I will not be buying an Evoque

Sporky McGuffin

Just in case anyone was wondering.

I've started looking at some alternatives before (quite possibly) buying another Yeti - given the current waiting list I'd have to order fairly soon (work requires that my car be no more than 3 years old).

I was going to try a Jag XF for a bit of a change, but the dealer didn't have a suitable demonstrator on Sunday. There's a Land Rover place next door and they had a few shiny new Evoques in so I figured it'd be worth trying.

They're very nice inside. Lovely seats too. Tiny back window though - the view out is appalling. I tried the SD4 auto. Ride is about the same as the Yeti; it didn't feel like it handled quite as well (but it certainly wasn't bad), performance was similar as you'd expect. Maybe a touch quieter at motorway speeds.

Erm... Yes. So it was very nice, but I'm not convinced the nicer seats and plusher interior are worth an extra £15k to me. However, I would not think ill of anyone who bought one. :)

Tiny back window though - the view out is appalling.

Was that the 3-door or 5-door? Doesn't the 5-door have a somewhat higher roofline and hence - presumably - a somewhat deeper slot window at the back?

At least the Evoque is a different manufacturer/platform. I recently spec'd up an Audi Q3 to match my Elegance Yeti (petrol, 4x4, cruise, fancy lights, heated leather, bluetooth etc). I stopped clicking after it hit £32K....

Yes, a few of the plastics/trim are nicer but not £10K nicer.

Just in case anyone was wondering.

I've started looking at some alternatives before (quite possibly) buying another Yeti - given the current waiting list I'd have to order fairly soon (work requires that my car be no more than 3 years old).

I was going to try a Jag XF for a bit of a change, but the dealer didn't have a suitable demonstrator on Sunday. There's a Land Rover place next door and they had a few shiny new Evoques in so I figured it'd be worth trying.

They're very nice inside. Lovely seats too. Tiny back window though - the view out is appalling. I tried the SD4 auto. Ride is about the same as the Yeti; it didn't feel like it handled quite as well (but it certainly wasn't bad), performance was similar as you'd expect. Maybe a touch quieter at motorway speeds.

Erm... Yes. So it was very nice, but I'm not convinced the nicer seats and plusher interior are worth an extra £15k to me. However, I would not think ill of anyone who bought one. :)

Hi If a saloon like the XF is interesting you I would suggest a C or E class Mercedes. The company has really hit form after some poor years.

Michael.

The side mirrors, though, are huge and useful.

THat's because other than the Defender Land Rover usually fit exactly the same ones to every car they make. So they are probably fitted to it's big brother's big brother.

Hi If a saloon like the XF is interesting you I would suggest a C or E class Mercedes. The company has really hit form after some poor years.

Hmm. I was a bit tempted to try a C-class estate, probably a C350 CDI.

I reckon this is about the last opportunity to own (and just about afford to run) a V6.

Ah, but the XF is a thing of beauty that no, current, Merc could match. The interior alone is worth getting one for. I went to a Jaguar gathering at a nearby National Trust house this summer. There were Jags covering 50 years, including E Types, and the XF stood well against them all. Gorgeous.

Evoque?

Has to rank right up there with the Juke as one of the ugliest vehicles currently available (except the Mini Countryman & Mitsubishi L200) - suitable for footballer's wives, Essex bints, junior drug dealers and 'travellers' - white with at least 20" wheels naturally :rofl:

A triumph for the St. Dunstan's design team!

Ah, but the XF is a thing of beauty that no, current, Merc could match. The interior alone is worth getting one for. I went to a Jaguar gathering at a nearby National Trust house this summer. There were Jags covering 50 years, including E Types, and the XF stood well against them all. Gorgeous.

The XF was a thing of beauty. It had a runty 1990s Hyundai nose which they fixed with the recent facelift. But then alas they ruined the lovely rear by giving it totally oval boring Mondeo rear lights........ Urgh. And even though the nose now has lovely squinty eyes they gave it the longest most rediculously bright LED DRL lights known to man that goes the full length, and up, and over, and back again and look as if the stick about 3 inches PAST the car's nose to the sides............... Goodness. On a Jag?!?!

And the interior? Hmmm... I've sat in very many of these twiddling very many of their buttons and things. They look plain inside with lots of cheap plastic in places (especially the door handles inside and out - just listen to plastic clang the exterior handles make next time you open one) and their touch screen interface dates from somewhere in the late 80s. It is painfully slow. The technology you get in a Merc/BMW/Audi is also something the Tetley Tea company can't afford yet... yes Tata that owns and makes Jags also own and make Tetley tea (and Land Rovers). A raising rotatry gear change thingy and LED mood lighting makes a complete lovely interior not.

