Dissapointed

A6TDH

Light fuse & stand back.

After having 3 Octavia VRS over the last 6 years my present VRS was coming up to 2 years & I thought it was time for a change. Influenced by the write ups & the glowing reports on here I bought my first Yeti. Didn't want to wait so bought a 6 months old 4x4 SE 110. Having lived with it for a few weeks I am sorry to say my initial reaction is dissapointment. I drive loads or different cars in my part time job delivering rental cars & I bought my first Skoda based on the fact that ther was nothing better or as good for anywhere near the money. Since then I have been a convert but I just can't see what the hype is with the Yeti.Yes its a "nice" car but there are lots on similar vehicles out there for the same money. My new car is noisy & rough ( for a CR TDI), trim rattles & a choppy ride, there seems nothing to make it stand out above the rest of the crowd.

Really sorry because I wanted so much to like it. Time to see if I can swap it for another Octavia.

Edited by A6TDH

It's all in the specs - except for the rattles.

Coming from an Octavia VRS, it would seem underpowered and with the UK preponderence of 17" wheels, have a weird ride.

After 4 years and 120,000 km in an Octy 2.0 PD Combi and now 2 years and 60,000 km in the Yeti, the Yeti is more refined, quicker and more poised than the Octy and much quieter. Definitely no squeeks or rattles at al.

Edited by Agerbundsen

Light fuse & stand back.

After having 3 Octavia VRS over the last 6 years my present VRS was coming up to 2 years & I thought it was time for a change. Influenced by the write ups & the glowing reports on here I bought my first Yeti. Didn't want to wait so bought a 6 months old 4x4 SE 110. Having lived with it for a few weeks I am sorry to say my initial reaction is dissapointment. I drive loads or different cars in my part time job delivering rental cars & I bought my first Skoda based on the fact that ther was nothing better or as good for anywhere near the money. Since then I have been a convert but I just can't see what the hype is with the Yeti.Yes its a "nice" car but there are lots on similar vehicles out there for the same money. My new car is noisy & rough ( for a CR TDI), trim rattles & a choppy ride, there seems nothing to make it stand out above the rest of the crowd.

Really sorry because I wanted so much to like it. Time to see if I can swap it for another Octavia.

Sorry to hear that you are dissapointed with your Yeti. I assume you test drove one before you purchased it. After coming from an Octavia myself my one niggle on test driving the Yeti was the ride quality compared to the Octavia. In fact I took two test drives and a long period of deliberation before I decided to take the plunge. The ride quality appears to be worse on those models fitted with 17" wheels. I,ve had the car over a year now and have had no niggles with trim rattles or excess noise. The handling and practicality of the Yeti suit my present situation. I have yet to make a decision as to whether or not my next car will also be a Yeti. Having said that, I have not ruled it out the main factor will be "price to change".

Why on earth did you not consider the implications before you bought a Yeti.

I live in the "wilds" on the Lleyn peninsular where the Yeti is the perfect vehicle for the job, it handles the rough roads well, has seen me through two snowy and icy winters (without winter tyres!!!!???!!!) and has looked after us perfectly in the rougher conditions expected in the countryside.

In the last five weeks I have had cause to stay in Manchester for the weekdays. I found the Yeti hard work in the traffic and the stop/starts did not suit it. Both my wife and I agreed that, if we came back to live in suburbia, we would exchange dear old Betty for a saloon or estate.

The phrase "Horses for Courses" describes the situation perfectly.

Referring to the "hard" ride. It may seem jiggly after a saloon suspension but it is perfect for the job it is designed to do. I had an X-Trail before Betty and I find the ride no worse. The firm suspension gives the car good road holding with very little roll on corners so driving on the A roads from Manchester to Lleyn is a joy. Driving the A55 or the M56 is just boring!

So, while I understand your disappointment, I think you are not comparing the Yeti to a saloon in a fair manner, they are designed to do different jobs.

I have to say that I agree with A6TDH. The trim rattles in my 59 plate Yeti are far worse than the other cars in the house - an 2002 120k mile Honda and a 1998 180k mile Lexus. Prior to my ownership it had a new air con compressor under warranty and is currently in the garage having its rear doors resprayed, dash top storage box replaced - the button broke, and towbar electrics sorted under warranty. This comes as a shock because the other cars have never had anything except routine servicing.

I would be interested to know if anybody else has come from what I consider to be well assembled cars like Honda and Toyota to Skoda and think Skoda is a poor 2nd.

The ride is not as good as I had hoped, I will be removing the 17" wheels and putting on 16" wheels with winter tyres soon. Hopefully that will help.

I did test drive prior to purchase but because it was a used private sale I only did a 15 minute one.

