front end knocking

Is there any quick test you can do do determine which of the above it is without removing lots of parts? I presume a quick 'tug' on the droplinks would determine if there's any give, but how about the console bush, would a simple look at the bush help?

Is there any quick test you can do do determine which of the above it is without removing lots of parts? I presume a quick 'tug' on the droplinks would determine if there's any give, but how about the console bush, would a simple look at the bush help?

1) console bushes - you need to look at the condition of them under the car, if they are still fitted with the original voided bushes then look for tearing of the webs - between the outer ring and inner ring. Maybe, with the car parked on level ground and the handbrake on - try to "rotate" each front wheel in turn - if the wheel can "walk" forward quite a bit (not a good term!) and you get a rubbery noise, then the console rear bush(es) has been torn.

2) droplinks, can't say, I might have some intermittant knocking coming from them and so I am going to replace them both when its time to change to winter steelies. By the way, I can rotate the drop links so I'm guessing that it's time to replace them as there IS some noise coming from that area.

Wilsy7 does ur knocking come from driverside when the car hits unexpected dips in the road

Mine comes from the front passenger side, does it mainly when going slowly (less road noise so I can hear it maybe) using some steering lock over bumpy roads and braking also does it over speed bumps, it's knock over one bump then the next bump 50 yards away it won't knock. It's very annoying, I had coilovers fitted with new drop links so it's not those but the car knocked before I fitted had fitted then and it still does it. Had the cupra console bushes fitted and powerflex arb bushes fitted and still does it? Any other suggestions?

I've also had a mechanic look over it and can't find anything and passed mot with no advisories. Only thing I can think is a strut top mount issue? Anyway of checking this?

the only thing left to change on mine is ball joints and top mounts suspension wise. Ive also noticed my exhaust has started to knock on start up so im starting to question the engine mounting aswell. can sometimes feel the knock through the steering wheel aswell

the only thing left to change on mine is ball joints and top mounts suspension wise. Ive also noticed my exhaust has started to knock on start up so im starting to question the engine mounting aswell. can sometimes feel the knock through the steering wheel aswell

I feel it through the wheel too, when I had the bushes change I didn't think to change the balljoints at the same time but they looked fine. HOw much are ball joints and new top mounts?

Don't rule out brake pad slap if i'ts more of a dull click, rather than a knocking sounds. Also spray the part of the wishbone where is goes into the console bush with white PTFE grease. No need to dismantle anything, just spray the joint.

Don't rule out brake pad slap if i'ts more of a dull click, rather than a knocking sounds. Also spray the part of the wishbone where is goes into the console bush with white PTFE grease. No need to dismantle anything, just spray the joint.

I'm fairly sure brake pad slip isn't the cause as it def is a knock sound?