Do I want one? Yes, since they are (mostly) gorgeous outside and just about passable inside unless you like toys and gadgets. Would I want to park one after having had a Yeti? Can it park itself? No and No. Will the electronics still work in 4 years? Another no I suspect (hence the wave-your-hand-at-it glove box has been replaced swiftly with a proper electric push button).

BUT in the right colour and with the right wheels it IS a lovely car...... and all the foibles I state above just gives it character I guess. One will just have to get used to having very old tech and very few modern executive car toys...

The Evoque: G O R G E O U S! Love it. It is just too expensive. WAY too expensive for what you get.

• Like 1

Evoque?

Has to rank right up there with the Juke as one of the ugliest vehicles currently available (except the Mini Countryman & Mitsubishi L200) - suitable for footballer's wives, Essex bints, junior drug dealers and 'travellers' - white with at least 20" wheels naturally :rofl:

A triumph for the St. Dunstan's design team!

Ah, c'mon - don't hold back, tell us what you really think. :D

I thought it was very nice. Goes well, handles fine, rides well and it's very nice to be in - it just wasn't worth the extra over the Yeti to me. If the diesel had been 220bhp or so that might have been different. Looks-wise I think it's ok - "good-ugly" I s'pose. Not that important when you're inside it.

Edited by Sporky McGuffin

Hi

I know a few people with XF's, very nice cars but Jaguar still have a lot of reliability problems and the main dealer servicing costs are very high. Also XF's go through tyres and brakes at a shocking rate!

Michael.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'd still have one and I know it would make me smile every time I sat behind the wheel. I don't think I would have that feeling with a cold and functional German premier brand, no matter how well screwed together they are.

Think some of the Jags look great, would I part with my hard earned cash for one, not a chance.

Questions over reliability, engines not as efficient as comparative German manufacturers and resale values also lower.

Spending that amount on a car I would go down the German route.

Think some of the Jags look great, would I part with my hard earned cash for one, not a chance.

Questions over reliability, engines not as efficient as comparative German manufacturers and resale values also lower.

Spending that amount on a car I would go down the German route.

Aye... but at one year old an XF is a gorgeous bargain... Especially I'd imagine a petrol V8!

There are plenty of one-year-old 3.0S Portfolios for under £35k - still a lot of money, but quite a lot of car.

Then again, a brand-spanking C350CDI estate would probably cost the same with a touch of discount. I shall report back on my findings - trying both on Saturday.

£35 k for a year old 3.0s Jag, ouch!!!

Not my cup of tea but a very good car and an excellent engine, pre reg delivery miles B) I know what I'd rather have.

http://used.mercedes...pc_approvedused

Sorry just realised that doen't take you right to the car but its a 350cgi blue motion, stacks of extras, 10 miles on the clock for £33k.

Edited by servicepoint

£35 k for a year old 3.0s Jag, ouch!!!

Not my cup of tea but a very good car and an excellent engine, pre reg delivery miles I know what I'd rather have.

http://used.mercedes...pc_approvedused

Sorry just realised that doen't take you right to the car but its a 350cgi blue motion, stacks of extras, 10 miles on the clock for £33k.

I won't deny that an E-class is a sound investment, but in London the only people driving them are the executive minicab firms (Addison Lee et al). So just like in the rest of the country were most sensible private buyers would avoid a low spec Å koda Octavia due them mostly being taxis, in London an E should be avoided for the same reasons. Especially in either black or silver.

Had I had the choice between a £33k XF and an E I'd get the XF. B)

The diesels are a chunk more than that used - still cheaper than the XF though.

I'd be quite happy with another Yeti, just thought it'd be worth trying a few alternatives. With what the Yeti will likely be worth at 3 years old, a one year old XF or C-Class will cost about the same per month as the Yeti did new. Lady Bertie McHobnobs, my best beloved, thinks this is hokey maths. She may have a point.

I'd be quite happy with another Yeti, just thought it'd be worth trying a few alternatives. With what the Yeti will likely be worth at 3 years old, a one year old XF or C-Class will cost about the same per month as the Yeti did new. Lady Bertie McHobnobs, my best beloved, thinks this is hokey maths. She may have a point.

Hi

If you want a real bargain a mate of mine has just bought a 7 month old BMW 530d GT it has every extra on and came from a main dealer. It was over 53k new, he payed 32k. It's not everyone's cup of tea looks wise but is a great car for the money!

Michael.

Sorry, I put cgi, meant to type cdi, it is the diesel 3.0 blue eff. for £33k ;)