As for the dealers :thumbdown:

Edited by idrubie

I have to say that I agree with A6TDH. The trim rattles in my 59 plate Yeti are far worse than the other cars in the house - an 2002 120k mile Honda and a 1998 180k mile Lexus. Prior to my ownership it had a new air con compressor under warranty and is currently in the garage having its rear doors resprayed, dash top storage box replaced - the button broke, and towbar electrics sorted under warranty. This comes as a shock because the other cars have never had anything except routine servicing.

I would be interested to know if anybody else has come from what I consider to be well assembled cars like Honda and Toyota to Skoda and think Skoda is a poor 2nd.

The ride is not as good as I had hoped, I will be removing the 17" wheels and putting on 16" wheels with winter tyres soon. Hopefully that will help.

I did test drive prior to purchase but because it was a used private sale I only did a 15 minute one.

As for the dealers :thumbdown:

I wonder if there was an issue with trim on early examples? I have had 5 Octavias and this is my first yeti. I really don't see any difference between build quality between the two. My yeti is the same high standard I have come to expect. As for ride quality I have actually found that on the small country roads I drive quite often the yeti is much better on the twisting, undulating roads. I do about half and half town and country with a once a week motorway trip. The 1.2 is not as powerful as the 2.0 I had previously but frankly I have been blown away by how well the 1.2 pulls, it's only rarely I find myself having to change down where previuously I might have not had to.

I wouldn't rave about the yeti as opposed to the Octavia, they are both "just" cars and both drive very well. No quality issues with either in my experience. But on the back roads the yeti is a lot more fun than the Octavia, bu then I found that my old 1.6 Felicia was better on those than my first Octavia too. The Octy is a motorway mile cruncher.

Horse for courses I guess.

Have owned or extensively driven every model (not every trim level obviously) of Skoda starting with a late 80’s Rapid 136 and personally I have found my current Yeti to be the most comfortable best to drive so far, although that’s my take on it.

As other posters have pointed out the 17” alloys appear to effect the ride quality compared to the 16” option. Having now run Yeti TDI 4x4 on both wheel options, I have to say there is a marked difference. Found the same with the Octavia II Sport and Scout; the 17” rims and wide low profile tyres produced an uncomfortable ride on all but the smoothest surface, compared with the 15 and 16” options on other trims. Also please remember the Yeti is designed to run on both road and track, so I feel it’s unfair to compare a Yeti to a car designed purely for high speed road use.

Regard rattles then I must be unfortunate as most Skoda’s I’ve driven or owned since around 2005 (both my Yeti’s included) have suffered from this irritation. The modern materials used and accident protection measures I’m sure don’t help along with the growth in tyre width and reduction in profile. Skoda does not appear to be alone with this problem, found BMW’s, Honda’s, VW’s, Fords and Vauxhalls to also suffer issues with rattles.

Personally I think you may have fallen into the hype trap rather than finding out if the car is really for you. Did that myself a long while back when the Peugeot 306 first came on the market. Almost the worst car I’d ever bought other than a second hand BMW 525ix.

TP

No one is guaranteed to like a car otherwise we would all be driving the same one. That is why you take a test drive and try it out. Normal people try one and then don't get it if they don't like it. For me, I find the Yeti the best car that I have driven, better than my last Volvo S40, Seat Toledo, Vauxhall Vectra etc. but it is not compulsory that everyone agrees.

I agree with the sentiment of 'horses for courses'. After a Rover 75, and a Jaguar XJ as my 'indulgence' car, the Yeti ride is a bit firm. But we live in the fens, where the state of the raods is appalling, and downright dangerous in winter conditions (you don't want to go into a fenland drain in winter - you are unlikely to come out alive). The Rover cost a fortune in replacement suspension parts over the years - broken springs, worn suspension arms etc. We have just bought a holiday cottage in Wales (near Porthmadog- we'll look out for Terfyn when we are there next week - if you see a Muscovado Yeti **60 JUT in Rhyd, that will be us !), and need a practical car for taking stuff down there, and coping with any winter conditions. The Yeti fitted the bill nicely, and so far, we have found it great to drive -nippy, very stable handling, good grip, and incredibly practical (I took the seats out and got a wardrobe in the back of it yesterday !). No problems with rattles on our 60 plate car - it all feels very solid and well made.

No car is perfect, but in terms of being more than 'fit for our purpose', the Yeti does the job very well.

Pete

The only point where I differ is on the rattling trim. Either I have been lucky and my 59 Yeti was put together by a 25 stone wrestler or, after the XT and a Terrano, I am used to the rattles. Either way it has not been a problem that has affected my Yeti.

