on you. When the police had no way of checking that you had documents, you had 7 days in which you produce your documents at a police station. Nowadays they can check everything online so no need to give you a producer. As you had 3 illegel tyres this is maybe why you did not get a fixed penalty fine . Some advice here http://www.nopenalty...ythepolice.html

If you don't have your license on you then they should give you a producer.

It goes to court if you cannot provide both the counterpart and the card within 7 days.

I thought they had to give you paperwork to say you had been stopped?

Sort your tyre(s) and hope you don't hear anything more.

3 bald tyres with winter on the way in a 'performance' car, even with your license in your pocket and showing as insured you would have been lucky for him to give you a fixed penalty. Surprised he let you drive the car away tbh, must have been close to limit rather than miles beyond it. Good luck in court, i would wear elasticated trousers if I where you to save time.

Have you any excuse? where the tires only bald on the inside edge or all the way across? If the former I have sympathy, the latter, not a lot.

Billy 2981, the fuzz said good news so |I am guessing the op meant he had 1 legal tyre :thumbdown:

He would not have given you a fixed penalty for 3 illegal tyres which is why he is probably going to summons you to court for the offence of having 3 illegal tyres. If he did not give you a Hort1 (producer) I would not worry about having to produce your documents just wait for the summons letter through the post and get your excuses ready :'(

Not really sure but it's not a court offence just for not carrying your licence as far as I remember anyway

No it's not. In fact, producing your license at the scene is pretty much an admission of guilt. However, given that one tyre was obviously illegal then there's no point arguing. You should consider yourself lucky. Illegal tyres are supposed to be instant 3 points and £500 fine PER TYRE from the posters I have seen in local motor factors (although, perhaps that's area dependant, not sure).

And counterpart alone is not good enough for a producer. The card is the main part of the license, and if lost the DVLA should be notified IMMEDIATELY and a replacement requested.

If I were feeling particularly pedantic though, I'd have asked to see the calibration certificate for his guage. ;)

However if the tyres were blantantly under the limit, I'd have shut my mouth, and expected the worst. But then this would've never happened to me anyway, since I'm very careful about tyres.

Don't worry about the driving licence, they can find out if you have a driving licence in about 10 seconds. With the tyres, you can't be given a fixed penalty for more than one offence, if there's more than one offence it has to be dealt with by means of summons.

It is 3 points per tyre but if I remember correctly one 1 set of three points will count towards your maximum of 12 but your licence will show 9 if you have three bald ones.

With regards to the photos, they'll just show the car with the tyres fitted, the depth of the tread will just be in the officers statement which is plenty to prove the offence.

I would request a new licence ASAP as technically it is an offence not to produce at the road side but it is never and will never be prosecuted unless you fail to produce with a hort1.

The fpn for tyres is £60 and three points not £500! The highest fpn you can receive is £200 / 6 points and that's for no insurance.

Ps there's calibration needed for a tyre depth gauge! Nor are you entitled to see it if there was one.

Edited by mdon

In Dorset you can get THREE fixed penalty notices (FPN)in one hit, so that would have been an instant 9 points & £240 fine for you. Other forces may only allow two or a maximum of two offences before reporting for summons, hence why you have been summonsed to court. I take it he reported you at the road side and said something like "your going to be reported for the consideration of prosecuting you for having three illegal tyres" or words to that effect? If so, expect a court summons within 6 months. If you have got three illegal tyres, you might find yourself with less than nine points should you plead guilty. Good luck.

Regarding the licence, little people know that it is an offence 'not to be able to produce it to a constable upon request'- however the reality is, not many people carry it with them, hence why the producer or HORT/1 form was introduced. That applies the same for certificate of insurance & MOT.

Ps there's calibration needed for a tyre depth gauge! Nor are you entitled to see it if there was one.

EVERY measuring instrument requires calibration in order to prove it is reading correctly. You're not entitled to see it, no, but lack of one pretty much invalidates the offence without other ways and means, although I suspect visual evidence from an experienced traffic cop is probably enough to seal the deal, so to speak.

It is purely smartarsedness to even ask such a thing though, and best not advised, really, unless you have a good reason for arguing.

