Steel rim supplier

servicepoint

I have the chance of a set of good winter tyres so would need to source some steel rims, any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

I have already bought a set from Mytyres, rims and tyres but thinking I will leave these on wifes Golf and take the oppertunity of this set for the SM if it ever arrives!!:yes:

I have the chance of a set of good winter tyres so would need to source some steel rims, any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

I have already bought a set from Mytyres, rims and tyres but thinking I will leave these on wifes Golf and take the oppertunity of this set for the SM if it ever arrives!!:yes:

Your local Skoda dealer......at about £40-£45 each.

Now thats an interesting looking company, but the website says "not available to the general public".

Do you have friends in the "trade"?:smirk:

Yes. But I also asked my local skoda dealer for a bit of discount and they agreed but my mates garage is a lot nearer

Regards

Mike

Now thats an interesting looking company, but the website says "not available to the general public".

Do you have friends in the "trade"?:smirk:

When I rang them (my local TPS) a few months ago they said they were happy to serve me...a mere member of the public....

Can I have a gormless moment please. I have just bought 4 new tyres from Mytyres. They arrived, an outer tyre. People here are talking about buying steel rims but no one talks about an inner tube. Am I being stupid here? Do you have to buy them separately or do they come with the rims?

Edited by EdmundBlackadder

Can I have a gormless moment please. I have just bought 4 new tyres from Mytyres. They arrived, an outer tyre. People here are talking about buying steel rims but no one talks about an inner tube. Am I being stupid here? Do you have to buy them separately or do they come with the rims?

I'll be the first of many.....you don't have an inner tube.

Years ago I had to have inner tubes on an old Austin Maxi due to rusty steel rims that wouldn't make a seal...but nowadays it's tyre straight on to the wheel - alloy or steel.

Blimey, I am amazed at that. They must use a cracking glue to seal the tyre to the rim. Incredible when you think of the pressure of the weight of the car and the speeds they go at. Even hitting a pot hole, how does that not move the rubber from the rim? This news has shaken my day.

Actually no. I have just spoken to one of our regular delivery drivers and he explained how it works. Very clever but how would you know that if it was not explained? I don't spend my weekends taking cars apart or wondering how they work. I get in them and drive. If the tyres look low I pump them up and I assumed it would be like a bicycle tyre set up, which I have taken apart to fix in the past. Everything is obvious once you know it.

I had real problems about 5 years back. I had a little Austin Healey Sprite with wire wheels. The wires fitted into the rim and there wasn't a tight air seal, so I needed inner tubes ... but very hard to find, and even once I'd sourced them very difficult to persuade modern tyre fitters to fit them. "You're not allowed to use tubes with modern tyres mate". Eventually found a little independent old bloke to do it.

Sorry EB, I wasn't being rude, but I thought most people would know that nearly all tyres are now tubeless.

I suspect you are not alone there with your thoughts. I have had car tyre punctures before but when I have taken them to get repaired I have never bothered to watch. The only tyre I have repaired myself is a bike one, an inner tube inside the outer tyre. I just assumed a car tyre was the same. Anyway, I now have a new respect for the humble car tyre which manages to transport around a fair old weight with nothing else to support it, I just wont mention this to other people as their laughter is off putting.

This could be the title of a new thread...what I did'nt know......But as said not everyone knows everything.....I only clicked that K9 in Dr Who was short for canine.....that was at the age of 40! My wife still does'nt let me forget it :D