Having owned an ancient Land Rover SWB with a canvas roof everything else is just a silent bliss.:giggle:

We have just bought a holiday cottage in Wales (near Porthmadog- we'll look out for Terfyn when we are there next week - if you see a Muscovado Yeti **60 JUT in Rhyd, that will be us !), and need a practical car for taking stuff down there, and coping with any winter conditions. The Yeti fitted the bill nicely, and so far, we have found it great to drive -nippy, very stable handling, good grip, and incredibly practical (I took the seats out and got a wardrobe in the back of it yesterday !). No problems with rattles on our 60 plate car - it all feels very solid and well made.

Is that Rhyd or Rhyd Ddu near Beddgelert? You will find the Yeti ideal for Rhyd and the steep climb from the Oakley Arms. ( Rhyd, for the masses, is a tiny but beautiful village high in the hills with unbeatable views across the Glaslyn estuary)

Edited by Terfyn

Besides a 1.8 TSi Yeti, I drive a £60,000 BMW and a Mini. The Yeti, which is on 17" wheels, has the best ride of the three cars in some (not all) respects. The Yeti's build quality is better than that of the Mini and in some ways as solid as that of the BMW, though it can't compete with the quality of materials of the BMW (which, after all, cost three times what the Yeti cost). The Yeti, from March 2011, has no rattles.

So I don't find the weaknesses that the OP finds in the Yeti at all. I have, however, encountered some unreliable electronics; some of the dealers and Skoda UK are very unprofessional compared to BMW in particular; the seats are nowhere near as comfortable or well designed as those of a luxury car; the fuel consumption of the 1.8 petrol engine is not great. Otherwise, I'm content.

Is that Rhyd or Rhyd Ddu near Beddgelert? You will find the Yeti ideal for Rhyd and the steep climb from the Oakley Arms. ( Rhyd, for the masses, is a tiny but beautiful village high in the hills with unbeatable views across the Glaslyn estuary)

Rhyd near the Oakley arms

Pete

Rhyd near the Oakley arms

Pete

Lucky you, it is a great location.

Half term will see us on the WH Heritage railway at Porthmadog with our three and five year old grandkids (shorter than the WH+ Ffestiniog so they don't get bored)

A bit of advice from one who has owned a holiday home for 53 years. (Now living in it) Make sure that you can drain the water completely from your plumbing before packing up for winter. It gets very cold up there. When you find a trustworthy person who can keep an eye on your property, give them your phone number for emergencies. (Sorry if I sound booring)

When we had oil fired heating fitted, I bought a phone switch. This would turn the boiler on using a coded phone call and the house would be warm by the time we arrived. (it only operated at 13 Amp so would be of little use for electric night storage)

I haven't driven an Octavia, but I have driven several Mk5 and Mk6 Golfs. The ride of the Golf is much better due to the lower suspension travel. With regards to rattles, mine had some rattles to the A-pillar which was fixed as it was a known problem.

As an ex-Octavia owner, I am sure you have read about sticking velcro on the area where the dash is touching the door rubber - that might help.

Lucky you, it is a great location.

Half term will see us on the WH Heritage railway at Porthmadog with our three and five year old grandkids (shorter than the WH+ Ffestiniog so they don't get bored)

A bit of advice from one who has owned a holiday home for 53 years. (Now living in it) Make sure that you can drain the water completely from your plumbing before packing up for winter. It gets very cold up there. When you find a trustworthy person who can keep an eye on your property, give them your phone number for emergencies. (Sorry if I sound booring)

When we had oil fired heating fitted, I bought a phone switch. This would turn the boiler on using a coded phone call and the house would be warm by the time we arrived. (it only operated at 13 Amp so would be of little use for electric night storage)

Thanks Terfyn

I think it is a condition of our insurance that the water is drained between November and March if the proprerty is left empty for more than 2 weeks, and some form of heating is left on 'frostguard' settings. The cottage only has elctricity and storage heaters - the previous owners told us that they just left a couple of the heaters on a low setting when they were not there over the winter, and they never had any problems wiht frozen pipes. We do hope to visit over the winter - we will be there next next week, then I will be back in November for a climbing/scrambling course in Capel Curig. We have already lined up a cleaner/maintenance person to keep an eye on the property, and do the cleaning/cut the grass at changover times.

I realise that we are straying off the topic of Yetis here, but thanks for your interest - perhaps see you around the Porthmadog area sometime !

Regards

Pete

Influenced by the write ups & the glowing reports on here I bought my first Yeti. Didn't want to wait so bought a 6 months old 4x4 SE 110. Having lived with it for a few weeks I am sorry to say my initial reaction is disappointment.

Yeti is obviously built up from the communal VW parts bin so no reason to think that - on average- component and build quality, rattles etc will be any worse or any better than most other vehicles from the same generic VW stable.

But the Yeti is primarily designed as a compact 4x4 and inevitably that's going to influence characteristics like ride quality - what else would you expect (at least not without straying into Disco/Range Rover territory)?