Traffic cops are generally good sorts. It's when you get pulled by the regular bobbies for traffic offences you know you're on a hiding to nothing as they're often a whole lot less reasonable and usually know a lot less about regs, but it's always these that I like to give a hard time whenever I'm in the right. :giggle:

EVERY measuring instrument requires calibration in order to prove it is reading correctly. You're not entitled to see it, no, but lack of one pretty much invalidates the offence without other ways and means, although I suspect visual evidence from an experienced traffic cop is probably enough to seal the deal, so to speak.

It is purely smartarsedness to even ask such a thing though, and best not advised, really, unless you have a good reason for arguing.

Traffic cops are generally good sorts. It's when you get pulled by the regular bobbies for traffic offences you know you're on a hiding to nothing as they're often a whole lot less reasonable and usually know a lot less about regs, but it's always these that I like to give a hard time whenever I'm in the right. :giggle:

I don't know what the officers use around your way but in my county they use sealed devices that can't be calibrated.

I don't know what the officers use around your way but in my county they use sealed devices that can't be calibrated.

Even steel rules have to be calibrated to prove their accuracy. Stuff 'em anyways. I have calibrated verniers in the back of my motor, they can argue against them till they're blue in the face if they like. :rofl:

Not that I've got anything against police mind, after all my eldest brother is one.

three were gone. quite a bit of uneven wear in tho to be fair..

but he only did me for the one tyre :S he said he does one tyre for each offence.

ill wait for the letter i guess.. hopefully it will be court via post rather than turning up for it.

i did check them and thought, they need doing soon but as it was gripping nicely i had no clue they had got that bad.

all replaced for 50 for some mid range.

three were gone. quite a bit of uneven wear in tho to be fair..

but he only did me for the one tyre :S he said he does one tyre for each offence.

ill wait for the letter i guess.. hopefully it will be court via post rather than turning up for it.

i did check them and thought, they need doing soon but as it was gripping nicely i had no clue they had got that bad.

all replaced for 50 for some mid range.

Well I have no sympathy to be honest, it only takes a second to check and worn tyres will grip perfectly until the road is wet and then they'll just let go. I hope you've been passed your test for more than two years?

Also you will be able to enter a plea by letter but my advice is go to the court as most magistrates take a dislike to people who can't be bothered to turn up.

Even steel rules have to be calibrated to prove their accuracy. Stuff 'em anyways. I have calibrated verniers in the back of my motor, they can argue against them till they're blue in the face if they like. :rofl:

Not that I've got anything against police mind, after all my eldest brother is one.

Yeah they will have been when they were new but there's any certificate! At least the ones I have used haven't.

Yeah they will have been when they were new but there's any certificate! At least the ones I have used haven't.

Calibration has to be annual at bare minimum. Certain precision instruments have to be 6 monthly.

Calibration has to be annual at bare minimum. Certain precision instruments have to be 6 monthly.

Ha ha who ever has told you that is talking rubbish!

Police can prosecute you for speeding by going off a standard uncalibrated speedo! It has to be over a certain percentage but it can be done, there's even a stated case!

I got pulled for 96mph on the M62 a couple of years back, copped me with a gun then pulled me over, decided not to go down the " Has it been Calibrated route " but said he had the option of me having my day in court or £60 and 3 points, to which I replied " Thanks, I'll take the Fine "

A day in court would have cost me a lot more

You were lucky, they have the option of what to give you for the first 25 mph over the limit, after that its court.

I had same thing in H west doin 63 on 2 lane bit in town and he said he could give me the fine. Or summons. But he said ill not give you the fine coz If I had contested and they looked at the gun he would of got in the poo for lying.

What a t**t! I said I wouldn't do that as your doing me a huge favor by doing it and you have me bang to rights.

335 fine and 6 points later.......

Wish the pratt copper had not said anything really. Just like the game show,

Unlucky, let's have a look at what you could of won...........

Ha ha who ever has told you that is talking rubbish!

Police can prosecute you for speeding by going off a standard uncalibrated speedo! It has to be over a certain percentage but it can be done, there's even a stated case!

Not if challenged they can't (unless ridiculously over). Anybody losing such a case should be looking for a better lawyer, period, stated cases or no. A recorded case is not outlining the law, nor is it necessarily setting a precedent.

Calibration intervals are standard in ANY job requiring the use of any types of precision measuring instruments, wherever proof is required.

Every tyre has a serial number. It's not enough to just take a photo without that number and say it was on a particular car. Therefore, should have given a FPN or summons to follow both with said serial number of offending tyre(s).