I agree that interior noise is one of the more disappointing Yeti features (substantially more sound insulation would be good to see in a Yeti 2) and the seats are rather low-rent - not uncomfortable, but wouldn't be difficult to make them a bit more generous and supportive. But every vehicle has its pros and cons.

I suspect that what appeals to most Yeti fans is the unique combination of features that the Yeti offers - a genuine 4x4 in an unusually compact body for its internal space; looks unmistakeably like a real 4x4-type vehicle (albeit with some quirks to the styling) and not, as is the case with most crossovers, like a regular jelly-mould hatchback to which someone's attached a high-pressure air-line; relatively affordable; and - unlike most 4x4's - able to be hustled along country roads quite smartly in relative comfort and with some fun to be had into the bargain.

I genuinely don't know what other current vehicle offers a comparable combination, but I guess if you don't want or need this complete set of characteristics in a single vehicle then the Yeti may not be for you.

+1Prodata.

That's exactly why I chose the Yeti over it's competitors.

I don't find it uncomfortable or that noisy.

For me it is very nearly spot on for my needs at the moment.

My last few cars have been Volvo V50, Audi A4 Avant, Subaru Forester (crap), VW Passat Estate, VW Golf VR6, VW Golf GTI and BMW 323i. The build quality of my Yeti stands comparison with any of them Furthermore, most years I do two trips by car to the French Alps to ski. I've done that trip in all of the above cars, and last winter's trip in the Yeti was the most comfortable and relaxed of any of them. I'm sorry if some people have less good experiences - but I have no complaints at all

Last car before my Ugly Yeti (term of endearment)was a M-Benz C class 220 cdi elegance (with the first of M-benz CR diesel engines). I find the comfort level in the Yeti is far superior, ride is a little harsher (to be expected-as previously pointed out, horses for courses), handling is far superior.The only rattles I have encountered are on the dash, this is definitely from the silver plastic trim around the speedo & tacho nacelles but only seems to occur during the warm up period. Two weeks ago today at the first service-9000+ miles- the dipstick reading was at 'full' (never had a top-up since new)-shame they still had to change the oil!, the tyre pressures (original tyres) were spot on (never had an air top up since new-I have relied completely on the TPM, the tread wear on front & rear was even & the same depth across the whole tyre (6mm front, 7mm rear) & no faults were found elsewhereSince then, the only problem I have had is with the Columbus system satnav-it does not locate my correct position & shows me miles away, usualy off road!-maybe it's trying to tell me something! :rofl: Seriously, that is the only fault so far, I am delighted with the Yeti. If anybody has had a similar fault with the Columbus satnav, I would be pleased to know if the problem has been solved?

Interesting comments-whilst the Yeti is not faultless it rides a zillion times better than my Tiguan did and is also far far quieter. Those who have owned these cars will understand (but others may think I am bonkers) but the Yeti reminds me partly of the lovely compliant but firm ride of my Alfasud Ti I owned in early 80s and also that effortless gait that Peugeots like the 205 and 306 had .

Sorry to hear problems but this is always likely to happen on any car regardless! I personally loath Honda dealers and their arrgance, not overly impressed by build quality on the Civic I have and wont be buying a Honda agaiin! Who knows what Yeti has in store for me but I 'm sold on the design and build from the vtest drives I have had!

Threads like this are great. It is amazing how different peoples experiences \ expectations are. The best dealers I have visited are BMW and Lexus.

The Yeti is the first Skoda I have owned, I am not going to say it will be the last but the Skoda dealer will not be the first showroom I visit when it comes time to replace it.

Ian

the Skoda dealer will not be the first showroom I visit when it comes time to replace it.

Agreed. I love the car, but I'll never use the dealer (Claybank, Mancs) I bought it from again. I don't take it back there for servicing and I won't buy my next car there. Seriously unimpressed.

Just been back riding on my brother's Mazda Tribute - which is slightly larger than the Yeti - that car only has 20,000 miles so still very new and tight.

On retrospective, the Yeti has very slightly harder ride, and although the Tribute is slightly softer, it is still slightly jiggly on country road, what else, it leans A LOT in the corners, not as much as an old school discovery though! I think the very slightly harder ride is well paid off by the very composed and controlled cornering.

Furthermore, the Yeti (1.2) returned 40 mpg yesterday from Central London to Central Oxford - and no I wasn't driving slowly on the M40 smooth motorway!

The only point where I differ is on the rattling trim. Either I have been lucky and my 59 Yeti was put together by a 25 stone wrestler or, after the XT and a Terrano, I am used to the rattles. Either way it has not been a problem that has affected my Yeti.

+1 - I've not had rattling problems on my 59 reg Yeti 140.

John